Sign in to follow this  
BuddyRooShmancyNShy

"Buzz Words" Phrases we use that confuse....

This post was inspired by the post asking about "getting a horse on top of the bit"....

It seems like there are a lot of words and phrases "those in the know" use to describe concepts related to horses. Unfortunately, unless you're in the company of a good "teacher", these phrases are often thrown out with very little explanation. And they aren't always "easy" concepts!

So.....post the buzz word or phrase you've heard that made you scratch your head once upon a time....

One that I'd never heard til I joined HC was "wet saddle blankets". I had always heard that your horse "needed some miles"...but never wet saddle blankets. Felt like kind of an idiot at first because I'd read these posts about naughty horses that just needed some good miles and people would say, "He needs some wet saddle blankets." I thought, "Man, what the heck good is a wet blanket gonna do? He's sacked out...he just needs some miles!!!" [big Grin]

This post was inspired by the post asking about "getting a horse on top of the bit"....

It seems like there are a lot of words and phrases "those in the know" use to describe concepts related to horses. Unfortunately, unless you're in the company of a good "teacher", these phrases are often thrown out with very little explanation. And they aren't always "easy" concepts!

So.....post the buzz word or phrase you've heard that made you scratch your head once upon a time....

One that I'd never heard til I joined HC was "wet saddle blankets". I had always heard that your horse "needed some miles"...but never wet saddle blankets. Felt like kind of an idiot at first because I'd read these posts about naughty horses that just needed some good miles and people would say, "He needs some wet saddle blankets." I thought, "Man, what the heck good is a wet blanket gonna do? He's sacked out...he just needs some miles!!!" [big Grin]

Are we just supposed to say phrases that might confuse people?

Getting a horse "between your legs"

"In front of your legs"

"On the bit"

Are we just supposed to say phrases that might confuse people?

Getting a horse "between your legs"

"In front of your legs"

"On the bit"

Ribellin...on the post I referenced about "on the bit", I kind of explained colleciton...but here ya go.....

In general:

Collection is sometimes interchangeable with "frame". All it really means is that your horse is driving from behind...using that hind end as the "motor", rounding his back (her in your case), reaching those hind legs under. Then when the back is rounded, the neck arches a bit with the spine, your horse breaks at the poll, and you apply contact and keep the horse on the bit--which is quite simply--like a good hand shake. You keep contact with a gentle give/take and the horse does the same.

Collection quite simply is that you've got the power under you and you are holding it...with your legs and seat you are driving that hind forward and keeping the horse in the middle, and your hands are regulating the contact.....so if you think of your horse as a spring...a collected horse is a coiled spring...compact, lots of power, all well under control.

You'll see alot of horses who "pull" themselves along with thr front. You can tell in pictures because the front is sinewy muscle and the hind is dragging out behind the motion. In a collected horse, the hind end is doing the work...the front is just for balance.

Ribellin...on the post I referenced about "on the bit", I kind of explained colleciton...but here ya go.....

In general:

Collection is sometimes interchangeable with "frame". All it really means is that your horse is driving from behind...using that hind end as the "motor", rounding his back (her in your case), reaching those hind legs under. Then when the back is rounded, the neck arches a bit with the spine, your horse breaks at the poll, and you apply contact and keep the horse on the bit--which is quite simply--like a good hand shake. You keep contact with a gentle give/take and the horse does the same.

Collection quite simply is that you've got the power under you and you are holding it...with your legs and seat you are driving that hind forward and keeping the horse in the middle, and your hands are regulating the contact.....so if you think of your horse as a spring...a collected horse is a coiled spring...compact, lots of power, all well under control.

You'll see alot of horses who "pull" themselves along with thr front. You can tell in pictures because the front is sinewy muscle and the hind is dragging out behind the motion. In a collected horse, the hind end is doing the work...the front is just for balance.

Thanks, BRoo.....I still need lessons for some things. We have learned how to lope. I'm not doing it very well, though. And she has Brakes ...on her terms. I keep thinking she'll read the section of the book about "collection" and learn how to Whoa like the Reiners I see on TV.

You know...For the year I have had her, she's not doing too bad, but geez, there is still so much for her to learn and I'm only doing this still by videos...tv...books and magazines. I can't afford lessons and my husband wouldn't allow it anyway..So I do it all myself. Let's just say we'll never make it to the Western pleasure cirtuit.

I just ordered two new CD's of Clinton Anderson's. I study constantly it seems. The one thing I can say about my horse is ...she IS respectful. She's not yet 5. She never runs from me. She stands still, ground ties....for me to groom and saddle her. She's a good little Mustang. Thanks, Girl, for your help and explanation. Now come to Texas and Help me! hehe... [Huggy]

Thanks, BRoo.....I still need lessons for some things. We have learned how to lope. I'm not doing it very well, though. And she has Brakes ...on her terms. I keep thinking she'll read the section of the book about "collection" and learn how to Whoa like the Reiners I see on TV.

You know...For the year I have had her, she's not doing too bad, but geez, there is still so much for her to learn and I'm only doing this still by videos...tv...books and magazines. I can't afford lessons and my husband wouldn't allow it anyway..So I do it all myself. Let's just say we'll never make it to the Western pleasure cirtuit.

I just ordered two new CD's of Clinton Anderson's. I study constantly it seems. The one thing I can say about my horse is ...she IS respectful. She's not yet 5. She never runs from me. She stands still, ground ties....for me to groom and saddle her. She's a good little Mustang. Thanks, Girl, for your help and explanation. Now come to Texas and Help me! hehe... [Huggy]

Fixen to lay down....

....I have watched many people look over shoulder and say whaaat! When their horse is pawing in the creek then proceeds to lay down.

For the life of me I am confused with what people hear and think when spoken to [shocked]

Fixen to lay down....

....I have watched many people look over shoulder and say whaaat! When their horse is pawing in the creek then proceeds to lay down.

For the life of me I am confused with what people hear and think when spoken to [shocked]

quote:

Fixen to lay down....

[big Grin] I had someone yell that to me one time when my horse was pawing in the creek. The thing is, he didn't lay down (I knew he wasn't going to), he was just having fun. There is a difference in the feel of the horse's back when they are actually going to try to lay down. Pawing doesn't always lead to it. But, if you're not sensitive enough to feel that subtle difference in their back, then either move your horse or get ready to go down [Wink] .

quote:

Fixen to lay down....

[big Grin] I had someone yell that to me one time when my horse was pawing in the creek. The thing is, he didn't lay down (I knew he wasn't going to), he was just having fun. There is a difference in the feel of the horse's back when they are actually going to try to lay down. Pawing doesn't always lead to it. But, if you're not sensitive enough to feel that subtle difference in their back, then either move your horse or get ready to go down [Wink] .

"gettin' light on the front end"

I was watching a friend one day with her horse and he was popping up on the front end when he didn't want to do something, just trying to scare her off of him. When she got done riding, I said, "You need to work his butt hard when he gets light on the front end" She nodded and walked away.

A week later, she called me and asked, "Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?" [ROTFL]

"gettin' light on the front end"

I was watching a friend one day with her horse and he was popping up on the front end when he didn't want to do something, just trying to scare her off of him. When she got done riding, I said, "You need to work his butt hard when he gets light on the front end" She nodded and walked away.

A week later, she called me and asked, "Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?" [ROTFL]

Ribbelin, I take lessons and use a ton of books/videos. The lessons the trainer watches what I am doing at the time from the ground and makes additions/corrections. The videos/books I learn tons of information not just what we are focusing on at the present time. It helps me ask questions if the trainer doesn't include something in her lessons. She loves my reading/videos and encourages me to do so. My husband has great balance and knows proper saddle position from riding in his youth, however I do not so I take lessons. Anyway, he now wants to train his horse to do reining and is using a variety of trainers videos and is doing fantastic. In a year or so he will go to his first show. One trainer Larry Trocha has a video series and recently a 17yr old boy bought a 2 yr old stallion who was green broke. He used only the Larry Trocha tapes and just went to his first show and won 1st in two classes and took home over $9000 [big Grin] So, keep up the hard work and learning and you too can go to the shows one day. Plus, I have learned that going to both local and registry shows you can always ask the judge for suggestions and they will help you so you know how to learn and improve [Wink]

Ribbelin, I take lessons and use a ton of books/videos. The lessons the trainer watches what I am doing at the time from the ground and makes additions/corrections. The videos/books I learn tons of information not just what we are focusing on at the present time. It helps me ask questions if the trainer doesn't include something in her lessons. She loves my reading/videos and encourages me to do so. My husband has great balance and knows proper saddle position from riding in his youth, however I do not so I take lessons. Anyway, he now wants to train his horse to do reining and is using a variety of trainers videos and is doing fantastic. In a year or so he will go to his first show. One trainer Larry Trocha has a video series and recently a 17yr old boy bought a 2 yr old stallion who was green broke. He used only the Larry Trocha tapes and just went to his first show and won 1st in two classes and took home over $9000 [big Grin] So, keep up the hard work and learning and you too can go to the shows one day. Plus, I have learned that going to both local and registry shows you can always ask the judge for suggestions and they will help you so you know how to learn and improve [Wink]

quote:

A week later, she called me and asked, "Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?"

[Eek!]

quote:

A week later, she called me and asked, "Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?"

[Eek!]

I'll admit the 'wet saddle blanket' one was new to me when I joined HC. I wondered what the heck wetting a saddle blanket was going to do to help [Crazy]

Gimpy...I know it's not only horse related, but that was one word that I learned at the horse barn I worked at. They would say 'That horse is gimpy'...me, having no clue, would think...'Gimpy? I don't know about that, but he is lame on that back right' [Duh] Good thing I'm the type that keeps those kind of thoughts to myself, they would have had a ball with me. [Embarrassed]

I'll admit the 'wet saddle blanket' one was new to me when I joined HC. I wondered what the heck wetting a saddle blanket was going to do to help [Crazy]

Gimpy...I know it's not only horse related, but that was one word that I learned at the horse barn I worked at. They would say 'That horse is gimpy'...me, having no clue, would think...'Gimpy? I don't know about that, but he is lame on that back right' [Duh] Good thing I'm the type that keeps those kind of thoughts to myself, they would have had a ball with me. [Embarrassed]

quote:

"Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?"

[ROTFL]

Buzzwords? I will try to remember some but let me just say that in the begining,..when I first came on here,.. virtually EVERYTHING that Qtrflash said I was like "HUH?"

She had a way of saying things that I needed a decoder to follow!LOL

The whole "poptarts" thing was lost on me!

Shelley

quote:

"Is there something I can feed him so he is not light on the front end rather than working him?"

[ROTFL]

Buzzwords? I will try to remember some but let me just say that in the begining,..when I first came on here,.. virtually EVERYTHING that Qtrflash said I was like "HUH?"

She had a way of saying things that I needed a decoder to follow!LOL

The whole "poptarts" thing was lost on me!

Shelley

ok fellow hc'ers. dont laugh,but maybe you heard of it.easy keepers -or- hard keepers.

easy keepers--put hand on hip bone to last rib should be at least 4 fingers

hard keepers---well

[ 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: sweets4me ]

ok fellow hc'ers. dont laugh,but maybe you heard of it.easy keepers -or- hard keepers.

easy keepers--put hand on hip bone to last rib should be at least 4 fingers

hard keepers---well

[ 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: sweets4me ]

Sweets? What?

Easy keeper--doesn't need much feed...usually means "I got me a fatty and I'm starving her!" (I have one of those...she's IR)

Hard keeper--usually means "My OTTB is eating me out of house and home and I'm feeding him truckfulls of hay and grain!"

Sweets? What?

Easy keeper--doesn't need much feed...usually means "I got me a fatty and I'm starving her!" (I have one of those...she's IR)

Hard keeper--usually means "My OTTB is eating me out of house and home and I'm feeding him truckfulls of hay and grain!"