Sign in to follow this  
little cow

Appaloosa folks. Please share your experiences

We are looking for a family horse and found a very nice Appy gelding.  He has done jumping, dressage, drill team, trail riding, etc...  He rode out very nicely.  I took him by himself away from his home and he didn't show any barnsourness on the way back.  He was bright and kind.  He's also smart.  Tested me a bit here and there, so his brain works.  He's light on his cues and works best in a hackamore.  His PPE is Friday and I hope he passes.  The vet doing it is an eye nerd, which helps because of uveitis in some Appys.  He could have some QH in him, but has TB characteristics as well.  His head is big, too (maybe for that big brain).  The owner broke him to ride, so that made his history easy to know.

I've never had an Appy before, but this guy had tons of personality, which I like.  I think he's a red roan with a blanket.  

So, what can you tell me about this breed?

Is SpottedTapps still around?  I know she's not too far from me.  

Edited by little cow

My Heart-Horse was an Appy.  Cochise is the horse I judge all other horses by.  He was nothing to look at.   Just a blanket bay with some peacock spots and the upside down pitchfork on his face; straight shoulder, range-y body, short, upright pasterns, thin neck and a rather homely head - but the HEART this horse had!  He carried me safely for many miles of smiles, was always pleased to leave the barn/horses and see around the next bend, did everything I asked of him, he had *such* a personality and was a true partner.  We had 18yrs together and rode up to the day before I had to euth him when he was 29.  (cancer in the soft tissue of his face and bothering him)

This new horse you are trying out and reading about your ride with him, he seems like he could be a "Cochise-horse" to me.

Awww!  I know what heart horses are like.  Mine is in the avatar.  Buckskin mare.  

I hope he is a Cochise type horse.  My husband will be his primary rider.  He wants to call him Freckles, lol!   I know that is common, but his real name is even more common, so it will probably be changed. I still have my spirited Morgan.  Rode her today and you would never know she is 28.  But I would get to ride the spotty horse during the week to -ahem- keep him in shape. 

Edited by little cow

My experience with Apps has been all good. Kind, strong, smart and personality. I got my first when I was 12 and he was a 4 year old stallion. He was fantastic as a stallion and, of course, only got better once gelded. I've never looked back and they remain my favorite breed/type of horse. 

I'm currently up to my eyeballs in them and, other than some occurrences of cancer on pink skin, I have absolutely no complaints. Breeding counts though. It sounds like your boy is well bred and by well bred, I mean bred for more than spots and am not talking about famous ancestors or successful show relatives. lol