Sign in to follow this  
lov4horses

Dominance in Herd

We purchased a gelding this spring and he has become dominant in the pasture, only when he comes up around the buildings (lean to, stalls, water). If they are out in the big pasture he seems to mind his own business. This has become a problem because he will keep others for the water, and fights to the point he is leaving nicks, and bumps on other horses. I have gone out with a lounge whip and pushed him away, that will work until I'm not standing out there and it will be right back to chasing and fighting. It is not a option to separate him at this point but I don't know what my other options would be. Any suggestions?

Horses being what they are, that pretty much IS your option. I would also have a vet check to see of he has been completely gelded.

Put out another water source so everyone has access to water.  As for the buildings, you're stuck waiting for them to shake out their pecking order.

I brought in a dominant gelding this spring and put him in with my submissive mare and other dominant gelding.  The mare moves if anyone gives her an ugly face but the boys have been jockeying for position.  There have been skirmishes and some bite marks but the boys tend to keep a distance from each other now.  Original dominant gelding retains his position and 2nd dominant moves out of his way and/or waits until last to enter the shelter.
I have them separated at night so new horse can eat his feed as I'm still fattening him up.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:16 PM, jubal said:

Have we seen this new horse Heidi?

I'm sure I posted about getting Ever just before Easter...  Here is a pic of him about 3wks after I got him.  He was still a bit underweight in this pic.
I need to take updated pics of him.  He has put on a good amount of weight.  I am still trying to fatten up his topline a little more so he is "rounded" like my others, but he looks great.

aak 05092019.jpg

And I remember posting a response to this a few hours ago but it isn't here now! I remember the name Ever but I don't remember the photo. I guess my remembery is busy elsewhere.  Is he a Rocky or a Paso?

13 minutes ago, jubal said:

And I remember posting a response to this a few hours ago but it isn't here now! I remember the name Ever but I don't remember the photo. I guess my remembery is busy elsewhere.  Is he a Rocky or a Paso?

I think yours has gone out walking with mine.....