ShastaBaby

Sulcus Thrush

Talk to me about Sulcus Thrush....has anyone experienced this? What worked best for you?

My gelding has it in one foot and I've been treating with Kopertox. I'm curious if anyone has had more success with anything else.

I learned last year that horses can also get thrush when their feet are too dry. My horse was booted to keep his feet warm and he got the worst case of thrush I've ever seen. He lost his frog and sole in both front feet. They grew back but it was a long slog. The vet had me using sugardine on them, but I was not impressed. I switched to my old standby. Pour peroxide in them and hold the foot up until it stops bubbling. Then, sprinkle boric acid powder in it and push it down in the collateral grooves and the sulcus. You have to be careful with the boric acid powder around pets though, so they don't eat it.

9 hours ago, jubal said:

I learned last year that horses can also get thrush when their feet are too dry. My horse was booted to keep his feet warm and he got the worst case of thrush I've ever seen. He lost his frog and sole in both front feet. They grew back but it was a long slog. The vet had me using sugardine on them, but I was not impressed. I switched to my old standby. Pour peroxide in them and hold the foot up until it stops bubbling. Then, sprinkle boric acid powder in it and push it down in the collateral grooves and the sulcus. You have to be careful with the boric acid powder around pets though, so they don't eat it.

Lack of air circulation. Horse's feet aren't meant to stay covered. YOU try wearing rubber boots 24/7

Well, they aren't rubber and they have large openings parallel to the sole and just above it. But they (along with my fastidious stall cleaning,) kept his feet too dry.

Happy New Year, NP.

When the boots were on, yes. I've already said he got thrush because his feet were too dry. What's your point?