Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Found scary thing in bananas! No pictures.

I would not do pictures.  I am not that cruel.  It was a scorpion.  God's little gift of terror.  Here is a copy of what I wrote to the grocery store I bought the bananas from:

"We found a scorpion in our kitchen that must have travelled in on a bunch of bananas.   It's definitely a Central American species (reddish color).  We had noticed little gnats on the bananas.  Mr. Scorpion was probabaly lunching up gnats in a banana field somewhere before his world turned upsidedown. I almost feel sorry for him.  Almost, that is.  I dueled the beast in the kitchen sink and won.  Saved his crushed body for some sort of trophy on the wall.  Well, not really.  Just so the husband can admire my skills against unwanted guests when he gets home.  Perhaps your harvesters can ask any scorpions hidden in bananas to please go home because they are illegal immigrants.  Just don't separate baby scorpions from their parents.  It's cruel.  Detain them together until they can return to the land of banana fields peacefully." 

Long long time ago my dad worked in a grocery warehouse.  He says d it was not uncommon to find big spiders in the cases of bananas.

I hate, hate, hate scorpions.  I lived in Arizona as a little kid and was stung.  Leaves an impression.  This was a reddish one, like the scary venomous ones from Central America.  We've seen a few episodes of border patrol, and they seem to just do samplings of produce.  I can see how easy it would be for spiders or scorpions to catch a ride.  

I am not a fan of bananas and scorpions together.  

Did you hear back from the store? 

Not yet.  Honestly, no one got stung, so it's not like we would sue anyone over it.  They just might take a hit from us not buying bananas for awhile!   There are other fruits that are less dangerous, lol!  

My mother spent winters in Central FL and she had a scorpion in her apartment more than once. But she could just call the manager.

We do have native scorpions, but their sting is more like a bee.  They are also very light tan and live in old wood.  The last one I saw was on a post.  Never seen them inside.  Our house has a masonry frame, though.  

Edited by little cow

My dad worked in a Kroger warehouse when I was little. He told us about large tarantulas found in bananas. We have tarantulas and scorpions here. Our scorpion bites really hurt. I don't mind the tarantulas.

LC,   Thanks for sharing your adventure to the grocery store with us.  Would be interesting to know how far north they travel, & still live.  PD

I've heard there are scorpions in KY, but I've never seen one. And I've lived a very long time.

I read a magazine tip that a whiff of peppermint will clear brain fog. I put some on a cotton ball and I've been huffing it all morning. I'll let you all know if I get any smarter.

Edited by jubal

22 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Aaaaah-aaaaaaah-ah!  That's a big scorpion!  Or maybe that is a tiny wrench?

Very big scorpion:o

Stomp worthy.  But watch that tail popping up!  That is a good reason to wear boots. 

We spent some time in Mexico City and the outlying areas when I was a kid because my aunt and uncle lived there.  It was an awesome experience.  I distinctly remember leaning out of bed, first thing in the morning, to knock my shoes together in case scorpions had found their way in overnight.  The house was very clean and I never found one, but they were on the trails where I played.  

Edited by little cow