Sign in to follow this  
goldentoes

Yoda Update- first show report card!

Just since I love updates, and love my pony and want everybody to see him... he went to his very first hunter show yesterday, a local show (well, not local to us, but local as in not rated, LOL) where they have a couple divisions suitable for his experience level (so we don't have to do flat classes and wait for the jumping stuff in between, but can actually do whole divisions)

Grades:

Trailer loading: A++++ (he was perfect!)

Cars/trucks/trailers: B+ (just a bit nervous about the traffic)

Strange dogs: A (as usual)

1st time in a ring with a fence: B+

1st time working in company: B- (he started VERY upset in the warmup but worked out of it for the flat classes, mostly)

Jumping strange jumps: B (stopped in warmup at the brush and flowers but only once, then did quite well)

In the flat classes, I didn't move him out as well as I should have- I wanted relaxed, and it felt to me that the best way to achieve relaxed was to go a little slower than I might have if we were both more confident. This was probably more my nerves than his.

In the jumping round, he was a STAR. There are no words for how good he was. He felt confident, got all the strides, came back and flowed forward into the lines, and would have been perfect except for one messy lead change, and him bulging away from the judge's stand, so one of the lines was very crooked though he still jumped out quite well and without missing a beat. We also had one jump that we got just a titch too close to.

It's funny the things you don't think about that they have to learn- he won't drink water away from home, even if it's water FROM home. He also won't urinate in public. He did finally go on the trailer, but you could tell he was uncomfortable and without time to undress him and put him somewhere quiet, he'll need to learn it's OK to just go. Which is not something I ever really thought about before (but this showed up in the second flat class, he started getting uncomfortable and irritable at that point)

-

The warmup ring- scary! Horses, Ponies, kids flying around! tents! judge's stands! concession stands! cars! eep!

-

Not too bad [smile] And I don't look like a monkey in this picture

-

I think he likes this jumping stuff when I remember to ride somewhat properly, though having looked at some of the other pictures I have a list of things to work on.

-

[smile]

What was also nice- strangers coming up to me and my boyfriend and trainer (fatpony on the boards) and mentioning they liked my horse [smile] I certainly didn't expect that and it made me very pleased... I often think of him as my not-fancy baby, but having others compliment him has made me rethink that a bit, LOL

Just since I love updates, and love my pony and want everybody to see him... he went to his very first hunter show yesterday, a local show (well, not local to us, but local as in not rated, LOL) where they have a couple divisions suitable for his experience level (so we don't have to do flat classes and wait for the jumping stuff in between, but can actually do whole divisions)

Grades:

Trailer loading: A++++ (he was perfect!)

Cars/trucks/trailers: B+ (just a bit nervous about the traffic)

Strange dogs: A (as usual)

1st time in a ring with a fence: B+

1st time working in company: B- (he started VERY upset in the warmup but worked out of it for the flat classes, mostly)

Jumping strange jumps: B (stopped in warmup at the brush and flowers but only once, then did quite well)

In the flat classes, I didn't move him out as well as I should have- I wanted relaxed, and it felt to me that the best way to achieve relaxed was to go a little slower than I might have if we were both more confident. This was probably more my nerves than his.

In the jumping round, he was a STAR. There are no words for how good he was. He felt confident, got all the strides, came back and flowed forward into the lines, and would have been perfect except for one messy lead change, and him bulging away from the judge's stand, so one of the lines was very crooked though he still jumped out quite well and without missing a beat. We also had one jump that we got just a titch too close to.

It's funny the things you don't think about that they have to learn- he won't drink water away from home, even if it's water FROM home. He also won't urinate in public. He did finally go on the trailer, but you could tell he was uncomfortable and without time to undress him and put him somewhere quiet, he'll need to learn it's OK to just go. Which is not something I ever really thought about before (but this showed up in the second flat class, he started getting uncomfortable and irritable at that point)

-

The warmup ring- scary! Horses, Ponies, kids flying around! tents! judge's stands! concession stands! cars! eep!

-

Not too bad [smile] And I don't look like a monkey in this picture

-

I think he likes this jumping stuff when I remember to ride somewhat properly, though having looked at some of the other pictures I have a list of things to work on.

-

[smile]

What was also nice- strangers coming up to me and my boyfriend and trainer (fatpony on the boards) and mentioning they liked my horse [smile] I certainly didn't expect that and it made me very pleased... I often think of him as my not-fancy baby, but having others compliment him has made me rethink that a bit, LOL

I've always enjoyed your pictures of Yoda. He's such a handsome guy. Does look like he enjoys jumping. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I've always enjoyed your pictures of Yoda. He's such a handsome guy. Does look like he enjoys jumping. Thanks for sharing the pics.

He looks so good!

There aren't a lot of people I remember from when I first came to HC, but I do remember you because of Yoda the PMU baby. Its awesome to see him all grown up and looking pretty darn great.

And...Adrienne is in Baltimore now? (thats where you live isn't it?) I didn't realize that...lucky you for having a cool trainer like her!

[big Grin]

He looks so good!

There aren't a lot of people I remember from when I first came to HC, but I do remember you because of Yoda the PMU baby. Its awesome to see him all grown up and looking pretty darn great.

And...Adrienne is in Baltimore now? (thats where you live isn't it?) I didn't realize that...lucky you for having a cool trainer like her!

[big Grin]

Of course I love your pony's name.

Let's talk about the scarey notion, at least to my horse, of urinating anywhere except his stall. I think you may have the same problem. When mine is needing to relieve himself he gets more testy and you can tell he's uncomfortable. I try to find a stall, loosen his saddle etc. and leave him alone for a little while. It does sometimes work (he won't go in the trailer either). After 19 yrs, he actually went while I was on him at a show last year. That was the FIRST time I had ever been riding when he went. If you've had your horse for awhile you get the little signals he's giving you to "ask" you to help him out by helping him find some relief. You can learn to work around this quirk.

Of course I love your pony's name.

Let's talk about the scarey notion, at least to my horse, of urinating anywhere except his stall. I think you may have the same problem. When mine is needing to relieve himself he gets more testy and you can tell he's uncomfortable. I try to find a stall, loosen his saddle etc. and leave him alone for a little while. It does sometimes work (he won't go in the trailer either). After 19 yrs, he actually went while I was on him at a show last year. That was the FIRST time I had ever been riding when he went. If you've had your horse for awhile you get the little signals he's giving you to "ask" you to help him out by helping him find some relief. You can learn to work around this quirk.

Great for you, goldentoes and yoda! You guys look great and did great! [Yay]

That cracks me up about the "peeing in public" thing. I take a lot of baby cutting horses to their first shows when we start hauling them, and most every one of them has that same problem at first. LMAO I guess I can't blame them. I don't like peeing in public either [ROTFL]

Great for you, goldentoes and yoda! You guys look great and did great! [Yay]

That cracks me up about the "peeing in public" thing. I take a lot of baby cutting horses to their first shows when we start hauling them, and most every one of them has that same problem at first. LMAO I guess I can't blame them. I don't like peeing in public either [ROTFL]

I think it will be easier to handle that when he gets more advanced- right now, the baby divisions are usually what start things off, so there's not really any time between warmup/schooling and the first classes to give him some time to relax (at this show in particular, the jumps weren't put down to crossrails until the END of the schooling session- so getting there earlier wouldn't have helped much, unfortunately)

I *think* at the next one we're going to, there's a division before I'd go, so he'll have some time to chill on the trailer and relieve himself if necessary, LOL

I think it will be easier to handle that when he gets more advanced- right now, the baby divisions are usually what start things off, so there's not really any time between warmup/schooling and the first classes to give him some time to relax (at this show in particular, the jumps weren't put down to crossrails until the END of the schooling session- so getting there earlier wouldn't have helped much, unfortunately)

I *think* at the next one we're going to, there's a division before I'd go, so he'll have some time to chill on the trailer and relieve himself if necessary, LOL