Sign in to follow this  
qhridinGA

starting a 2 year old

well actually he is over 2 1/2 now. But it has been a long time since i have started a young one. I have heard 2 different opinions on alot of things.

Do you or Do you not use a chin strap on a snaffle bit? One guy told me to always use a chin strap. I dont see how it would do any good. That is not a leverage bit. Other than keeping the bit from pulling through his mouth, and he has never opened his mouth to fight a bit. I have done not much more than halter break him, and teach him to load and trailer. He has worn a bridle 1 time. It will be fall before he ever gets a rider. He has sweet itch, although his belly is healed, but i dont want to irritate it making him sweat with a girth on. But it is not up that close to his front legs.

I know this is my fault, but it my own hang up not his. He is a good colt, he is already gelded and he has a good attitude. He yields well to pressure and seems to enjoy our short training sessions. I dont care how long it will take me to finish him, i am not on any time line. But my problem is, I am terrified to tie him. He has never been tied. I rarely tie any of my horses, even the ones that are broke to tie. I dont want to get into the story but i have my reasons for not tieing him. I do know that he needs to be taught to tie. He is great with my loose cotton belly rope and he is very calm wearing it. I may put that on him and just loop it around a post and hold the end. That way if he freaks out I can release the rope. It is my issue not his. The whole part of tieing him makes me sick to my stomach. I am like that now typing this but when it comes to working with him, I am about him not myself. So i work myself up here and then i am fine around him. It is weird.

thanks

v

well actually he is over 2 1/2 now. But it has been a long time since i have started a young one. I have heard 2 different opinions on alot of things.

Do you or Do you not use a chin strap on a snaffle bit? One guy told me to always use a chin strap. I dont see how it would do any good. That is not a leverage bit. Other than keeping the bit from pulling through his mouth, and he has never opened his mouth to fight a bit. I have done not much more than halter break him, and teach him to load and trailer. He has worn a bridle 1 time. It will be fall before he ever gets a rider. He has sweet itch, although his belly is healed, but i dont want to irritate it making him sweat with a girth on. But it is not up that close to his front legs.

I know this is my fault, but it my own hang up not his. He is a good colt, he is already gelded and he has a good attitude. He yields well to pressure and seems to enjoy our short training sessions. I dont care how long it will take me to finish him, i am not on any time line. But my problem is, I am terrified to tie him. He has never been tied. I rarely tie any of my horses, even the ones that are broke to tie. I dont want to get into the story but i have my reasons for not tieing him. I do know that he needs to be taught to tie. He is great with my loose cotton belly rope and he is very calm wearing it. I may put that on him and just loop it around a post and hold the end. That way if he freaks out I can release the rope. It is my issue not his. The whole part of tieing him makes me sick to my stomach. I am like that now typing this but when it comes to working with him, I am about him not myself. So i work myself up here and then i am fine around him. It is weird.

thanks

v

The way I would teach a horse to tie is to grab a lounge line and just put it around a post. You will have one end in your hand and the horse would be connected to the other end. You would first tighten the line up so there is a little pressure and if he freaks and backs up, let him have some slack. Then once he is done freaking out, tighten it up a little. He will learn that he will never get away from the line if he fights.

The way I would teach a horse to tie is to grab a lounge line and just put it around a post. You will have one end in your hand and the horse would be connected to the other end. You would first tighten the line up so there is a little pressure and if he freaks and backs up, let him have some slack. Then once he is done freaking out, tighten it up a little. He will learn that he will never get away from the line if he fights.

I have a three year old(turned three in june) I do have a chin strap on him. It doesn't hurt for them to wear one. And the previous trainer had him with a chin strap on as well. About the tying...I honestly can't really help you there. My three year old is my first young one, but he came to me being able to tie. The previous trainer expected his horses to stand tied at a post or trailer for hours.....so I'm sorry but I have no idea how to handle a pulling back issue. Everyone once in awhile my horse will pull back a little, but he gives in to pressure and stops. does your 2 year old give into pressure at all? if he does he shouldn't have any issue tying. Good luck!

I have a three year old(turned three in june) I do have a chin strap on him. It doesn't hurt for them to wear one. And the previous trainer had him with a chin strap on as well. About the tying...I honestly can't really help you there. My three year old is my first young one, but he came to me being able to tie. The previous trainer expected his horses to stand tied at a post or trailer for hours.....so I'm sorry but I have no idea how to handle a pulling back issue. Everyone once in awhile my horse will pull back a little, but he gives in to pressure and stops. does your 2 year old give into pressure at all? if he does he shouldn't have any issue tying. Good luck!

You use just a leather chin strap on a snaffle to keep it from sliding through their mouths when you are flexing them. Otherwise it diesn't do much else! [Wink]

You use just a leather chin strap on a snaffle to keep it from sliding through their mouths when you are flexing them. Otherwise it diesn't do much else! [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by lopenslow28:

You use just a leather chin strap on a snaffle to keep it from sliding through their mouths when you are flexing them. Otherwise it diesn't do much else!
[Wink]

Oh geez I forget what it is called but they also have these round rubber things you put on the end of the bit which prevents it from moving also. The chin strap helps, but doesn't really prevent the bit from sliding..If the bit is moving I would go by the rubber bit fits...I will try to get the name of it, but any equine store should have them. They look funny but it really helps!

quote:

You use just a leather chin strap on a snaffle to keep it from sliding through their mouths when you are flexing them. Otherwise it diesn't do much else!
[Wink]

Oh geez I forget what it is called but they also have these round rubber things you put on the end of the bit which prevents it from moving also. The chin strap helps, but doesn't really prevent the bit from sliding..If the bit is moving I would go by the rubber bit fits...I will try to get the name of it, but any equine store should have them. They look funny but it really helps!

I got my 3 yr. old when she was a weanling and she wasn't even halter broke. She wasn't fond of being tied and started pulling back. When I sent her for 30 days training, the trainer tied her with a bungee cord. There was one time she pulled back and she stretched the bungee about 20 feet and it still brought her right back to the wall. SHe never pulled after that. Not sure what it was about that but that did it for her. Bungees will hold out well though and it has some give. Oh, and use a rope halter. They won't break. They do make lead ropes with bungees in them now too which are nice. I have used those too. I still am nerveracked everytime I tie her because I am always wary of her picking up that bad habit again. When I tie her to the trailer I make sure to ALWAYS have a hay bag in front of her so she likes standing there.

Hope you get it figured out. I am sure it will be a lot better than you think!!!

Liz [Razz]

I got my 3 yr. old when she was a weanling and she wasn't even halter broke. She wasn't fond of being tied and started pulling back. When I sent her for 30 days training, the trainer tied her with a bungee cord. There was one time she pulled back and she stretched the bungee about 20 feet and it still brought her right back to the wall. SHe never pulled after that. Not sure what it was about that but that did it for her. Bungees will hold out well though and it has some give. Oh, and use a rope halter. They won't break. They do make lead ropes with bungees in them now too which are nice. I have used those too. I still am nerveracked everytime I tie her because I am always wary of her picking up that bad habit again. When I tie her to the trailer I make sure to ALWAYS have a hay bag in front of her so she likes standing there.

Hope you get it figured out. I am sure it will be a lot better than you think!!!

Liz [Razz]

No, Diego has never pulled back. He yields very nicely to any form of pressure. He has been handled since birth and is very friendly. I did turn him out with the horses for a while to teach him manners that only other horses can teach him. I was going to do the thing with the loop, but i need to either build something suitable or get a big tree. I dont want to tie him to the catch pen rails, that is unsafe specially if one falls off, and I dont want to tie him to the post. We really need to build a new catch pen. It is old and falling apart. I know when I buckle down and do it he will be fine. I will not tie him and leave him unattended for hours either. Not tied to a rubber tire or anything else. i would just as soon him never tie.

v

No, Diego has never pulled back. He yields very nicely to any form of pressure. He has been handled since birth and is very friendly. I did turn him out with the horses for a while to teach him manners that only other horses can teach him. I was going to do the thing with the loop, but i need to either build something suitable or get a big tree. I dont want to tie him to the catch pen rails, that is unsafe specially if one falls off, and I dont want to tie him to the post. We really need to build a new catch pen. It is old and falling apart. I know when I buckle down and do it he will be fine. I will not tie him and leave him unattended for hours either. Not tied to a rubber tire or anything else. i would just as soon him never tie.

v

For the chin strap with a snaffle, there's no point to using one. Some people use them to help keep the bit from going through the mouth. If you are worried about that, just get a full cheek snaffle.

For the chin strap with a snaffle, there's no point to using one. Some people use them to help keep the bit from going through the mouth. If you are worried about that, just get a full cheek snaffle.

I should clairfy that, I dont mind the whole bungee cord thing, but not unattended. If that had broke and come back and slapped her in the face.... I have even heard it being used on a tie down. Most of my horses are just ground tied. They are not so much ground tied but they dont go anywhere. They get saddled with a loose lead rope and everything. But I dont remember teaching them that. It just comes with maturity I think.

v

I should clairfy that, I dont mind the whole bungee cord thing, but not unattended. If that had broke and come back and slapped her in the face.... I have even heard it being used on a tie down. Most of my horses are just ground tied. They are not so much ground tied but they dont go anywhere. They get saddled with a loose lead rope and everything. But I dont remember teaching them that. It just comes with maturity I think.

v

thanks yall for all your help, I appreciate it. I may end up sending him to a trainer, because I am very busy with work and it would be a year before he is broke for a trail ride by the time I get done.

v

thanks yall for all your help, I appreciate it. I may end up sending him to a trainer, because I am very busy with work and it would be a year before he is broke for a trail ride by the time I get done.

v

quote:

Originally posted by qhridinGA:

v

Yes I would send him to a trainer..not that you can't handle it..but like I said about my three year old he ties, clips, bathes, and rides really broke because of an awesome trainer..it just makes yourlife easier [big Grin]

quote:

v

Yes I would send him to a trainer..not that you can't handle it..but like I said about my three year old he ties, clips, bathes, and rides really broke because of an awesome trainer..it just makes yourlife easier [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:

quote:

[Wink]

They are called Bit guards. I use them so that the loose ring snaffle doesn't pinch, but you could also use them to prevent the moving around too, I just never thought of that.

quote:

quote:

[Wink]

They are called Bit guards. I use them so that the loose ring snaffle doesn't pinch, but you could also use them to prevent the moving around too, I just never thought of that.

quote:

quote:

v

Yes I would send him to a trainer..not that you can't handle it..but like I said about my three year old he ties, clips, bathes, and rides really broke because of an awesome trainer..it just makes yourlife easier
[big Grin]
Thanks...I totally went through a mind freeze!!!

quote:

quote:

v

Yes I would send him to a trainer..not that you can't handle it..but like I said about my three year old he ties, clips, bathes, and rides really broke because of an awesome trainer..it just makes yourlife easier
[big Grin]
Thanks...I totally went through a mind freeze!!!

I like to ride in just the halter at first. Then when they are going well at the walk and some light trot work in that, then I move to a simple snaffle. If the bit fits well and you're not pulling too hard, the bit should not slip through their mouth. I have never used a chin strap with a snaffle.

I always ground drive and long line before teaching to ride. That way the horse is used to things on their sides moving and they know all about bit and halter pressure.

For the sweet itch, use a 100% pure mohair cinch. They breathe, whick sweat, and don't pinch like nylon string girths. My mare galls very easily, but she has NEVER galled with the mohair cinch.

As for tieing, send him off somewhere to learn to tie. He will feel your apprehention, and it will cause him to freak out. It would be better for the both of you to let someone else teach him to tie. I have worked with horses that don't tie well, and it's never fun! Better to have him tieing well from the start than to create a problem.

~Barbara

I like to ride in just the halter at first. Then when they are going well at the walk and some light trot work in that, then I move to a simple snaffle. If the bit fits well and you're not pulling too hard, the bit should not slip through their mouth. I have never used a chin strap with a snaffle.

I always ground drive and long line before teaching to ride. That way the horse is used to things on their sides moving and they know all about bit and halter pressure.

For the sweet itch, use a 100% pure mohair cinch. They breathe, whick sweat, and don't pinch like nylon string girths. My mare galls very easily, but she has NEVER galled with the mohair cinch.

As for tieing, send him off somewhere to learn to tie. He will feel your apprehention, and it will cause him to freak out. It would be better for the both of you to let someone else teach him to tie. I have worked with horses that don't tie well, and it's never fun! Better to have him tieing well from the start than to create a problem.

~Barbara