Sign in to follow this  
Banditt

Hobble training a yearling...

I bought a pair of hobbles made by weaver and I was curious if I should use them on him now or what are your opinions on hobbling a young 1 yr old. Mt trainer for riding lessons, says she hobble breaks all of her horses... Im scared if I put them on him he will freak out and break a leg or something

I bought a pair of hobbles made by weaver and I was curious if I should use them on him now or what are your opinions on hobbling a young 1 yr old. Mt trainer for riding lessons, says she hobble breaks all of her horses... Im scared if I put them on him he will freak out and break a leg or something

I would not hobble train a yearling, to me that is too young to expect them to safely learn to wear them. (JMO)

When training to hobble you should first start with a soft rope, not the hobbles themselves, around the fetlocks and work with the horse to work up to the actual hobbles.

I would not hobble train a yearling, to me that is too young to expect them to safely learn to wear them. (JMO)

When training to hobble you should first start with a soft rope, not the hobbles themselves, around the fetlocks and work with the horse to work up to the actual hobbles.

Well I imagine there are many steps you'd take before actually hobbling the horse, so that he doesn't freak out.

I'd start now getting him used to ropes and things around his legs. Then progress to putting bands around his legs where the hobbles would go. Then progress to lessons about giving to pressure (with the head, body, and legs).

After that, talk to a trainer about the next step in getting him ready for the hobbles.

Well I imagine there are many steps you'd take before actually hobbling the horse, so that he doesn't freak out.

I'd start now getting him used to ropes and things around his legs. Then progress to putting bands around his legs where the hobbles would go. Then progress to lessons about giving to pressure (with the head, body, and legs).

After that, talk to a trainer about the next step in getting him ready for the hobbles.

Adding to the others:

I would also teach him to groundtie before you start using any ropes around his legs so that he knows that when you tell him to stay there, he won't be running around, freaking out over the things on his legs.

Adding to the others:

I would also teach him to groundtie before you start using any ropes around his legs so that he knows that when you tell him to stay there, he won't be running around, freaking out over the things on his legs.