Sign in to follow this  
forever tru

showmanship question

quote:

Originally posted by forever tru:

when do you look back? do you look back when you first approach the judge at a walk, or do you do it only as you trot or walk away??

You look back at the judge as you are walking/trotting away. You also glance back at the judge and smile while executing your pivot.

quote:

Originally posted by forever tru:

when do you look back? do you look back when you first approach the judge at a walk, or do you do it only as you trot or walk away??

You look back at the judge as you are walking/trotting away. You also glance back at the judge and smile while executing your pivot.

It really depends on the type of show and the preference of the judge.

Most 4H judges want you to glance at them when trotting or walking away.

A world renouned AQHA trainer/judge that is a friend of mine tells her kids not to look back at the judge when trotting away because it throws your step off and there it too great of a risk of you tripping.

It really depends on the type of show and the preference of the judge.

Most 4H judges want you to glance at them when trotting or walking away.

A world renouned AQHA trainer/judge that is a friend of mine tells her kids not to look back at the judge when trotting away because it throws your step off and there it too great of a risk of you tripping.

Learn to count "1-2" to yourself between each maneuver, and glance at the judge on "2." When you make eye contact, be sure your chin is up or you will appear less than confident and it will look to the judge like you made a mistake and are wondering if the judge caught it.

When trotting or walking away from the judge, you have probably just completed either a pivot or other maneuver. When you finish that maneuver, take a moment to square your horse up. Count "1-2" and give a small nod to the judge on "2." When asked to walk or trot off, get your horse and yourself into position, again count "1-2" and again give a small nod to the judge on "2" keeping your chin up. Turn away, pick a point directly in front of you to move toward and move your horse off, without looking back. Position your horse in the lineup, square up, and look at the judge.

The counting may sound awkward, but it puts a nice crisp finish on your pattern. Judges don't like to see an exhibitor slop from one maneuver to another, and the counting acts as a reminder to keep it crisp and cadenced.

Learn to count "1-2" to yourself between each maneuver, and glance at the judge on "2." When you make eye contact, be sure your chin is up or you will appear less than confident and it will look to the judge like you made a mistake and are wondering if the judge caught it.

When trotting or walking away from the judge, you have probably just completed either a pivot or other maneuver. When you finish that maneuver, take a moment to square your horse up. Count "1-2" and give a small nod to the judge on "2." When asked to walk or trot off, get your horse and yourself into position, again count "1-2" and again give a small nod to the judge on "2" keeping your chin up. Turn away, pick a point directly in front of you to move toward and move your horse off, without looking back. Position your horse in the lineup, square up, and look at the judge.

The counting may sound awkward, but it puts a nice crisp finish on your pattern. Judges don't like to see an exhibitor slop from one maneuver to another, and the counting acts as a reminder to keep it crisp and cadenced.

I like the 1-2 idea!!

I have been told that judges like you to look back. I never did it because, as someone else pointed out, I might trip and fall down. I feel that if I get second instead of first because I didn't look back..thats ok. I'm pretty sure they don't give the idiot who falls down anything. [Duh]

I like the 1-2 idea!!

I have been told that judges like you to look back. I never did it because, as someone else pointed out, I might trip and fall down. I feel that if I get second instead of first because I didn't look back..thats ok. I'm pretty sure they don't give the idiot who falls down anything. [Duh]

quote:

Originally posted by Kitari:

what is showmanship?

Showmanship is an in-hand class where the handler and horse are judged on grooming, presentation and the completion of a simple pattern. Sometimes it's called Fitting and Showing.

quote:

Originally posted by Kitari:

what is showmanship?

Showmanship is an in-hand class where the handler and horse are judged on grooming, presentation and the completion of a simple pattern. Sometimes it's called Fitting and Showing.