Sign in to follow this  
Longshotracer

dumb question for western riders...

Ok, I'm an english rider all the way. And I know next to nothing about western tack. I want to get a western saddle for my gelding to ride trials in and whenever I don't feel like being a prissy english rider (lol).

So what kind of saddle should I look for? And I have a 17 or 17 1/2 inch english saddle, so what size would that be in western..or is it the same?

Oh and what the heck are Quarter Horse bars and whats the difference between full and semi?

Ok, I'm an english rider all the way. And I know next to nothing about western tack. I want to get a western saddle for my gelding to ride trials in and whenever I don't feel like being a prissy english rider (lol).

So what kind of saddle should I look for? And I have a 17 or 17 1/2 inch english saddle, so what size would that be in western..or is it the same?

Oh and what the heck are Quarter Horse bars and whats the difference between full and semi?

Well I ride in a 15-16" western saddle, and a 17" english saddle, so I guess just about an inch or so lower than your english saddle.

Full QH bars are for wider-backed horses. Semi-QH are for normal or a more narrow-backed horse.

Hope that helps some. Good luck in your western saddle quest!

Well I ride in a 15-16" western saddle, and a 17" english saddle, so I guess just about an inch or so lower than your english saddle.

Full QH bars are for wider-backed horses. Semi-QH are for normal or a more narrow-backed horse.

Hope that helps some. Good luck in your western saddle quest!

Are you looking for a saddle to trail ride in? I like trail riding in a barrel racing saddle, but you can trail ride in any kind of western saddle. You would want to get a 15 or 15 1/2 inch western saddle. I've been told there is a two inch difference when going from western to english or english to western. Quarter horses bars are the bars of the saddle semi quarter horse bars are narrower than full quarter horse bars. If you have a stockier horse you should prolabaly use quarter horse bars and if you have a narrower horse you should use semi quarter horse bars. I hope that helped a little.

Are you looking for a saddle to trail ride in? I like trail riding in a barrel racing saddle, but you can trail ride in any kind of western saddle. You would want to get a 15 or 15 1/2 inch western saddle. I've been told there is a two inch difference when going from western to english or english to western. Quarter horses bars are the bars of the saddle semi quarter horse bars are narrower than full quarter horse bars. If you have a stockier horse you should prolabaly use quarter horse bars and if you have a narrower horse you should use semi quarter horse bars. I hope that helped a little.

im not sure about the difference between seat sizes between western and english saddles, buuuuut i know that i ride in a 14-15inch western roping saddle. and brand-wise, i have a three-bar saddle, but circle y saddles are really good too. and, as a few have already explained, full QH bars are for broader-backed horses and the semi QH bars are for narrower-backed horses.

hope ya find wut ur lookin for.

im not sure about the difference between seat sizes between western and english saddles, buuuuut i know that i ride in a 14-15inch western roping saddle. and brand-wise, i have a three-bar saddle, but circle y saddles are really good too. and, as a few have already explained, full QH bars are for broader-backed horses and the semi QH bars are for narrower-backed horses.

hope ya find wut ur lookin for.

Thanks guys! I'm just looking for something to trail in and to play in. And for my friends to ride in since I would never put someone who's never been on a horse in my english saddle.

And unless I can find a circle Y for cheap cheap cheap...like dirt cheap, then I'll just go with what I find. I want something used because I hate softening leather.

Thanks guys! I'm just looking for something to trail in and to play in. And for my friends to ride in since I would never put someone who's never been on a horse in my english saddle.

And unless I can find a circle Y for cheap cheap cheap...like dirt cheap, then I'll just go with what I find. I want something used because I hate softening leather.

You can find an older western saddle for cheap and they are super comfy for trail riding.

I ride in a 16 inch english saddle or a 14 inch barrel saddle or a 15 inch pleasure saddle. hmph, complicated. The bars are just bars, and the sizes are quarter horse bars (narrow) semi QH bars (normal and fit most any horse) and full QH bars (wide).

You can find an older western saddle for cheap and they are super comfy for trail riding.

I ride in a 16 inch english saddle or a 14 inch barrel saddle or a 15 inch pleasure saddle. hmph, complicated. The bars are just bars, and the sizes are quarter horse bars (narrow) semi QH bars (normal and fit most any horse) and full QH bars (wide).

'Generally', your western saddle should be 2 sizes smaller than your english. I say 'generally' because technically I should be a 14 western, which I fit in, but according to western 'standards', I don't fit in it (you know, 3/4 fingers between your pelvis and cantle).

If you're only going to be trail riding, get an older trail saddle. The old ones are the best. [big Grin]

'Generally', your western saddle should be 2 sizes smaller than your english. I say 'generally' because technically I should be a 14 western, which I fit in, but according to western 'standards', I don't fit in it (you know, 3/4 fingers between your pelvis and cantle).

If you're only going to be trail riding, get an older trail saddle. The old ones are the best. [big Grin]