Sign in to follow this  
BuddyRooShmancyNShy

"Buzz Words" Phrases we use that confuse....

quote:

Originally posted by horsepropertyrealtor:

Ribbelin, I take lessons and use a ton of books/videos. The lessons the trainer watches what I am doing at the time from the ground and makes additions/corrections. The videos/books I learn tons of information not just what we are focusing on at the present time. It helps me ask questions if the trainer doesn't include something in her lessons. She loves my reading/videos and encourages me to do so. My husband has great balance and knows proper saddle position from riding in his youth, however I do not so I take lessons. Anyway, he now wants to train his horse to do reining and is using a variety of trainers videos and is doing fantastic. In a year or so he will go to his first show. One trainer Larry Trocha has a video series and recently a 17yr old boy bought a 2 yr old stallion who was green broke. He used only the Larry Trocha tapes and just went to his first show and won 1st in two classes and took home over $9000
[big Grin]
So, keep up the hard work and learning and you too can go to the shows one day. Plus, I have learned that going to both local and registry shows you can always ask the judge for suggestions and they will help you so you know how to learn and improve
[Wink]

Thanks, girl!

It's interesting, because I do get Larry Trocha's newsletters. My husband hates horses, and if Cheyenne weren't a "free" horse, I would not be having one at all. It's ok for him to have had a Big motorcycle or two, but it's not ok for me to have a horse. Husbands! Go figure!

I HAD signed up for 4 lessons with a lady a while back and he had a cow! Said I was not spending HIS money on lessons. If I wanted to learn, I'd have to do it myself. So.....I was very humilated and cancelled my lessons I had signed up for.

All of the people in my saddle club are Trail riders. That's what they do. I really started riding my Mustang last July after several months of ground training...but I never lost my Overwhelming Fear of being injured again until this Past December. The group took us on a 4 hr. trail ride and we encountered such a huge, freaking hill, I had a panic attack. A real one! One of the members ponied my horse up (I always, always carry her lead rope with me) and John took the rope and I held on for dear life to the horn....leaned over so as not to affect Cheyenne's balance and by the Grace of the Good Lord, we made it up.

My panic attack evolved into hyperventilation and they made me get off my horse. They gave me water and made me sit down for a while...and when I had gotten it back together, I realized what a big ninny I had been. I should have trusted my horse more. And you know? It's just like someone switching a light switch. There was no more fear. None.

And it's March now, and when I ride her at the farm where she lives, I have so much fun now. She lopes, I giggle...I am so sure I have no idea what lead she is on....and I laugh at the impending fence coming up in my face. And she has the most awesome brakes! hehe...On her terms. But the point is....I am in no way, scared of her anymore. She has temper tantrums, backs up...and tries to take her head away from me. And yes, there is severe correction for these behaviours...but never with Pain...I do not hit my horse...

And Dan, just laughs at ME for laughing. I giggle. My horse is 4. And for not knowing exactly what I am doing, I guess we are doing okie dokie. I love this board, and have so many people help me, escpecially BuddyRoo. I will be going with the club in July to near Taos, New Mexico. That is when I am going to need prayers.

It will be my first time towing a horse....EVER! And riding in the mountains? Or, dear Lord, I hope God watches over me. But I'm a 53 year old nut who has discovered life and happiness and how to Cowgirl up!

Bless you all!

Coral

quote:

Originally posted by horsepropertyrealtor:

Ribbelin, I take lessons and use a ton of books/videos. The lessons the trainer watches what I am doing at the time from the ground and makes additions/corrections. The videos/books I learn tons of information not just what we are focusing on at the present time. It helps me ask questions if the trainer doesn't include something in her lessons. She loves my reading/videos and encourages me to do so. My husband has great balance and knows proper saddle position from riding in his youth, however I do not so I take lessons. Anyway, he now wants to train his horse to do reining and is using a variety of trainers videos and is doing fantastic. In a year or so he will go to his first show. One trainer Larry Trocha has a video series and recently a 17yr old boy bought a 2 yr old stallion who was green broke. He used only the Larry Trocha tapes and just went to his first show and won 1st in two classes and took home over $9000
[big Grin]
So, keep up the hard work and learning and you too can go to the shows one day. Plus, I have learned that going to both local and registry shows you can always ask the judge for suggestions and they will help you so you know how to learn and improve
[Wink]

Thanks, girl!

It's interesting, because I do get Larry Trocha's newsletters. My husband hates horses, and if Cheyenne weren't a "free" horse, I would not be having one at all. It's ok for him to have had a Big motorcycle or two, but it's not ok for me to have a horse. Husbands! Go figure!

I HAD signed up for 4 lessons with a lady a while back and he had a cow! Said I was not spending HIS money on lessons. If I wanted to learn, I'd have to do it myself. So.....I was very humilated and cancelled my lessons I had signed up for.

All of the people in my saddle club are Trail riders. That's what they do. I really started riding my Mustang last July after several months of ground training...but I never lost my Overwhelming Fear of being injured again until this Past December. The group took us on a 4 hr. trail ride and we encountered such a huge, freaking hill, I had a panic attack. A real one! One of the members ponied my horse up (I always, always carry her lead rope with me) and John took the rope and I held on for dear life to the horn....leaned over so as not to affect Cheyenne's balance and by the Grace of the Good Lord, we made it up.

My panic attack evolved into hyperventilation and they made me get off my horse. They gave me water and made me sit down for a while...and when I had gotten it back together, I realized what a big ninny I had been. I should have trusted my horse more. And you know? It's just like someone switching a light switch. There was no more fear. None.

And it's March now, and when I ride her at the farm where she lives, I have so much fun now. She lopes, I giggle...I am so sure I have no idea what lead she is on....and I laugh at the impending fence coming up in my face. And she has the most awesome brakes! hehe...On her terms. But the point is....I am in no way, scared of her anymore. She has temper tantrums, backs up...and tries to take her head away from me. And yes, there is severe correction for these behaviours...but never with Pain...I do not hit my horse...

And Dan, just laughs at ME for laughing. I giggle. My horse is 4. And for not knowing exactly what I am doing, I guess we are doing okie dokie. I love this board, and have so many people help me, escpecially BuddyRoo. I will be going with the club in July to near Taos, New Mexico. That is when I am going to need prayers.

It will be my first time towing a horse....EVER! And riding in the mountains? Or, dear Lord, I hope God watches over me. But I'm a 53 year old nut who has discovered life and happiness and how to Cowgirl up!

Bless you all!

Coral

Oh my goodness Buddy, this is sooooo funny! If I had more time I could probably think of some specific terms, but I know when I first became a horse owner, I thought everyone was talking in some kind of CODE LANGUAGE. I couldn't understand a word of it.

Honestly I went a full year without understanding what "groundwork" was. [Embarrassed]

It took me going to a CA tour stop to understand "disengage the front end". [Embarrassed][Eek!]

Short funny story: my niece wanted to ride my mare, so I was warming her up and basically just getting her tuned in to me and paying attention. She kept biting at her side like the girth was bothering her or something. I kept saying "I wonder if her tack is bothering her" and my mother-in-law thought I meant that there was (drumroll please)

A TACK UNDER HER SADDLE

[ROTFL][ROTFL][Wink]

[ 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Forever in Blue Genes ]

Oh my goodness Buddy, this is sooooo funny! If I had more time I could probably think of some specific terms, but I know when I first became a horse owner, I thought everyone was talking in some kind of CODE LANGUAGE. I couldn't understand a word of it.

Honestly I went a full year without understanding what "groundwork" was. [Embarrassed]

It took me going to a CA tour stop to understand "disengage the front end". [Embarrassed][Eek!]

Short funny story: my niece wanted to ride my mare, so I was warming her up and basically just getting her tuned in to me and paying attention. She kept biting at her side like the girth was bothering her or something. I kept saying "I wonder if her tack is bothering her" and my mother-in-law thought I meant that there was (drumroll please)

A TACK UNDER HER SADDLE

[ROTFL][ROTFL][Wink]

[ 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Forever in Blue Genes ]

Packer: Packs the kids around without the kid having to really ride.

Push Button: Easy to ride, and will go around without any real rider effort.

Big Step: Horse has a large stride

Daisey Cutter: Horse has a flat knee movement, and is considered to be a 'good' mover.

Paddler: Horse throws his front feet outward while moving.

Choppy: Horse has short ridged steps and is uncomfortable to ride.

Packer: Packs the kids around without the kid having to really ride.

Push Button: Easy to ride, and will go around without any real rider effort.

Big Step: Horse has a large stride

Daisey Cutter: Horse has a flat knee movement, and is considered to be a 'good' mover.

Paddler: Horse throws his front feet outward while moving.

Choppy: Horse has short ridged steps and is uncomfortable to ride.

An old man that used to live near here had a mule team and went on a lot of wagon train drives. I walked up to one of his mules one day and he said "Look out little lady. He's a telephone mule." I said "A what?" "You know! A mule that likes to reach out and touch someone." His name for a kicker. The old guy just sat back and laughed.

Oh Yeh! and one you here around here all of the time is a 'cold backed' horse. Some dudes actually think that means they need an extra blanket 'cuse they're cold. Oops!

[ 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Cheri Wolfe ]

An old man that used to live near here had a mule team and went on a lot of wagon train drives. I walked up to one of his mules one day and he said "Look out little lady. He's a telephone mule." I said "A what?" "You know! A mule that likes to reach out and touch someone." His name for a kicker. The old guy just sat back and laughed.

Oh Yeh! and one you here around here all of the time is a 'cold backed' horse. Some dudes actually think that means they need an extra blanket 'cuse they're cold. Oops!

[ 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Cheri Wolfe ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pamela:

Packer:

So THAT'S what that means! [Duh]

Oh, by the way, this is Wild Rose. I'm on my son's computer (I'm babysitting), and dang it, I can't remember my password! But I did remember my old user name and password.

quote:

Originally posted by Pamela:

Packer:

So THAT'S what that means! [Duh]

Oh, by the way, this is Wild Rose. I'm on my son's computer (I'm babysitting), and dang it, I can't remember my password! But I did remember my old user name and password.

The two words that got me when I started reining were:

In the bridle: I thought it meant a horse that wasn't in a hackamore. It really is a horse in a leverage bit.

Turn Around: Yup, I thought it meant to turn, not to spin. It really stumped me.

The two words that got me when I started reining were:

In the bridle: I thought it meant a horse that wasn't in a hackamore. It really is a horse in a leverage bit.

Turn Around: Yup, I thought it meant to turn, not to spin. It really stumped me.

I remember my first Western Pleasure show. The announcer said "Reverse" and I backed my horse up. And this was not as a child, I did this less than 2 years ago. [Roll Eyes]

I remember my first Western Pleasure show. The announcer said "Reverse" and I backed my horse up. And this was not as a child, I did this less than 2 years ago. [Roll Eyes]

These are great!

"Long" 2 year old - neighbor thought "a long horse?" I had to explain, no, almost 3 years old.

"2 point position" and "hand gallop" in the show ring, some of the kids had never heard the terms.

These are great!

"Long" 2 year old - neighbor thought "a long horse?" I had to explain, no, almost 3 years old.

"2 point position" and "hand gallop" in the show ring, some of the kids had never heard the terms.

I've been asked "how do you tune up a horse? they don't have spark plugs do they?" and I once had a hard time explaining to someone what a "catty horse" was.

I've been asked "how do you tune up a horse? they don't have spark plugs do they?" and I once had a hard time explaining to someone what a "catty horse" was.

OK,OK,OK

NOW I KNOW THERE IS HORSE TERMS THAT DECRIBE EASY KEEPERS.i know i read that in a book how to mesure a horse if it a easy keeper or not.and not by the ton of hay & grain you got around a barn lol. i found it in a book 30 yrs ago and dang it i just cant remember what or how you do that. it would be kinda nice to know if your gettin a new horse or not. i would think anyway. so c;mon fellow hc,ers and help me out ok.

OK,OK,OK

NOW I KNOW THERE IS HORSE TERMS THAT DECRIBE EASY KEEPERS.i know i read that in a book how to mesure a horse if it a easy keeper or not.and not by the ton of hay & grain you got around a barn lol. i found it in a book 30 yrs ago and dang it i just cant remember what or how you do that. it would be kinda nice to know if your gettin a new horse or not. i would think anyway. so c;mon fellow hc,ers and help me out ok.

I just had one of these tonight. Only I was the one that did the confusing! I was looking at a rope horse and I asked how he rated the steer. She asked if I wanted like "on a scale of 1 to 10?"

It was e-mail so I just laughed. I told her that when the steer comes out of the box, if the steer goes slow, does the horse go slow? If the steer goes fast, does the horse speed up? I had to explain it! But after I thought about it, it probably is kind of a confusing concept.

I actually didn't know what it was myself until I heard barrel racers talking about it. I had to ask what it was too!

I just had one of these tonight. Only I was the one that did the confusing! I was looking at a rope horse and I asked how he rated the steer. She asked if I wanted like "on a scale of 1 to 10?"

It was e-mail so I just laughed. I told her that when the steer comes out of the box, if the steer goes slow, does the horse go slow? If the steer goes fast, does the horse speed up? I had to explain it! But after I thought about it, it probably is kind of a confusing concept.

I actually didn't know what it was myself until I heard barrel racers talking about it. I had to ask what it was too!

Just alittle tid bit. Can allways tell a greeny when they say...... OUT of such and such a stud BY such and such a mare. Since when does a colt come OUT of a stud ???????????????

Just alittle tid bit. Can allways tell a greeny when they say...... OUT of such and such a stud BY such and such a mare. Since when does a colt come OUT of a stud ???????????????

This one didn't make me scratch my head but when I use the term, lots of other folks scratch their heads and give me wild eyed looks.

Humpin up or Humpy- When I say this it means the horse is most likly going to try and buck, crow hop or otherwise play rodeo. Got this term from my dad. I had people ask me if that ment the horse was going to 'hump' something like a dog will your leg. [ROTFL][Eek!]

plow rein - another term people give me googled eyed looks over. One lady said 'but I don't own any plow reins, do I need to buy a harness?' [Eek!]

This is a funny thread. Keep them coming, I may think of more LOL

This one didn't make me scratch my head but when I use the term, lots of other folks scratch their heads and give me wild eyed looks.

Humpin up or Humpy- When I say this it means the horse is most likly going to try and buck, crow hop or otherwise play rodeo. Got this term from my dad. I had people ask me if that ment the horse was going to 'hump' something like a dog will your leg. [ROTFL][Eek!]

plow rein - another term people give me googled eyed looks over. One lady said 'but I don't own any plow reins, do I need to buy a harness?' [Eek!]

This is a funny thread. Keep them coming, I may think of more LOL

How about:

Jughead - A horse with a VERY big head

Dink - An ugly horse with terrible conformation

"the horse needs alot of miles" (not at one time)

Hay Burner

How about:

Jughead - A horse with a VERY big head

Dink - An ugly horse with terrible conformation

"the horse needs alot of miles" (not at one time)

Hay Burner