Sign in to follow this  
rainyspirit

flaky Arabian

I ahve an arab mare that I have owned since she was a yearling. When I started taking her on trails she does what your horse does. Looks at and forgien object , noise animal; tenses up and decieds that is time to leave. I just stay calm let her look at it and if she is determined that it is going to kill her we do circles until we are very close to it and stop. I try to get her to relax and ask her to go past again. If you are persisent and patient they will go past it and (for me and my mare anyway) when we go past again she will 'check it out' but as long as I stay confident she will go on and we won't have another problem with that particular situation again.

I ahve an arab mare that I have owned since she was a yearling. When I started taking her on trails she does what your horse does. Looks at and forgien object , noise animal; tenses up and decieds that is time to leave. I just stay calm let her look at it and if she is determined that it is going to kill her we do circles until we are very close to it and stop. I try to get her to relax and ask her to go past again. If you are persisent and patient they will go past it and (for me and my mare anyway) when we go past again she will 'check it out' but as long as I stay confident she will go on and we won't have another problem with that particular situation again.

Wow, Merry I can't believe how much the arabian in your post looks like my gelding. I have a picture of him on here under new members forum. He will be 6 in october so of course his colors are still changing. How old is the arabian in your post. By the way nice horse.

Wow, Merry I can't believe how much the arabian in your post looks like my gelding. I have a picture of him on here under new members forum. He will be 6 in october so of course his colors are still changing. How old is the arabian in your post. By the way nice horse.

He was just about to be five in the first picture.

A local arabian breeder bought him for her next stallion, his sire was Bravo, a Reserve Champion in the West, I think, grandson of Bask*.

When he was past four and still scrawny looking, she decided to geld him and sell him.

Maybe she should have waited another year or two, for him to mature into the nicer horse he became?

But, maybe he was not stallion material after all, since some polish arabians were not as super refined type as some judges like them.

I am not familiar with arabian breeding or shows, so can't tell how he compares with other show horses, but he sure was a good cowhorse.

Maybe your horse is from the same breeding lines, if they look similar.

As far as the original poster's question, I still think that time and exposure and getting to know each other should help with the current spookiness, unless he is a naturally very spooky horse and that not because he is an arabian. [Wink]

[ 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

He was just about to be five in the first picture.

A local arabian breeder bought him for her next stallion, his sire was Bravo, a Reserve Champion in the West, I think, grandson of Bask*.

When he was past four and still scrawny looking, she decided to geld him and sell him.

Maybe she should have waited another year or two, for him to mature into the nicer horse he became?

But, maybe he was not stallion material after all, since some polish arabians were not as super refined type as some judges like them.

I am not familiar with arabian breeding or shows, so can't tell how he compares with other show horses, but he sure was a good cowhorse.

Maybe your horse is from the same breeding lines, if they look similar.

As far as the original poster's question, I still think that time and exposure and getting to know each other should help with the current spookiness, unless he is a naturally very spooky horse and that not because he is an arabian. [Wink]

[ 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Merry ]

Since Merry posted her pic I will post mine!LOL

Here's Mega,..8 yr old Arabian gelding

-

Shelley

Since Merry posted her pic I will post mine!LOL

Here's Mega,..8 yr old Arabian gelding

-

Shelley

In a little over 30 years of raising & riding arabians, I think I've about seen both ends of the scale- from my stallion who had so much sense even the quarterhorse judges liked him- to the mare I have now. She has, to put it mildly, a "highly developed flight response"! I had a big jumper a few years back that was known to all as "The Idiot"- one of the most athletic horses of ANY breed I have ever ridden- but with a very, very warped sense of humor!! The one thing they all had in common? The same thing all of us have heard all our horse-lives: Wet Saddle Blankets Make the Horse!! My poor little pasture pet sees so little of me these days- but several years ago I had time to ride her 3-4 times a week for almost 2 months. She got just as sane as any ranch horse I've ever had!Time spent on their backs is what "makes" any of them.Time is what makes those kid horses that will let you hang upside-down under their necks by your ankles! I'm sure most of us remember that special horse we had as a teenager- whatever the breed- all summer long we LIVED on their backs.It'll work on "crazy arabs", too!

In a little over 30 years of raising & riding arabians, I think I've about seen both ends of the scale- from my stallion who had so much sense even the quarterhorse judges liked him- to the mare I have now. She has, to put it mildly, a "highly developed flight response"! I had a big jumper a few years back that was known to all as "The Idiot"- one of the most athletic horses of ANY breed I have ever ridden- but with a very, very warped sense of humor!! The one thing they all had in common? The same thing all of us have heard all our horse-lives: Wet Saddle Blankets Make the Horse!! My poor little pasture pet sees so little of me these days- but several years ago I had time to ride her 3-4 times a week for almost 2 months. She got just as sane as any ranch horse I've ever had!Time spent on their backs is what "makes" any of them.Time is what makes those kid horses that will let you hang upside-down under their necks by your ankles! I'm sure most of us remember that special horse we had as a teenager- whatever the breed- all summer long we LIVED on their backs.It'll work on "crazy arabs", too!

I'll echo nearly everything on this thread. I've got both extremes -- a couple of our mares, I wouldn't worry if a toddler wandered into their stall around their feet. However, our youngest mare, I could definately give away if she didn't belong to my mom who absolutely babies her to no end! They are incredibly smart -- I like to say, too smart for their own good sometimes. Once they figure you out, you got no place to go, haha!

Also echo the need to bond -- in whatever sense of the word you prefer -- with your horse. This is paramount when working with Arabs. They were bred to be people-oriented, not so much as pretty, back in The Day. For example, our first homebred (my young mare, Beevy) is my pride and joy. From day one, I exposed her to EVERYTHING I could find: clippers, plastic bags, bottles, cones, rough terrain, loud noises, EVERYTHING. You know what? I can literally do anything with that girl I want. Now, the funny part is that my dad and mom don't like handling her because she's "spooky." No, she's not spooky, she just knows you let her get away with it! Problem is that I can't help my parents because as soon as Beevy knows I'm there, she's little Miss I've-Seen-Everything-And-Nothing-Is-Scary! [Roll Eyes]

So, my advice is to bond and then get right down to the nitty-gritty. Arabs love to work -- haven't found one yet that didn't, though I'm sure there might be some out there. The more in-charge you are (without getting abusive, of course), the more they'll learn to let YOU decide when is the time to panic. [Wink]

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and stay safe! [smile]

I'll echo nearly everything on this thread. I've got both extremes -- a couple of our mares, I wouldn't worry if a toddler wandered into their stall around their feet. However, our youngest mare, I could definately give away if she didn't belong to my mom who absolutely babies her to no end! They are incredibly smart -- I like to say, too smart for their own good sometimes. Once they figure you out, you got no place to go, haha!

Also echo the need to bond -- in whatever sense of the word you prefer -- with your horse. This is paramount when working with Arabs. They were bred to be people-oriented, not so much as pretty, back in The Day. For example, our first homebred (my young mare, Beevy) is my pride and joy. From day one, I exposed her to EVERYTHING I could find: clippers, plastic bags, bottles, cones, rough terrain, loud noises, EVERYTHING. You know what? I can literally do anything with that girl I want. Now, the funny part is that my dad and mom don't like handling her because she's "spooky." No, she's not spooky, she just knows you let her get away with it! Problem is that I can't help my parents because as soon as Beevy knows I'm there, she's little Miss I've-Seen-Everything-And-Nothing-Is-Scary! [Roll Eyes]

So, my advice is to bond and then get right down to the nitty-gritty. Arabs love to work -- haven't found one yet that didn't, though I'm sure there might be some out there. The more in-charge you are (without getting abusive, of course), the more they'll learn to let YOU decide when is the time to panic. [Wink]

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and stay safe! [smile]

Rainy, that's a lovely kid you have there. He's one to be proud of!

Rainy, that's a lovely kid you have there. He's one to be proud of!

Rainy, your horse may be the same color, but he has more arabian type and class that mine did.

Look at that pretty neck and head on him! [Not Worthy]

Rainy, your horse may be the same color, but he has more arabian type and class that mine did.

Look at that pretty neck and head on him! [Not Worthy]

At the risk of perpetuating a photo gallery, my three:

-

Teeno aka El Hisan Pasha

-

Geek Prince aka Latif Sadeek (Yes, he's had professional photos done.)

-

Izzy, Ella Bella aka Izzabella Bey (Edited b/c time flies...4 years ago not last year, she is even whiter now. I figure by the time she hits 10 years old, she'll be white.)

Photo credits to Angelika G. of Muletopia Farms.

[ 07-24-2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: MondaesMom ]

At the risk of perpetuating a photo gallery, my three:

-

Teeno aka El Hisan Pasha

-

Geek Prince aka Latif Sadeek (Yes, he's had professional photos done.)

-

Izzy, Ella Bella aka Izzabella Bey (Edited b/c time flies...4 years ago not last year, she is even whiter now. I figure by the time she hits 10 years old, she'll be white.)

Photo credits to Angelika G. of Muletopia Farms.

[ 07-24-2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: MondaesMom ]

I have a 12 yrold arab stallion, he is very sweet and so very calm to handle even around other horses. i just put a spoilt 21month old gelding in with him to babysit! I started him under saddle two weeks ago and he was great. I tried to put a pic of him here but Im still having trouble with mac operating system!

I have a 12 yrold arab stallion, he is very sweet and so very calm to handle even around other horses. i just put a spoilt 21month old gelding in with him to babysit! I started him under saddle two weeks ago and he was great. I tried to put a pic of him here but Im still having trouble with mac operating system!

Im not sure if anyone said this but if your riding him and he does that just get off and lead him through it... maybe it will give him confidence [Jump] ... my 9 year old Arab is a lot more comfortable when I lead her through things in stead of rideing through it [Wink]

Im not sure if anyone said this but if your riding him and he does that just get off and lead him through it... maybe it will give him confidence [Jump] ... my 9 year old Arab is a lot more comfortable when I lead her through things in stead of rideing through it [Wink]

these are the only ones i have of my mare , i took them when i first got my camera.

at night LOL

-

-

html>

these are the only ones i have of my mare , i took them when i first got my camera.

at night LOL

-

-

html>