Sign in to follow this  
rainyspirit

flaky Arabian

Merry--with all due respect, I don't think that "if you have only ever had Arabians, you don't know what a non-reactive horse is like" is the case. I may be from Oregon, but not all of Oregon is the Willamette Valley. I live on the east side of the Cascades in an area that is loaded with cattle ranches and other lifestock operations. It is horse country. The vast majority of the people that I come in to contact with and ride with have stock horses of one breed or another. I belong to a saddle club with over 150 members and when I show up for rides, my mare is the only Arab there without exception. (what a shame) I have plenty of exposure to horses with a reputation for being less "hot" than mine. I wouldn't trade any of them. Many of them are not as well behaved and are in fact "hotter" than my mare. And my mare is not an exception to the true Arab rule. Within any breed you will get horses that are hotter, horses that are cooler, horses that are smarter, horses that-----aren't. It is an individual thing. With any horse, you have to be at least as smart as the horse. With Arabs, that is just a little tougher sometimes. [big Grin] My mare, and a dozen or more other Arabs that have come before her, is a dream. My gelding (half-Arab) has been one of the smartest and most people pleasing horses I have ever known. While I wouldn't say that I wouldn't have anything else,(a good horse is a good horse-regardless of breed) being Arab or part Arab is a mark on the plus side, in my book.

Merry--with all due respect, I don't think that "if you have only ever had Arabians, you don't know what a non-reactive horse is like" is the case. I may be from Oregon, but not all of Oregon is the Willamette Valley. I live on the east side of the Cascades in an area that is loaded with cattle ranches and other lifestock operations. It is horse country. The vast majority of the people that I come in to contact with and ride with have stock horses of one breed or another. I belong to a saddle club with over 150 members and when I show up for rides, my mare is the only Arab there without exception. (what a shame) I have plenty of exposure to horses with a reputation for being less "hot" than mine. I wouldn't trade any of them. Many of them are not as well behaved and are in fact "hotter" than my mare. And my mare is not an exception to the true Arab rule. Within any breed you will get horses that are hotter, horses that are cooler, horses that are smarter, horses that-----aren't. It is an individual thing. With any horse, you have to be at least as smart as the horse. With Arabs, that is just a little tougher sometimes. [big Grin] My mare, and a dozen or more other Arabs that have come before her, is a dream. My gelding (half-Arab) has been one of the smartest and most people pleasing horses I have ever known. While I wouldn't say that I wouldn't have anything else,(a good horse is a good horse-regardless of breed) being Arab or part Arab is a mark on the plus side, in my book.

---"Maybe if, like you say, you always had arabians, so you really don't know what a nice, gentle slow, non-reactive horse is like, the less reactive arabian seems dead gentle to you? [Wink]

Just teasing! [big Grin] "---

I could not have been any more clear that I was teasing about those kinds of preconceived ideas, could I? [Confused]

Of the thousands of horses I have been around and ridden, a few stand out.

One was this little bay arabian colt I started for one of the best breeders of iberian arabians, Ibarra.

That colt felt like you were floating high in the sky, never felt anything that moved quite like him, looked like a cheetah, even jumping him.

Sad to see him go, when they came to take those colts back.

I don't have anything against arabians. [surrender]

[ 07-23-2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

---"Maybe if, like you say, you always had arabians, so you really don't know what a nice, gentle slow, non-reactive horse is like, the less reactive arabian seems dead gentle to you? [Wink]

Just teasing! [big Grin] "---

I could not have been any more clear that I was teasing about those kinds of preconceived ideas, could I? [Confused]

Of the thousands of horses I have been around and ridden, a few stand out.

One was this little bay arabian colt I started for one of the best breeders of iberian arabians, Ibarra.

That colt felt like you were floating high in the sky, never felt anything that moved quite like him, looked like a cheetah, even jumping him.

Sad to see him go, when they came to take those colts back.

I don't have anything against arabians. [surrender]

[ 07-23-2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

Fair enough. It is just that many a truth (or perceived truth) is said in jest and people who like Arabs find themselves defending them a lot. It sort of becomes second-nature after awhile. [surrender][Huggy][surrender]

Fair enough. It is just that many a truth (or perceived truth) is said in jest and people who like Arabs find themselves defending them a lot. It sort of becomes second-nature after awhile. [surrender][Huggy][surrender]

Yes, as does being picked on when it should have been clear there was no intent to offend.

As you say, one becomes defensive easily, if it happens enough. [Eek!]

You have a PM. [surrender]

Yes, as does being picked on when it should have been clear there was no intent to offend.

As you say, one becomes defensive easily, if it happens enough. [Eek!]

You have a PM. [surrender]

MyDakota,

I also have Arabs; I'm east of the Cascades in Oregon and get a lot of grief from the local Quarter and Paint people. I know another person who has Arabs in my area. Maybe we should get together and make a PR push for the breed. I had success in getting our farrier to believe in the breed thanks to my gray mare.

MyDakota,

I also have Arabs; I'm east of the Cascades in Oregon and get a lot of grief from the local Quarter and Paint people. I know another person who has Arabs in my area. Maybe we should get together and make a PR push for the breed. I had success in getting our farrier to believe in the breed thanks to my gray mare.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "picked on". However, the tone this is starting to take indicates that perhaps it would be best if we walked away here.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "picked on". However, the tone this is starting to take indicates that perhaps it would be best if we walked away here.

Yep, they have a rep. I have had people come right out and tell me: "I don't like Arabians"

That's fine with me. There's no rule or law that says they have to! [Crazy]

I like Arabians, and that's plenty good for me [big Grin]

Actually, I don't know of a breed I don't like. [Wink]

quote:

Don't let people try to tell you that you can't spank an Arabian. He can take a spanking just like a cold blooded horse. He is just smarter and it won't take more than one or two of them and 'he'll get the heck outta Dodge' when you tell him.

People just get it in their heads that Arabs are such 'hot bloods' that you can't get after them. Not so. You just better be sure that they know what they're doing wrong and then they will stop the behavior quicker than most other 'thick skinned' horses.

Just wanted to emphasize this, as it is so true! [Not Worthy]

Yep, they have a rep. I have had people come right out and tell me: "I don't like Arabians"

That's fine with me. There's no rule or law that says they have to! [Crazy]

I like Arabians, and that's plenty good for me [big Grin]

Actually, I don't know of a breed I don't like. [Wink]

quote:

Don't let people try to tell you that you can't spank an Arabian. He can take a spanking just like a cold blooded horse. He is just smarter and it won't take more than one or two of them and 'he'll get the heck outta Dodge' when you tell him.

People just get it in their heads that Arabs are such 'hot bloods' that you can't get after them. Not so. You just better be sure that they know what they're doing wrong and then they will stop the behavior quicker than most other 'thick skinned' horses.

Just wanted to emphasize this, as it is so true! [Not Worthy]

i have two arabs

wouldnt trade them for the world.

when my mare was sound she had potential to go in any direction. after a freak pasture accident shes just a real purty pasture pet LOL

my other Arab is more or less the type that people dislike. hes athletic as all get out , short and very intense.

he takes a real rider , you can't just throw someone on him and hope for the best.

hes also been passed around quite a bit , suffered some nasty abuse and is now in his permanent home...

everything Cheri said is true , sometimes with any horse you have to just think differently.

i have two arabs

wouldnt trade them for the world.

when my mare was sound she had potential to go in any direction. after a freak pasture accident shes just a real purty pasture pet LOL

my other Arab is more or less the type that people dislike. hes athletic as all get out , short and very intense.

he takes a real rider , you can't just throw someone on him and hope for the best.

hes also been passed around quite a bit , suffered some nasty abuse and is now in his permanent home...

everything Cheri said is true , sometimes with any horse you have to just think differently.

This is one of several arabians I have used as ranch horses, along with quarter horses.

He could outwork many other horses, of any breed.

He looked scrawny and plain when I got him, but turned into a beautiful horse later:

-

This is one of several arabians I have used as ranch horses, along with quarter horses.

He could outwork many other horses, of any breed.

He looked scrawny and plain when I got him, but turned into a beautiful horse later:

-

Yep I own an Arabian and he IS the steroetypical misunderstood horse! He is more apt to spook,.more apt to run off,..more apt to challenge you than any other of my horse's but I absolutely agree that it is simply a case of him being THAT much smarter and having that much more stamina than the others.

I can ride him fine,.I can catch him fine,..I can do anything I want with him,..but it didn't start that way! I got him and he was way wise to the game and it took a simple bit of convincing him that I was worthy of him and that I was in control and he didn't need to steer the boat for me,..once that happened,.he was fine.

He is perhaps the Goofiest of my horse's and very playful,..often misunderstood as disrespectful if you don't know him,..but,..truth be told,..he accepts me as one with him and I consider that an honor!

Takes a certain brain to handle some Arabians and that includes one that is ready to be creative and playful,..they LOVE it!

ANd I don't baby him or talk quetly to him when he reacts,..I get bigger and calmer all at the same time,..let him know,..knock it off I got this,..relax,..and he is happy to let me run the show.

But I can see why people feel this way. I call him my idiot arabian all the time and people get offended when they don't understand I mean it as a term of endearment to him! I tell him,."Don't go acting all Idiot Arabian on me,..you know better!",.and since he's mine,..and I know him best,..I can say that!LOL

But his last owners certainly were not ready for him that's for sure! They hated him! Said he was untrainable,..ha ha,..no he wasn't,..he just had dismissed them,..thats all!LOL

Shelley

Yep I own an Arabian and he IS the steroetypical misunderstood horse! He is more apt to spook,.more apt to run off,..more apt to challenge you than any other of my horse's but I absolutely agree that it is simply a case of him being THAT much smarter and having that much more stamina than the others.

I can ride him fine,.I can catch him fine,..I can do anything I want with him,..but it didn't start that way! I got him and he was way wise to the game and it took a simple bit of convincing him that I was worthy of him and that I was in control and he didn't need to steer the boat for me,..once that happened,.he was fine.

He is perhaps the Goofiest of my horse's and very playful,..often misunderstood as disrespectful if you don't know him,..but,..truth be told,..he accepts me as one with him and I consider that an honor!

Takes a certain brain to handle some Arabians and that includes one that is ready to be creative and playful,..they LOVE it!

ANd I don't baby him or talk quetly to him when he reacts,..I get bigger and calmer all at the same time,..let him know,..knock it off I got this,..relax,..and he is happy to let me run the show.

But I can see why people feel this way. I call him my idiot arabian all the time and people get offended when they don't understand I mean it as a term of endearment to him! I tell him,."Don't go acting all Idiot Arabian on me,..you know better!",.and since he's mine,..and I know him best,..I can say that!LOL

But his last owners certainly were not ready for him that's for sure! They hated him! Said he was untrainable,..ha ha,..no he wasn't,..he just had dismissed them,..thats all!LOL

Shelley

quote:

Originally posted by Shelley and Andy Carter:

[Not Worthy] They will teach you the meaning of patience and turn you into a zen master! [Crazy] Maybe that's why my family got me an Arab for my second horse? [Question]

quote:

Originally posted by Shelley and Andy Carter:

[Not Worthy] They will teach you the meaning of patience and turn you into a zen master! [Crazy] Maybe that's why my family got me an Arab for my second horse? [Question]

another thing an Arab will do is teach you how to hang the **** on.

the one summer i rode my little bay Arab bareback EVERYWHERE , and i gotta say , i thought i knew how to stay on. after that summer i KNEW how to stay on LOL

with the mare she was about 8 or 9 at the time , we were watching a friends boarding stable while they were away and brought our horses with us.

there was a horse there aptly named trouble , took a real disliking to my pony , well being the boss mare , my mothers arab broke up a fight between the two and trouble was enraged.

the horse reared up ad came down on her hip (a bunch of us saw it)

all the mare did was grunt.)

brought the horses in and she was dragging her rear right leg and there was gunk...

turns out she shatter a good portion of her hip , vet was up to his elbow in her flank pulling out floating bone chips.

she would be pasture sound but never rideable other then lead line , and shes to fiery for leadline .

so now she sits in my pasture happily doing nothing.

looks good doing it to lol

another thing an Arab will do is teach you how to hang the **** on.

the one summer i rode my little bay Arab bareback EVERYWHERE , and i gotta say , i thought i knew how to stay on. after that summer i KNEW how to stay on LOL

with the mare she was about 8 or 9 at the time , we were watching a friends boarding stable while they were away and brought our horses with us.

there was a horse there aptly named trouble , took a real disliking to my pony , well being the boss mare , my mothers arab broke up a fight between the two and trouble was enraged.

the horse reared up ad came down on her hip (a bunch of us saw it)

all the mare did was grunt.)

brought the horses in and she was dragging her rear right leg and there was gunk...

turns out she shatter a good portion of her hip , vet was up to his elbow in her flank pulling out floating bone chips.

she would be pasture sound but never rideable other then lead line , and shes to fiery for leadline .

so now she sits in my pasture happily doing nothing.

looks good doing it to lol