Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

Hay shortage ideas

Basically we had a draught this summer and farmers only got one cut of hay. 

Hay is now getting impossible to find other than ones which are high priced now. 

I moved yards just before winter and most farmers are not taking on new customers due to the shortage. 

Obviously, if it means spending a lot to feed them, then I will (bearing in mind for my two horses currently it will cost £8-9/$14-18 per DAY in small bale hay at the current price once I have to get more small bales). 

Mine are out in the field 10 hours minimum each day, however obviously it's more mud than grass, they have about an inch of grass covering over two acres. 

I've switched onto straw bedding instead of sawdust so they can munch through that too to increase forage intake. I've got some round hay bales to feed too which should last a little while. 

Is there anything else anyone can think of that is economical to supplement alongside hay so I can stretch out the hay I do have? I have small holed hay saving nets hung in different areas of their stable too. 

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

Hay pellets or cubes are used here to supplement baled hay. Some people use beet pulp which is available here in feed stores for extra roughage. But I don't know how economical either would be in the UK.

Thanks. 

We don't have much in the way of hay cubes over here unfortunately. They have things like ready grass and fast fibre and alfalfa pellets.... But none are nicely priced unfortunately. 

Is beet pulp the same as sugar beet? 

You CAN use beet pulp to stretch your hay, about a pound or so a day dry weight, but it will need a little soaking to soften. Beet pulp is the fiber left after the sugar is removed from the sugar beets. You can also feed some straw to help keep them full. Add it carefully as it will constipate some horses if they tend to not drink quite enough.

Edited by noponies

Thanks. 

Yeah we have sugar beet over here, sounds the same thing, it's about about £10 per 20kg bag. Do you literally just do it as a feed? They currently have a bucket of alfalfa chaff and small amount of pony nuts morning and evening too to line their stomach but I don't feed any proper hard feed as such as they're good doers luckily so I don't really do fancy feed with them. I could easily add beet to that though and bulk it out.

Yeah they eat their bedding which is why I switched back to straw - they both pick through that happily once their hay is eaten so at least have that to munch on till the morning. 

Which is why its suggested you feed in smaller amounts as a supplement rather than a large part of the diet.

Beet pulp, for instance is low in phosphorus compared to its calcium content. “The calcium/phosphorus ratio is about 10 to 1, which in small amounts isn’t a problem for a mature horse,” says Coverdale. “But in large amounts or in a growing horse or a lactating mare, that could cause issues with bone development.” To prevent such imbalances, she says, the general limit for feeding beet pulp is no more than 10 percent of a horse’s diet by weight, which works out to no more than two to three pounds a day for an average-size horse.”

Thanks. I've got some alfalfa beet for them.....that was more economical as larger bags of it and they're well used to alfalfa. 

I've managed to find regular round bales off my yard owners husband luckily and got given 20 extra small bales, so thankfully I think we'll be fine. It's really quite bad over here..... Some small hay bales are £5-6 now!!! Crazy. 

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

NN, I pay nearly that much per bale for 60 pound square bales. And folks in Florida pay a lot more! We have plenty of hay in Kentucky this year, because of lots of rain.

Over here it's currently double the normal price of small bale hay.... Small bales are normally £2.50-3.00 here after a normal summer, however we've had no rain this summer.