Sign in to follow this  
farah

South Africa

I'm so excited! Tomorrow my husband and I leave for 10 days in South Africa! It's been on my bucket list for years, but this year on our 20th anniversary, Chad surprised me with this amazing trip. We will be going mostly for him to bow hunt, we debated bringing my bow with so I could hunt too, but since I've only turkey hunted since I got my bow last year, we decided it'd be best for just him to hunt. We will be at www.africanbarefootsafaris.com and they are mostly focused on bow hunters. There are only 3 huts for people to stay in so it's going to be very personal and focused on us!

Just wanted to share my excitement!!

Oh dear.  I'm glad you are happy and I hope you find the scenery inspiring.  I must admit that the hunting makes me sad.  

Have a great trip! My brother has been there twice and loved it. His wife thought the accommodations were to primitive. She didn't go on the second trip.

My kind of people - hunting vacation and bow hunting at that (my favorite!). What species is he going after?

Enjoy - you two will have a great time I am sure! I looked at the site and it looks beautiful.

We are going to Saskatchewan for a waterfowl hunt next month for our five year!

On 8/29/2018 at 9:57 AM, RailroadWoman said:

Pink are you going goose hunting?  If so have some of it made into sausage as it is really yummy.

We are going geese, ducks, and sandhill crane. Not sure how much we will bring back - but jerky, bologna and sausage are about the only thing we do with the meat. Few years back we had a bunch of snow geese made into summer sausage - that was really good.

Pink Tractor,

He got a Blue Wildebeest yesterday on his first day out. Today he's going for Kudu. I'm going out next week and am going for a Zebra. If I don't seen any Zebras then I'm up for a Kudu! He would also like a Warthog, a Sable and a Gemsbok. I sat in one of the blinds yesterday and saw tons of Guinea Hens, Warthogs and a Kudu cow. Saw Baboons and Giraffes just driving around.

This place is so amazing. 3,000 acres of private land and NO ONE else is here!! Just us, the family that owns the place and their workers. It's like visiting friends and hanging out with them. If this isn't on anyone's bucket list, it should be!

40441559_10216658281586130_7481659396989124608_n.jpg

As for goose, we made a ton of sausage and snack sticks with goose last year. SOOOO good!!

It's not on my bucket list, but a friend of ours went and had an amazing time, too. Though they had a very expensive bill flying their game home for mounting! Do you guys plan to get them mounted? Are you donating meat to those in need there?

Got home yesterday and it was AMAZING! Certainly not a cheap trip. We are getting shoulder mounts of the Wildebeest, Gemsbok and Kudu that my husband shot and European mounts of the Impala and Warthog that he shot on a shield. And my Zebra is going to be a rug. Don't know yet what the shipping cost will be, but the taxidermy costs are about $4,000 (don't have shipping costs yet so that's going to up the price), and that's on top of the $8,800 we spend on tags for the animals, and still had our costs for travel! We ate steaks of all of the animals and the rest of the meat is sold to our outfitters brother who owns a butcher shop. And the best steak in my opinion, Zebra.

I'd post a picture of my Zebra, but know it will upset some people so I won't. :( Honestly, they are NOT an easy animal to hunt. Very, very jumpy and take off at the slightest sound. And as you know being a bow hunter, they have to be pretty close. The one I got was about 15 yards out when I got my shot.

I'd be interested in seeing your zebra when it is a rug.  I appreciate your sensitivity in not showing the hunt photo.  

I'll try to remember to post a picture in 8-12 months when I get it back! It's amazing hold long it takes!!

Our friends who went on the African hunt spent nearly $10,000 - to bring the animals back and mounted. I surely understand the costs.

Heck, we go to Saskatchewan in two weeks and I cringed at the thought of $3500 to hunt birds, lolol.

Feel free to send me pictures of them all mounted, too :) Glad you were able to try the meat before selling it.

Nice animals, Farah - I'm glad you and your hubby have a sport to enjoy together! Heck, if I didn't do it - I'd never see mine!