Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Master Minds...come hither...

Everyone knows what my family and I has gone through so far this year. I want to get my Mom a special gift at Christmas. But, I need ideas. She's not into jewelry - though the right piece I may get it. A sign would never get put to use as she doesn't hang mismatched decor things. I do plan on making her a shirt about being a hero/warrior...something along those lines. (I have a vinyl machine and heat press). I know she'd appreciate that. But I want a meaningful, thoughtful, something a little more gift.

Ideas?

57 minutes ago, Danyel said:

Would she like a spa day? Girl's day of pampering.

She unfortunately cannot go out right now. It's too cold and too many germ-y people that the doctors want her to stay secluded for the winter months. She will be starting radiation on the brain here shortly and will be losing her hair again - so she's not too comfortable, either.

A fun gift is giving a crystal to hang in a window.  Especially an east facing so on sunny mornings they will always have rainbows on their walls to start the day with a smile.

1 hour ago, noponies said:

So what is her most favorite thing ever?

The fire department and running EMS calls, which she hasn't been able to in nearly 6 months :(

What if you could find antique fire dept metals & make a shadow box.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Firefighting-Rescue-Pins-Buttons/33770/bn_3027973

Would that be something she'd have an interest?  Would make for a special collection especially if it were for maybe the are of the country she grew up.

Edited by RailroadWoman

How about a video tape (or whatever the modern equivalent is) of all her friends at EMS and Fire Dept. with their favorite "work stories" and memories? Tell them to keep it on the light and jokey side but meaningful too.

18 hours ago, noponies said:

So, does she have a scanner to keep up with the calls?

Oh yes, plenty. One in every room practically lol.

16 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

What if you could find antique fire dept metals & make a shadow box.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Firefighting-Rescue-Pins-Buttons/33770/bn_3027973

Would that be something she'd have an interest?  Would make for a special collection especially if it were for maybe the are of the country she grew up.

Shes been in the same fire department since she was 16. I am looking into a crystal like you mentioned. I want to see if I can find one that has "my mother, my friend, my hero"

4 hours ago, jubal said:

How about a video tape (or whatever the modern equivalent is) of all her friends at EMS and Fire Dept. with their favorite "work stories" and memories? Tell them to keep it on the light and jokey side but meaningful too.

I plan on getting a giant Christmas card for the surrounding departments to sign for her :)

With the crystal you should be able to order one from a jeweler.   I have always give window crystals to the hard to buy person.  They are small yet look really nice in a bright window.

Another idea is a gold dipped rose.  Our jewelry store has them, they are all unique & beautiful.  You could make a custom tag that states strength & beauty.

48 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

With the crystal you should be able to order one from a jeweler.   I have always give window crystals to the hard to buy person.  They are small yet look really nice in a bright window.

Another idea is a gold dipped rose.  Our jewelry store has them, they are all unique & beautiful.  You could make a custom tag that states strength & beauty.

Thank you. Our local jeweler closed...but this gives me ideas. 

How about a personalized throw blanket or quilt with your special message on it?  There are folks on ETSY who can do this for you.

Thanks all, I ended up ordering a personalized/engraved sun catcher. (Thanks CyberMonday!)

The front says "when it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars" Then on the back it says, "My Mom, My Best Friend, My Hero. I love you."

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Pink, what a fantastic gift.  She is going to love it.  Please post a PUC of it when you get it.  I'd love to see it.

I will, thank you.

Thanks everyone. I wanted something extra. Something "special" - I think this will be a nice little thing and I'm hoping it will cause her to smile.

On the plus side, things are going well right now with her health :)

She will be getting 10 rounds of low dose radiation on her brain as a precaution. Just waiting for a verification MRI to be scheduled.

Then hopefully up from there.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

How long until the radiation treatments are finished?

As long as her brain scan is clear, she will have 10 low dose rounds.

Thanks Heidi...its been 2 weeks and they still haven't scheduled the scan. This next batch of radiation will lower the risk of it coming back in her brain from 50 to 10%.

Gah!  That seems like a long time to wait, but my hope is she can spend that time reserving her body's forces for the last push of treatment.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, Heidi n Q said:

Gah!  That seems like a long time to wait, but my hope is she can spend that time reserving her body's forces for the last push of treatment.

MRI is scheduled for next Wednesday, then meets with doctors after that. Shes feeling great right now.