Sign in to follow this  
lopenslow28

UMmm...HELP!

Okay, this might sound a lot like the person who posted on head tossing but it is different and I'll explain why. When my husbands rope horse was at the trainers, she was doing this head tossing stuff. Not ALL the time. She would mostly do it when she wanted to go faster and you held her back. Her teeth WERE bad so they had them floated but she was still feeling discomfort. So we decided to use a hackamore. She did a little better with that one but because he ropes, my husband also uses a tie down. Just recently he has wantd to get into ranch horse showing and I know she would be great at it but he is afraid she will toss her head without the tie down on. I told him it should be a tool for her not a training aid. He knows this but doens't know how to fix it.

I told him I would work with her (I am a teacher and have lots of time in the summers!) My 3 yr. old use to ride a little high headed so I did lots of flexion with her and it really taught her how to relax and just to give to pressure.

I did some flexion just on the ground with this horse and she really fought it at first. She refused to bend her head around so I just held pressure until she gave to me. (Used a halter). Once she figured it out she did great. Now the first couple times I asked her to bend her head around, once I let go, she would do the head toss thing. I just ignored it and kept flexing her. After about 15-20 flexes, I would let her head go when she gave to me and she would move her head back to center and just relax without any head tossing.

Does anyone think this is a good first step and should I keep doing it? I felt good about it and I am not sure how she will be when I am in the saddle. She is 10 and was an old farm horse that was strictly used for work with cattle. She is great at her job but just doesn't know the basics of just going out and riding. I think that the head bobbing just has to deal with the fact that she was never taught to correctly give to pressure and it became a habit. SHe also has NO whoa (I assume because she doesn't knwo how to give to pressure!) which is also something I will be working on with her.

I know this is really long but I need some advice/encouragement. I have done almost all the training on my own horse who is 3 so I feal fairly confident that I can do this with her but I just want to be sure that this will help the problem. I think it will but if it doesn't I won't know what to do with her.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me! [bang Head]

[ 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: lopenslow28 ]

Okay, this might sound a lot like the person who posted on head tossing but it is different and I'll explain why. When my husbands rope horse was at the trainers, she was doing this head tossing stuff. Not ALL the time. She would mostly do it when she wanted to go faster and you held her back. Her teeth WERE bad so they had them floated but she was still feeling discomfort. So we decided to use a hackamore. She did a little better with that one but because he ropes, my husband also uses a tie down. Just recently he has wantd to get into ranch horse showing and I know she would be great at it but he is afraid she will toss her head without the tie down on. I told him it should be a tool for her not a training aid. He knows this but doens't know how to fix it.

I told him I would work with her (I am a teacher and have lots of time in the summers!) My 3 yr. old use to ride a little high headed so I did lots of flexion with her and it really taught her how to relax and just to give to pressure.

I did some flexion just on the ground with this horse and she really fought it at first. She refused to bend her head around so I just held pressure until she gave to me. (Used a halter). Once she figured it out she did great. Now the first couple times I asked her to bend her head around, once I let go, she would do the head toss thing. I just ignored it and kept flexing her. After about 15-20 flexes, I would let her head go when she gave to me and she would move her head back to center and just relax without any head tossing.

Does anyone think this is a good first step and should I keep doing it? I felt good about it and I am not sure how she will be when I am in the saddle. She is 10 and was an old farm horse that was strictly used for work with cattle. She is great at her job but just doesn't know the basics of just going out and riding. I think that the head bobbing just has to deal with the fact that she was never taught to correctly give to pressure and it became a habit. SHe also has NO whoa (I assume because she doesn't knwo how to give to pressure!) which is also something I will be working on with her.

I know this is really long but I need some advice/encouragement. I have done almost all the training on my own horse who is 3 so I feal fairly confident that I can do this with her but I just want to be sure that this will help the problem. I think it will but if it doesn't I won't know what to do with her.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me! [bang Head]

[ 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: lopenslow28 ]

Oh, and a side note...I noticed that she tosses her head a lot to our other horses (mostly mine who is at the bottom of the totum pole) which I know is a dominance thing. So I don't knwo if that has anything to do with it.

Oh, and a side note...I noticed that she tosses her head a lot to our other horses (mostly mine who is at the bottom of the totum pole) which I know is a dominance thing. So I don't knwo if that has anything to do with it.

Yes head flexng s very good. When i ever I have Rhiatta on the halter I will do a few on both sides. Also I do this everytme I get on him. If he ever seems like he is not paying attention then I will flex his head again. It loosens him up, and lets me know how responsive he is on that day....also try doing vertical flexings.....grab the reins while in the saddle and hole them tight to you thighs. She may fight(or head toss) but do not give in. Wait until she lowers her head and is not fighting. Hope this helps!

Yes head flexng s very good. When i ever I have Rhiatta on the halter I will do a few on both sides. Also I do this everytme I get on him. If he ever seems like he is not paying attention then I will flex his head again. It loosens him up, and lets me know how responsive he is on that day....also try doing vertical flexings.....grab the reins while in the saddle and hole them tight to you thighs. She may fight(or head toss) but do not give in. Wait until she lowers her head and is not fighting. Hope this helps!

quote:

Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:

also try doing vertical flexings.....grab the reins while in the saddle and hole them tight to you thighs. She may fight(or head toss) but do not give in. Wait until she lowers her head and is not fighting. Hope this helps!

That is what I started working with on Buzz and he is very responsive to it. Just pull back and don't let up until she bends at her poll. Then push your hands forward as her reward. And as time goes by and she is getting better at her vertical flexing, you can increase the time she holds the flex.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:

also try doing vertical flexings.....grab the reins while in the saddle and hole them tight to you thighs. She may fight(or head toss) but do not give in. Wait until she lowers her head and is not fighting. Hope this helps!

That is what I started working with on Buzz and he is very responsive to it. Just pull back and don't let up until she bends at her poll. Then push your hands forward as her reward. And as time goes by and she is getting better at her vertical flexing, you can increase the time she holds the flex.

I just got in from working with ehr this afternoon and I was doin ga lot of vertical flexion because she does the lateral flexion so well. At a stand still she will flex and break at the poll and put her head down. But 50 percent of the time, once her head is down and I IMMEDIATLY give her the reins, she still flings her head out as if she is trying to pull the reins from my hands. At first she did it every other time I asked her to flex vertically and the more I did it the less she did it. There were a couple times I would ask her four or five tiems before she would offer a nasty head fling after so I figured that is improvement if anything.

SO you think the "fling" will subside as long as I keep it up? I have to keep calm with her because she is naturally a hot horse and if I get her frazzled she just goes with it and feeds on that. I was trying to also work on her backing up and when she put her head down and broke at the poll I would let her stand and rest. After about five of those she gets a little frazzled and we walk forward and get calmed down to a stand still again and start over.

I know I should probably work on one thing at a time so I will just do the vertical flexion at a standstill. I guess I will just stay at that point until the head fling goes away and she will give to me for a few seconds? Sound right? And then work on it at walking?

My husband is suing a hackamore on her and I did the flexing this afternoon with a ring snaffle. She didn't act like it hurt her mouth or she was unconfortable with it so I hope this will be fine to work her in for now. SHe is just such a great horse on cattle that I would hate to see my husband not have fun with her at ranch horse shows because of the stupid head toss thing. I am trying to break a 10 year habit here!!! WIsh me luck and keep the advice coming if anyone has any! Thanks!

I just got in from working with ehr this afternoon and I was doin ga lot of vertical flexion because she does the lateral flexion so well. At a stand still she will flex and break at the poll and put her head down. But 50 percent of the time, once her head is down and I IMMEDIATLY give her the reins, she still flings her head out as if she is trying to pull the reins from my hands. At first she did it every other time I asked her to flex vertically and the more I did it the less she did it. There were a couple times I would ask her four or five tiems before she would offer a nasty head fling after so I figured that is improvement if anything.

SO you think the "fling" will subside as long as I keep it up? I have to keep calm with her because she is naturally a hot horse and if I get her frazzled she just goes with it and feeds on that. I was trying to also work on her backing up and when she put her head down and broke at the poll I would let her stand and rest. After about five of those she gets a little frazzled and we walk forward and get calmed down to a stand still again and start over.

I know I should probably work on one thing at a time so I will just do the vertical flexion at a standstill. I guess I will just stay at that point until the head fling goes away and she will give to me for a few seconds? Sound right? And then work on it at walking?

My husband is suing a hackamore on her and I did the flexing this afternoon with a ring snaffle. She didn't act like it hurt her mouth or she was unconfortable with it so I hope this will be fine to work her in for now. SHe is just such a great horse on cattle that I would hate to see my husband not have fun with her at ranch horse shows because of the stupid head toss thing. I am trying to break a 10 year habit here!!! WIsh me luck and keep the advice coming if anyone has any! Thanks!

Yikes! I'm also interested in whatever advice is posted here. This sounds like our new horse Bo, except he only tosses his head when being ridden in our turnout area--he doesn't do it when trail riding. He is great at lateral flexion but I need to try the vertical too. The people we bought him from were riding in a hackamore which I'm not nuts about. After we get back from vacation we are going to have both horses' teeth floated and then we're going to try a snaffle on Bo. That head tossing thing is so annoying! [Mad]

Yikes! I'm also interested in whatever advice is posted here. This sounds like our new horse Bo, except he only tosses his head when being ridden in our turnout area--he doesn't do it when trail riding. He is great at lateral flexion but I need to try the vertical too. The people we bought him from were riding in a hackamore which I'm not nuts about. After we get back from vacation we are going to have both horses' teeth floated and then we're going to try a snaffle on Bo. That head tossing thing is so annoying! [Mad]

Tell me about it! It is hard too when you want to get after them for it but you realize that it is probably a habit they hardly realize they are doing! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one dealing with the head "fling" junk!

Tell me about it! It is hard too when you want to get after them for it but you realize that it is probably a habit they hardly realize they are doing! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one dealing with the head "fling" junk!