Sign in to follow this  
lippyswm

Affraid of my horses

Hi Lippy,

how long is your horse going to stay in training? I would suggest that even after he comes home from the trainers, if you have the means, it would be good to remain "in training" yourself by hauling out to lessons at least once a week or so, or finding an instructor who is willing to come to your place and help you. If you have a qualified instructor helping you, you can learn to have a little better timing and feel, which can help prevent accidents. It will help your confidence because you will feel more able to handle such situations, or know when to make a smart call, like thinking that a new horse may distract your horse and require a different approach. Even though you rode your whole life, it is simply different when you come back to it as an adult. A whole new set of challenges. You can stack the deck in your favor by finding a qualified instructor to help you gain confidence. I wish you the best of luck. [smile]

Hi Lippy,

how long is your horse going to stay in training? I would suggest that even after he comes home from the trainers, if you have the means, it would be good to remain "in training" yourself by hauling out to lessons at least once a week or so, or finding an instructor who is willing to come to your place and help you. If you have a qualified instructor helping you, you can learn to have a little better timing and feel, which can help prevent accidents. It will help your confidence because you will feel more able to handle such situations, or know when to make a smart call, like thinking that a new horse may distract your horse and require a different approach. Even though you rode your whole life, it is simply different when you come back to it as an adult. A whole new set of challenges. You can stack the deck in your favor by finding a qualified instructor to help you gain confidence. I wish you the best of luck. [smile]

Oh my God!! I have the same problem. My horse had just come back from "training" and i was taking this trainers advice to just take her home and ride her( after only just 2 weeks) i might add. I also found myself on an exploding horse,and to this day,do not know what happened.I was injured,and after that,i could barely go near this horse,much less get on her. She went once again for some more extensive training,and he had no problems with her. i went and trained and rode with him for about 3 months,but still have feelings of fear. I ride my friends horse,and even feel scared on this older,dead broke Quarter Horse. I also am in my forties,and used to be a very good rider,but have not even owned a horse for more than 20 years. My horse is a 17.2hh Friesian sport horse,only 3 years old,and i am starting to come to the realization that i am severly over mounted. I can do ground work with her all day long,and feel totally comfortable,but just the thought of getting on makes my legs shake.I have been trying to overcome this feeling,but am not sure i can. I find myself waiting for the "explosion" now on whatever horse i happen to be on. For me, i need to get over this soon,or get a different horse.

Oh my God!! I have the same problem. My horse had just come back from "training" and i was taking this trainers advice to just take her home and ride her( after only just 2 weeks) i might add. I also found myself on an exploding horse,and to this day,do not know what happened.I was injured,and after that,i could barely go near this horse,much less get on her. She went once again for some more extensive training,and he had no problems with her. i went and trained and rode with him for about 3 months,but still have feelings of fear. I ride my friends horse,and even feel scared on this older,dead broke Quarter Horse. I also am in my forties,and used to be a very good rider,but have not even owned a horse for more than 20 years. My horse is a 17.2hh Friesian sport horse,only 3 years old,and i am starting to come to the realization that i am severly over mounted. I can do ground work with her all day long,and feel totally comfortable,but just the thought of getting on makes my legs shake.I have been trying to overcome this feeling,but am not sure i can. I find myself waiting for the "explosion" now on whatever horse i happen to be on. For me, i need to get over this soon,or get a different horse.

No problem! We all start somewhere!

You can delete those duplicate posts by going to each one, clicking the "edit/delete" button (the icon that looks like paper and a pencil). Then another screen will come up, you check the box next to delete, and then click the button that says "update post". And it will be gone. [Wink]

No problem! We all start somewhere!

You can delete those duplicate posts by going to each one, clicking the "edit/delete" button (the icon that looks like paper and a pencil). Then another screen will come up, you check the box next to delete, and then click the button that says "update post". And it will be gone. [Wink]

Confidence is key when riding a horse.

So in my opinion, if you can't ride your new OTTB with confidence, you need to find a different horse. Perhaps since, as you mentioned, you don't heal as fast as you did when you were a kid, a green horse is not the way to go. Accidents happen in all different situations, but if you want to ride and feel as safe as you can, maybe you should consider finding a horse who has been around the block a time or two (or 180000000).

Just a suggestion that no one ever really likes to hear :/

Confidence is key when riding a horse.

So in my opinion, if you can't ride your new OTTB with confidence, you need to find a different horse. Perhaps since, as you mentioned, you don't heal as fast as you did when you were a kid, a green horse is not the way to go. Accidents happen in all different situations, but if you want to ride and feel as safe as you can, maybe you should consider finding a horse who has been around the block a time or two (or 180000000).

Just a suggestion that no one ever really likes to hear :/

equicrzy, I am glad I have someone who feels the same. I guess Im having such an issue with it because of all the YEARs of riding. I learned to ride on a pone from h e double hockey sticks and he would literlaly try to kill you every chance he got. I have been wrapped around fire hydrents, bashed in the head by low branches, scraped on barbed wire fences, etc and I still got on him. I was 13 when I got my first horse of my own and he was 3/4 arab and was used as a pack horse!. He was a HOT HOT Arab that LOVED to run. He dumped me a few times and took off on me a few times. He even got away with me and rand full speed out onto the road where he slipped and fell on me. I was HURT BAD, BAD and I got on him again and again and again. for 10 more years and all that time I was NEVER EVER afraid of him. I owned him for 17 years and not many others could ride him. I got married had a child and decided not to have horses for a while. He was 24 and I gave him to a 4H friend of mine to lend to kids who didnt have horses (at 24 he had mellowed out a bit) I stayed in contact with horseback riding by way of trailrides but that was it. I didnt think twice of buying this horse because he had such a good nature about him. I cant even imagain why I am talking to any of you about being scared because it was only ONE time he got me off. He will be in training for about 2 months but my trainer said he is a good ol boy that reminds him of an ole farm hand horse. Im taking that as "he will be ok" and I need to GET OVER THIS quickly. Thanks again everyone for listening and giving all your advise. I almost thought about selling both and getting another BUT who is to say I wont have the same issue at some point with a BOMB proof horse. I will keep you all posted [Wink]

equicrzy, I am glad I have someone who feels the same. I guess Im having such an issue with it because of all the YEARs of riding. I learned to ride on a pone from h e double hockey sticks and he would literlaly try to kill you every chance he got. I have been wrapped around fire hydrents, bashed in the head by low branches, scraped on barbed wire fences, etc and I still got on him. I was 13 when I got my first horse of my own and he was 3/4 arab and was used as a pack horse!. He was a HOT HOT Arab that LOVED to run. He dumped me a few times and took off on me a few times. He even got away with me and rand full speed out onto the road where he slipped and fell on me. I was HURT BAD, BAD and I got on him again and again and again. for 10 more years and all that time I was NEVER EVER afraid of him. I owned him for 17 years and not many others could ride him. I got married had a child and decided not to have horses for a while. He was 24 and I gave him to a 4H friend of mine to lend to kids who didnt have horses (at 24 he had mellowed out a bit) I stayed in contact with horseback riding by way of trailrides but that was it. I didnt think twice of buying this horse because he had such a good nature about him. I cant even imagain why I am talking to any of you about being scared because it was only ONE time he got me off. He will be in training for about 2 months but my trainer said he is a good ol boy that reminds him of an ole farm hand horse. Im taking that as "he will be ok" and I need to GET OVER THIS quickly. Thanks again everyone for listening and giving all your advise. I almost thought about selling both and getting another BUT who is to say I wont have the same issue at some point with a BOMB proof horse. I will keep you all posted [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by lippyswm:

equicrzy, I am glad I have someone who feels the same. I guess Im having such an issue with it because of all the YEARs of riding. I learned to ride on a pone from h e double hockey sticks and he would literlaly try to kill you every chance he got. I have been wrapped around fire hydrents, bashed in the head by low branches, scraped on barbed wire fences, etc and I still got on him. I was 13 when I got my first horse of my own and he was 3/4 arab and was used as a pack horse!. He was a HOT HOT Arab that LOVED to run. He dumped me a few times and took off on me a few times. He even got away with me and rand full speed out onto the road where he slipped and fell on me. I was HURT BAD, BAD and I got on him again and again and again. for 10 more years and all that time I was NEVER EVER afraid of him. I owned him for 17 years and not many others could ride him. I got married had a child and decided not to have horses for a while. He was 24 and I gave him to a 4H friend of mine to lend to kids who didnt have horses (at 24 he had mellowed out a bit) I stayed in contact with horseback riding by way of trailrides but that was it. I didnt think twice of buying this horse because he had such a good nature about him. I cant even imagain why I am talking to any of you about being scared because it was only ONE time he got me off. He will be in training for about 2 months but my trainer said he is a good ol boy that reminds him of an ole farm hand horse. Im taking that as "he will be ok" and I need to GET OVER THIS quickly. Thanks again everyone for listening and giving all your advise. I almost thought about selling both and getting another BUT who is to say I wont have the same issue at some point with a BOMB proof horse. I will keep you all posted
[Wink]

Isn't it funny,how when you are young and make an un-scheduled dismount,you don't think twice about getting back on?

quote:

Originally posted by lippyswm:

equicrzy, I am glad I have someone who feels the same. I guess Im having such an issue with it because of all the YEARs of riding. I learned to ride on a pone from h e double hockey sticks and he would literlaly try to kill you every chance he got. I have been wrapped around fire hydrents, bashed in the head by low branches, scraped on barbed wire fences, etc and I still got on him. I was 13 when I got my first horse of my own and he was 3/4 arab and was used as a pack horse!. He was a HOT HOT Arab that LOVED to run. He dumped me a few times and took off on me a few times. He even got away with me and rand full speed out onto the road where he slipped and fell on me. I was HURT BAD, BAD and I got on him again and again and again. for 10 more years and all that time I was NEVER EVER afraid of him. I owned him for 17 years and not many others could ride him. I got married had a child and decided not to have horses for a while. He was 24 and I gave him to a 4H friend of mine to lend to kids who didnt have horses (at 24 he had mellowed out a bit) I stayed in contact with horseback riding by way of trailrides but that was it. I didnt think twice of buying this horse because he had such a good nature about him. I cant even imagain why I am talking to any of you about being scared because it was only ONE time he got me off. He will be in training for about 2 months but my trainer said he is a good ol boy that reminds him of an ole farm hand horse. Im taking that as "he will be ok" and I need to GET OVER THIS quickly. Thanks again everyone for listening and giving all your advise. I almost thought about selling both and getting another BUT who is to say I wont have the same issue at some point with a BOMB proof horse. I will keep you all posted
[Wink]

Isn't it funny,how when you are young and make an un-scheduled dismount,you don't think twice about getting back on?

I had a 16.1 hand black mare many years ago that really wanted to run for home. While working her in circles the chicago screw holding the bit to the bridle fell out. No surprise what happened next. She flew out of that field, jumped the ditch and tried to make a 90 degree turn in the middle of the road. Thank God no cars were coming. Needless to say, she didn't make it and we both went down. She on top of my knee. She got up and was fine. I had a broken kneecap (and she wouldn't let me mount to get back to the barn). That horse held a grudge against me for three weeks,like it was MY fault! She really was the smartest horse I've ever seen. But I was only 20 years old, and it never fazed me one bit. I've been fallen on, fallen with, fallen over on, dumped to many times to remember by the pony down the road, rarely bucked off-but its happened. Never, ever had a fear of getting back on. Now I'm older and it hurts to get a foot in the stirrup sometimes. Don't bounce nearly as well and the ground seems alot harder! And now I have to think about everything I'm responsible for, and what happens if I get hurt? I really hate that its like that. But I guess common sense should prevail and we should try to be as safe as possible. And its supposed to be fun not frightening.

So WHY am I training yet another 3 year old?

I had a 16.1 hand black mare many years ago that really wanted to run for home. While working her in circles the chicago screw holding the bit to the bridle fell out. No surprise what happened next. She flew out of that field, jumped the ditch and tried to make a 90 degree turn in the middle of the road. Thank God no cars were coming. Needless to say, she didn't make it and we both went down. She on top of my knee. She got up and was fine. I had a broken kneecap (and she wouldn't let me mount to get back to the barn). That horse held a grudge against me for three weeks,like it was MY fault! She really was the smartest horse I've ever seen. But I was only 20 years old, and it never fazed me one bit. I've been fallen on, fallen with, fallen over on, dumped to many times to remember by the pony down the road, rarely bucked off-but its happened. Never, ever had a fear of getting back on. Now I'm older and it hurts to get a foot in the stirrup sometimes. Don't bounce nearly as well and the ground seems alot harder! And now I have to think about everything I'm responsible for, and what happens if I get hurt? I really hate that its like that. But I guess common sense should prevail and we should try to be as safe as possible. And its supposed to be fun not frightening.

So WHY am I training yet another 3 year old?

Hi, I am new here but not new to the tpoic being discussed.

I to have an OTTB. We've had some pretty scarry times he and I. To the point that last summer I decided that we were no longer safe to be out on public trails until we had things settled. I was scarred of him. He would back and spin, bolt and take of with me at break neck speed....all that sort of thing. java script:void(0)

java script:void(0)

I kept him at home in as confined of an area as I could. Started back at the basics, tiny baby steps working from the ground. I learned quickly, do not push your TB too far too fast.

We worked on obedience at first. W/T/C on the lunge line etc. Then we spent the winter at an indoor facility. I worked with a trainer 3 days and 2 practice rides each week....for about 7 months.

The ground work helped build my confidences. My horse appreciated the consistency of a work program. This in turn built my confidence even more. The mistakes I was making, the habits that I had picked up along the way. Lightbulb moments galore!

I set small goals from the beginning. As we progressed and we were sucessful, I set new ones. At the end of 7 months, we moved back home.

I no longer feel those butterflies when I am tacking up. He still has the odd little hissy fit here and there. However, he is an OTTB and sometimes things set them off. I don't panic anymore, I don't get upset, I just ride it out. Move on to something different and then go back to what we were doing and see how he takes it.

What is key however, is that I am ok with whatever he does. And honestly he does not really do anything scarry anymore. He respects me now and trusts me. I did not have that before.

I am thankful that I did not listen to everybody telling me to sell him and move on. I knew him well enough to know he is not a malicious horse. He knows more than I do.....I just had to get over my fears and start over fresh.

It has been a fantastic journey. Best of luck with you and your journey with your horse!

Hi, I am new here but not new to the tpoic being discussed.

I to have an OTTB. We've had some pretty scarry times he and I. To the point that last summer I decided that we were no longer safe to be out on public trails until we had things settled. I was scarred of him. He would back and spin, bolt and take of with me at break neck speed....all that sort of thing. java script:void(0)

java script:void(0)

I kept him at home in as confined of an area as I could. Started back at the basics, tiny baby steps working from the ground. I learned quickly, do not push your TB too far too fast.

We worked on obedience at first. W/T/C on the lunge line etc. Then we spent the winter at an indoor facility. I worked with a trainer 3 days and 2 practice rides each week....for about 7 months.

The ground work helped build my confidences. My horse appreciated the consistency of a work program. This in turn built my confidence even more. The mistakes I was making, the habits that I had picked up along the way. Lightbulb moments galore!

I set small goals from the beginning. As we progressed and we were sucessful, I set new ones. At the end of 7 months, we moved back home.

I no longer feel those butterflies when I am tacking up. He still has the odd little hissy fit here and there. However, he is an OTTB and sometimes things set them off. I don't panic anymore, I don't get upset, I just ride it out. Move on to something different and then go back to what we were doing and see how he takes it.

What is key however, is that I am ok with whatever he does. And honestly he does not really do anything scarry anymore. He respects me now and trusts me. I did not have that before.

I am thankful that I did not listen to everybody telling me to sell him and move on. I knew him well enough to know he is not a malicious horse. He knows more than I do.....I just had to get over my fears and start over fresh.

It has been a fantastic journey. Best of luck with you and your journey with your horse!

majik, it is AMAZING to hear that you were dumped the EXACT same way I was years ago. My horse I had back then chompped down on the bit (he was NOT use to wearing) and took off at a dead run. I was bareback and tried hard to turn him because at the end of the field was a barbed wire fence. I finally tuned him which was out in the middle of the road. Just as you did we went down. He not injured, me injured pretty good. skin on the side of my face was hamburger and a huge gash in my left eyebrow and a sprained ankel. I was in such shock and dizzy from the concusion that when a car came by I got in with him for a ride home (i was still lying in the middle of the road) my horse was on the side grazing. I left him there and didnt even know it. Long storey short I rode him hom the next day (a friend went to catch him and put him in her field) and after I healed rode him again with no other occurances. Bend & flex I dont want to sell my horse either and am hoping when I get mine home from training he will be good. I will take baby steps however and NOT rush him as you said. also, call me silly BUT what is "OTTB"?

majik, it is AMAZING to hear that you were dumped the EXACT same way I was years ago. My horse I had back then chompped down on the bit (he was NOT use to wearing) and took off at a dead run. I was bareback and tried hard to turn him because at the end of the field was a barbed wire fence. I finally tuned him which was out in the middle of the road. Just as you did we went down. He not injured, me injured pretty good. skin on the side of my face was hamburger and a huge gash in my left eyebrow and a sprained ankel. I was in such shock and dizzy from the concusion that when a car came by I got in with him for a ride home (i was still lying in the middle of the road) my horse was on the side grazing. I left him there and didnt even know it. Long storey short I rode him hom the next day (a friend went to catch him and put him in her field) and after I healed rode him again with no other occurances. Bend & flex I dont want to sell my horse either and am hoping when I get mine home from training he will be good. I will take baby steps however and NOT rush him as you said. also, call me silly BUT what is "OTTB"?

majik its also amazing you and I both had a bad experience with a bad pony and we both are trying to figure out why we are training a 3 year old. My TB is in training and I have a 3 year old paint here im doing ground work with and will be going to training as soon as Jaz comes home. Paralell lives huh [smile]

majik its also amazing you and I both had a bad experience with a bad pony and we both are trying to figure out why we are training a 3 year old. My TB is in training and I have a 3 year old paint here im doing ground work with and will be going to training as soon as Jaz comes home. Paralell lives huh [smile]

Oh sorry!

OTTB is an Off Track TB.

Guess we Canadians talk funny eh?!

I always get quite interested in hearing stories that other TB owners experience. Many people with lots of knowledge that I certainly respect have offered me advise in the past with my guy.

I've always listened but have found that going with my instincts always works best. Baby steps works best for me and my guy. And I'll never sell my OTTB...he's got too much heart.

Oh sorry!

OTTB is an Off Track TB.

Guess we Canadians talk funny eh?!

I always get quite interested in hearing stories that other TB owners experience. Many people with lots of knowledge that I certainly respect have offered me advise in the past with my guy.

I've always listened but have found that going with my instincts always works best. Baby steps works best for me and my guy. And I'll never sell my OTTB...he's got too much heart.

If you mentioned it, I must have missed it.

Do you get to be present when your horse is being worked?

I found that it is imparative to be present. I know some trainers do not want you present, but I prefer to be there every step of the way.

I think it is best to watch your trainer for most of the session. Then at the end perhaps,if circumstances allow it, hop on and yourself. They can give you so much by just spending that last 10-15 minutes at the end of the session. Questions and answers, any bad habits we have picked up along the way (I have them for sure).....I just found that it works nicely for me.

Best of luck to you......oh and don't forget your journal. After every session I keep a journal, it is such fun to refer back. If you don't you will never remember everything.

If you mentioned it, I must have missed it.

Do you get to be present when your horse is being worked?

I found that it is imparative to be present. I know some trainers do not want you present, but I prefer to be there every step of the way.

I think it is best to watch your trainer for most of the session. Then at the end perhaps,if circumstances allow it, hop on and yourself. They can give you so much by just spending that last 10-15 minutes at the end of the session. Questions and answers, any bad habits we have picked up along the way (I have them for sure).....I just found that it works nicely for me.

Best of luck to you......oh and don't forget your journal. After every session I keep a journal, it is such fun to refer back. If you don't you will never remember everything.

lippysm -- Funny how falls that would put us in the hospital these days, we just took in stride and shrugged off!

I wouldn't jump to make a decision to replace your thoroughbred quite yet. I'd just regress a few steps and work with him in an area that doesn't give him the opportunity to blow. Needs lots of slow miles I think. But if after a reasonable time you still don't trust him and are uncomfortable, I wouldn't hesitate to move him on and find something you click with. What is the three year old you're working with? Out of my four mares, one's a forever lame rescue, ones a friends horse who's 8 years old and never broke (I'm working with her too) ones my appy/arab mare whose such a PIA I just don't have the energy to fight with most of the time, and the other is my three year old filly (My great hope to have a decent saddle horse!) All I really want at this point is a good broke, nice gaited trail horse with get up and go that I can hop on whenever I can rub a couple free hours together. Can't afford to add a fifth horse, so my filly is my hope. Too bad Allie is lame, because she is all that and more.

lippysm -- Funny how falls that would put us in the hospital these days, we just took in stride and shrugged off!

I wouldn't jump to make a decision to replace your thoroughbred quite yet. I'd just regress a few steps and work with him in an area that doesn't give him the opportunity to blow. Needs lots of slow miles I think. But if after a reasonable time you still don't trust him and are uncomfortable, I wouldn't hesitate to move him on and find something you click with. What is the three year old you're working with? Out of my four mares, one's a forever lame rescue, ones a friends horse who's 8 years old and never broke (I'm working with her too) ones my appy/arab mare whose such a PIA I just don't have the energy to fight with most of the time, and the other is my three year old filly (My great hope to have a decent saddle horse!) All I really want at this point is a good broke, nice gaited trail horse with get up and go that I can hop on whenever I can rub a couple free hours together. Can't afford to add a fifth horse, so my filly is my hope. Too bad Allie is lame, because she is all that and more.

Bend N Flex, Im sorry I didnt answer that part of your question. Yes I get 2 be present for the training. I actually sign up to ride him 2 times a week and its is usually the last 15 mins of the session. My horse is so calm and collected with this guy, Im hoping the accident was a ONE TIME thing.

majik, the answer to your question is he is a Paint. good boy, bad boy type. He is a bit nippy and im working on that. He is a sneaky nipper. I am not planning on getting rid of the TB at this point. Im going to put some more effort into him before I think about other options.

Bend N Flex, Im sorry I didnt answer that part of your question. Yes I get 2 be present for the training. I actually sign up to ride him 2 times a week and its is usually the last 15 mins of the session. My horse is so calm and collected with this guy, Im hoping the accident was a ONE TIME thing.

majik, the answer to your question is he is a Paint. good boy, bad boy type. He is a bit nippy and im working on that. He is a sneaky nipper. I am not planning on getting rid of the TB at this point. Im going to put some more effort into him before I think about other options.

ok - finally I get my act together - and remember the name - Mary Wanless (no Susan)

here are some links you might care to look at - it looks like voodoo, but some people swear by it

NLP: http://www.jo-cooper.com/nlp.html

TFT: http://www.atft.org/

EFT: http://www.emofree.com/default.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4631930.stm

ok - finally I get my act together - and remember the name - Mary Wanless (no Susan)

here are some links you might care to look at - it looks like voodoo, but some people swear by it

NLP: http://www.jo-cooper.com/nlp.html

TFT: http://www.atft.org/

EFT: http://www.emofree.com/default.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4631930.stm