Sign in to follow this  
RailroadWoman

Long Weekend

Happy Days!!!  Tuesday they come & install the flooring in the living quarters & I can't wait.  Ever slowly getting it done so we can get moved in.

So I asked hubby to get the quarters cleaned out of all the construction stuff, not to mention get the holes drilled for where the piping for bathrooms.  Well I go & check on the progress & here are the boys cleaning out the garage busy filling the dumpster & truck.  Yes, it is a task that needs to be done seeing as it was clean & the staff just shoved c r a p, instead of using the dumpster.  At least there will be space for the convertibles this winter.

Maybe tomorrow we can make a run to Rice Lake for cabinet hardware, new stove, vent hood & microwave.  That way the old stuff can just go away.  Oh & move the fridge from home to living quarters.  Gads I need a get it done robot or two.

So that is my long weekend in a crazy nut shell.  Whats on the agenda for your crazy nut shell this weekend?

Aren't you going to live at the farm any more? Who is taking care of the animals?

I'm cutting grass for the holiday. It is Labor Day, after all.

Hubby feeds/waters the ponies 2x day.  The barn cats have constant water/food. 

Until can find a trustworthy live in manager I am managing the motel. I am not holding my breath on getting the position filled.  Heck can't even get housekeepers & it is a problem everywhere with staffing.  On the plus side is we have been getting positive feed back from our guests who stay.

So in the meantime the plan is to clean out the farm house & figure out if we want to fix it or start over.  The house has structural issues & needs work.  Plus have to finish getting the out buildings emptied, it is almost done but just got to make the one last push.  We do have a quonset & hubby suggested we get a bid for a new roof as the barn may not survive a heavy snow.  That way we would have a perfect spot for storing hay. Oh the joys of living on a old farm that still has all the out buildings. 

It will all come together in time but dang I just want to get into the living quarters.  Gets really old living in one room with husband, son & two dogs the past 386 days. 

I feel sad for the farm. On the other hand, I hate a whole bunch of out buildings. Why didn't the old folks just add on to the one(s) they had?

Jubal, the small barn was originally on the far southeast about a mile.  They moved it to where it is now on our property.  Gads the outbuildings, it would be a tight fit just to get a standard SUV in the garage.  Equipment back in the day was so little compared to todays anything.

RRW, I wish you well with everything, I got tired just thinking about all the work you jave to do even all my joints ache now. But it will improve as soon as I move on to next topic.  Seriously I want to wish you well with this transition. Best Wishes.  PD

I have gone from living in the country to town.  We are living like alot of other folks who have "that property" for recreational enjoyment.  However, we don't have much time for recreation.

There have been a number of people suggest I take the siding off the outbuildings to sell.  Sounds great but who wants to take each piece off, remove nails, bundle, list for sale, then deal with buyers?  Call in the excavator & take them down.  I bet Jessie would let Shortman knock down the old chicken coop with the dozer or excavator.

No, RRW, you advertise that you have old buildings to sell. Then someone comes and takes it down for the wood and pays you. At least, that's the way it works here. Or, you could give them the wood for taking it down.

RRW,   You do whatever works best for you, to take down old buildings.  There might be bigger market is some areas than others for the old boards than others.  But then you arn't that far from the twin cities, where there might be a good market for barn boards. Depends how fast you want to get them down. PD