Sign in to follow this  
aliageUGA

x-post from Western..teaching a spin?

How can I start teaching a horse to spin? I'm not expecting to plus 1 anything, more like I'd like to start teaching him how to move so that if he were to go a trainer he would be ready and not screwed up to learn more. He will move away from pressure, I can push him up near his shoulder and he will cross over his front legs, and I can ask further back and he'll move his hips over. I have done a lot of work with bending and counter bending. We don't do pivots right now..its more like walking in small circles and then I will ask him to step over in front. I don't want to ask him to pivot standing still because he wants to back into it and I don't like that for a spin.

At what point does all that start to turn into a spin? What else should I do? I have done all this before when I worked for a trainer..but this was the point where I would start messing with another green horse and give this horse to the real trainer...so I can spin a finished horse and get to this point but I'm missing all the stuff that happens inbetween [Wink]

Please don't just tell me to go to a trainer...I'm pretty much just doing this for fun...its not my horse. I don't have a horse and will ride pretty much anything to get to ride and told this guy I would start his horse for him, but that was months ago and he still hasn't come back to get the horse so I'm just kinda playing around on him. He has turned out to be pretty athletic so its been fun and I'm kinda hoping the guy will decide he doesn't want the horse back so I can buy him for really cheap! (otherwise its gonna be a great deal for him [Duh] )

How can I start teaching a horse to spin? I'm not expecting to plus 1 anything, more like I'd like to start teaching him how to move so that if he were to go a trainer he would be ready and not screwed up to learn more. He will move away from pressure, I can push him up near his shoulder and he will cross over his front legs, and I can ask further back and he'll move his hips over. I have done a lot of work with bending and counter bending. We don't do pivots right now..its more like walking in small circles and then I will ask him to step over in front. I don't want to ask him to pivot standing still because he wants to back into it and I don't like that for a spin.

At what point does all that start to turn into a spin? What else should I do? I have done all this before when I worked for a trainer..but this was the point where I would start messing with another green horse and give this horse to the real trainer...so I can spin a finished horse and get to this point but I'm missing all the stuff that happens inbetween [Wink]

Please don't just tell me to go to a trainer...I'm pretty much just doing this for fun...its not my horse. I don't have a horse and will ride pretty much anything to get to ride and told this guy I would start his horse for him, but that was months ago and he still hasn't come back to get the horse so I'm just kinda playing around on him. He has turned out to be pretty athletic so its been fun and I'm kinda hoping the guy will decide he doesn't want the horse back so I can buy him for really cheap! (otherwise its gonna be a great deal for him [Duh] )

What I did was start out in a large circle at a walk, and gradually narrow the circle until the horse did a partial slow spin, work in each direction, work up to a full rotation, then work up to a trot and lope (over several sessions), then wean the horse off the beginning circle. When the horse understands your cues to spin and stay in the spin, it's not hard to wean them off the circle.

That, to me, was the easiest to understand and train.

I have a friend who uses the "shoulder-over" method (my words)... and her horse does move her shoulders over... but what she's ending up with after 2 years is a horse that pivots at the girth. Her shoulders may be moving clockwise, but so are her hips, rather than having one rear foot planted. I'm sure there are people who use this particular method with outstanding results, but I think it depends on skill level and understanding... and I'm a firm believer that you can only teach what you understand, and you have to be willing to learn more than one method to find what works for that particular horse.

What I did was start out in a large circle at a walk, and gradually narrow the circle until the horse did a partial slow spin, work in each direction, work up to a full rotation, then work up to a trot and lope (over several sessions), then wean the horse off the beginning circle. When the horse understands your cues to spin and stay in the spin, it's not hard to wean them off the circle.

That, to me, was the easiest to understand and train.

I have a friend who uses the "shoulder-over" method (my words)... and her horse does move her shoulders over... but what she's ending up with after 2 years is a horse that pivots at the girth. Her shoulders may be moving clockwise, but so are her hips, rather than having one rear foot planted. I'm sure there are people who use this particular method with outstanding results, but I think it depends on skill level and understanding... and I'm a firm believer that you can only teach what you understand, and you have to be willing to learn more than one method to find what works for that particular horse.