Sign in to follow this  
twiddledee_benji

how to train my horse to lope

thanks so much u guys...i have been working her on the ground for the past couple of days now and it seems to be payin off...she is relly getting better at knowing the cues and im starting to not let her get away with very much...but how much longer should i be doin the ground work...will she get bored after too much of it and just stop and not want to do it anymore??...when i ride her she seems very hoppy at the trot and seems scared..is that because she isnt balanced well enuf?..or is she just being very jumpy at the trot because she wants to throw me off?

thanks so much u guys...i have been working her on the ground for the past couple of days now and it seems to be payin off...she is relly getting better at knowing the cues and im starting to not let her get away with very much...but how much longer should i be doin the ground work...will she get bored after too much of it and just stop and not want to do it anymore??...when i ride her she seems very hoppy at the trot and seems scared..is that because she isnt balanced well enuf?..or is she just being very jumpy at the trot because she wants to throw me off?

quote:

Originally posted by twiddledee_benji:

im starting to not let her get away with very much

She shouldn't be getting away with ANYTHING, at ANY TIME. If she is not responding to your cues quickly, willingly, and without resistance at least 98% of the time, she needs more work. She could possibly get bored doing ground work, but you can make it interesting for her by doing things like longing over ground poles (great for balance issues), and working for brief amounts of time, but during that short time, mixing in many exercises in quick sucession.

When you say 'jumpy' at the trot, how do you mean? Reluctant, or spooky? What has been your routine with this mare, and how has it changed. Ex: do you longe her before you ride her now?

My first thought was to tell you to push her through until she's at a nice, brisk trot, working hard so that she can't concentrate on anything else. When a horse is in a nice, working trot, it's hard for them to be jumpy, but sometimes in order to establish their concentration you've got to mix things up to grab their attention the first few times so that afterwards they KNOW what a trot is. Do large circles, serpentines, reverse at the trot - make her think about it.

But then, it's hard to see what someone means over the internet. 'Jumpy.' My first thought related to that was 'spooky', but you could also mean a reluctance to work such as arcing her back and giving little jumps, or just a general oversensitivity. Could you expand on that?

quote:

Originally posted by twiddledee_benji:

im starting to not let her get away with very much

She shouldn't be getting away with ANYTHING, at ANY TIME. If she is not responding to your cues quickly, willingly, and without resistance at least 98% of the time, she needs more work. She could possibly get bored doing ground work, but you can make it interesting for her by doing things like longing over ground poles (great for balance issues), and working for brief amounts of time, but during that short time, mixing in many exercises in quick sucession.

When you say 'jumpy' at the trot, how do you mean? Reluctant, or spooky? What has been your routine with this mare, and how has it changed. Ex: do you longe her before you ride her now?

My first thought was to tell you to push her through until she's at a nice, brisk trot, working hard so that she can't concentrate on anything else. When a horse is in a nice, working trot, it's hard for them to be jumpy, but sometimes in order to establish their concentration you've got to mix things up to grab their attention the first few times so that afterwards they KNOW what a trot is. Do large circles, serpentines, reverse at the trot - make her think about it.

But then, it's hard to see what someone means over the internet. 'Jumpy.' My first thought related to that was 'spooky', but you could also mean a reluctance to work such as arcing her back and giving little jumps, or just a general oversensitivity. Could you expand on that?

by jumpy i mean that it feels like she is goin to buck...everytime i try to push her into a fast trot it feels like she is payin too much attention to other things insted uf wut she shuld be doin...i used to lunge her b4 i wuld ride her but for the past couple of munths i havnt....do u think that wuld matter in how she acts while gettin her to lope?when i push her into a trot she always has her ears back (but not rite back...just bak enuf to listen to me...i think)..shuld she be doin that??if it isnt how shuld i correct her??

[ 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: twiddledee_benji ]

by jumpy i mean that it feels like she is goin to buck...everytime i try to push her into a fast trot it feels like she is payin too much attention to other things insted uf wut she shuld be doin...i used to lunge her b4 i wuld ride her but for the past couple of munths i havnt....do u think that wuld matter in how she acts while gettin her to lope?when i push her into a trot she always has her ears back (but not rite back...just bak enuf to listen to me...i think)..shuld she be doin that??if it isnt how shuld i correct her??

[ 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: twiddledee_benji ]

quote:

Originally posted by horsey_girl225:

WHOA!!! ive been having this EXACT problem with my baby horse... except sometime's she rears too.

Add me to the list, too!! My mustang is a 4 year old mare. I have been training since March. Heck, I can't even get a trot without some attitude! Geez! Horses [bang Head]

quote:

Originally posted by horsey_girl225:

WHOA!!! ive been having this EXACT problem with my baby horse... except sometime's she rears too.

Add me to the list, too!! My mustang is a 4 year old mare. I have been training since March. Heck, I can't even get a trot without some attitude! Geez! Horses [bang Head]

This is how I train mine. I start out in a round pen, free lunging them off voice commands. I don't even like riding them until they do this. I teach them to lope when I kiss to them, and lope right then! They catch on very quickly and normally the kiss transfers over to under saddle work fairly easily. The first 2-3 times I lope a horse, I do it in the round pen and only ask for a few strides. Its hard to lope with a rider at first! So maybe day one, I get 3 strides. I'll let the horse stop into a wall and get off and put them up. Day two I'll try and keep them moving longer, but again, do it at the end of their ride and put them up. It seems to stick with them that way and they get put up when they do it so it is a good reward. Don't do this more than 2 or 3 times so they don't get to thinking that they can just run when they want to be done, but this method works well with a young horse from time to time when done carefully and just a couple times. If she wants to buck, pull her head up firmly, growl, stop, maybe back up a few steps and try again. Don't stop asking until she gets it right. You push a button and she learns that a buck is NOT the way to respond to that button, but when she lopes, it is the right thing. A lot of young horses buck at first. Don't let it scare you from teaching her to canter.

This is how I train mine. I start out in a round pen, free lunging them off voice commands. I don't even like riding them until they do this. I teach them to lope when I kiss to them, and lope right then! They catch on very quickly and normally the kiss transfers over to under saddle work fairly easily. The first 2-3 times I lope a horse, I do it in the round pen and only ask for a few strides. Its hard to lope with a rider at first! So maybe day one, I get 3 strides. I'll let the horse stop into a wall and get off and put them up. Day two I'll try and keep them moving longer, but again, do it at the end of their ride and put them up. It seems to stick with them that way and they get put up when they do it so it is a good reward. Don't do this more than 2 or 3 times so they don't get to thinking that they can just run when they want to be done, but this method works well with a young horse from time to time when done carefully and just a couple times. If she wants to buck, pull her head up firmly, growl, stop, maybe back up a few steps and try again. Don't stop asking until she gets it right. You push a button and she learns that a buck is NOT the way to respond to that button, but when she lopes, it is the right thing. A lot of young horses buck at first. Don't let it scare you from teaching her to canter.