Sign in to follow this  
GreyHorse

GP riding Piper... vids on p. 7

LOL... You guys are all too kind. Thanks for the encouragement.

Piper got the day off, and I have this weekend off, so there won't be nothing till Monday. Should be interesting how she does...

Hopefully, she'll just ride off like a good girl. I don't like riding them tired, and I'd rather have her on a regular rest rotation.

[ 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: GreyHorse ]

LOL... You guys are all too kind. Thanks for the encouragement.

Piper got the day off, and I have this weekend off, so there won't be nothing till Monday. Should be interesting how she does...

Hopefully, she'll just ride off like a good girl. I don't like riding them tired, and I'd rather have her on a regular rest rotation.

[ 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: GreyHorse ]

No and yes...

Remember, she's had 3 days off.

I got ready to get on this morning, and just so happened to be in a tight area. Now, she's never given me any trouble getting on. But you could just see the little wheels turning in her head...

"If I turn just enough when she has her foot in the stirrup, I can get next to this fence, and ... a little closer, a little closer... Bingo! She can't throw her leg over now."

I could just hear the thought process going on.

"Ok, now she's gotta lead me away from this and then try again. And then I can just move around for a while and maybe I can get up next to the fence again... or maybe one of the pickups. Yeah, they'll work too."

I thought I better stop that train of thought in it's tracks. so I never lead her away from the fence and got in her face, HARD.

That pissed her off. LOL!!!

You should've seen the look on her face. I swear she decided to buck right then and there. I took the stirrup, swung aboard, and the saddle slipped just a little cause of my loose cinch. She curled up to do something stupid, but I had to shift the saddle. And that threw her for a loop. She didn't know what to do, now. LOL! I had a holt of the inside rein, and let her take a few steps while I shifted the saddle.

We rode off to move a few pens first, and the fight was on.

But she has a very solid respect for my spurs now, and didn't really wanna argue w/ them very much.

That didn't keep her from slamming me into a few gates right off the bat.

Then we got into the first pen to move the cows out, and she says "Oh yay!!! I LOVE moving cows!!!"

And she was right there. I mean a 1/4 of an inch with me. The slightest leg moved her over just so much, the easiest tug stopped her and the sweetest shift in weight sent her forward.

Till...

We went to checking pens. Then she figured out that if she stays just out of reach of the handle, I have to move her, which gives her the opportunity to jack around. We checked 17 pens afore we finally got on the same page. I didn't have to pull any myself, but I helped my partner pull some, and of course, she was an angel for that.

We resolved the gate issue by me just having a longer rubber arm. I patienced my way thru it. And she come out of it w/ a little more control as we manuever thru them.

She did figure out how to get those fats up... If we ride by one that just won't get up for us, I just circle her around, and she sticks her nose in his face and *****es at him till he gets up. Some see those laid back ears and get up right away, but a few she has to nudge to their feet.

She also figured out how to hustle the sick ones along that we pull and then have to move to the hospital. She knows to stay right behind them and nip them a little now and again. "Sick'em Lucky!"

We did some odds and ends type of afternoon work, and then had to sort two pens that were mixed. My partner Bruce just so happened to be riding a horse that don't handle that kind of stuff real well. So guess who got to do all the sorting.

She was perfect. Slow when she needed to be, fast when that was needed, and tired enough to listen to me.

All in all, I liked her at the end of the day. Even tho it started out so ruff.

I can just hear what you are thinking, Goldpiper...

Why is she being so bad?

There is a clash of wills going on here, and she's run up against the strongest will she's seen yet. She is defending her top spot in the pecking order at all costs.

How important is it to her? Read this page about the pecking order.

Don't worry, I like her a lot, she's a neat horse. But I just won't allow her to jack me around. And sometimes I don't have the opportunity to let her blow off steam. When I get aboard, she had better get w/ the program. Eventually, she'll yield her top dog spot and settle below me.

One thing that I can tell you from experience... Horses like this, that seem like you do nothing but fight w/ them, end up usually being the most loving horses when they do come around. And once they have your back, you got a lot of horse on your side.

No and yes...

Remember, she's had 3 days off.

I got ready to get on this morning, and just so happened to be in a tight area. Now, she's never given me any trouble getting on. But you could just see the little wheels turning in her head...

"If I turn just enough when she has her foot in the stirrup, I can get next to this fence, and ... a little closer, a little closer... Bingo! She can't throw her leg over now."

I could just hear the thought process going on.

"Ok, now she's gotta lead me away from this and then try again. And then I can just move around for a while and maybe I can get up next to the fence again... or maybe one of the pickups. Yeah, they'll work too."

I thought I better stop that train of thought in it's tracks. so I never lead her away from the fence and got in her face, HARD.

That pissed her off. LOL!!!

You should've seen the look on her face. I swear she decided to buck right then and there. I took the stirrup, swung aboard, and the saddle slipped just a little cause of my loose cinch. She curled up to do something stupid, but I had to shift the saddle. And that threw her for a loop. She didn't know what to do, now. LOL! I had a holt of the inside rein, and let her take a few steps while I shifted the saddle.

We rode off to move a few pens first, and the fight was on.

But she has a very solid respect for my spurs now, and didn't really wanna argue w/ them very much.

That didn't keep her from slamming me into a few gates right off the bat.

Then we got into the first pen to move the cows out, and she says "Oh yay!!! I LOVE moving cows!!!"

And she was right there. I mean a 1/4 of an inch with me. The slightest leg moved her over just so much, the easiest tug stopped her and the sweetest shift in weight sent her forward.

Till...

We went to checking pens. Then she figured out that if she stays just out of reach of the handle, I have to move her, which gives her the opportunity to jack around. We checked 17 pens afore we finally got on the same page. I didn't have to pull any myself, but I helped my partner pull some, and of course, she was an angel for that.

We resolved the gate issue by me just having a longer rubber arm. I patienced my way thru it. And she come out of it w/ a little more control as we manuever thru them.

She did figure out how to get those fats up... If we ride by one that just won't get up for us, I just circle her around, and she sticks her nose in his face and *****es at him till he gets up. Some see those laid back ears and get up right away, but a few she has to nudge to their feet.

She also figured out how to hustle the sick ones along that we pull and then have to move to the hospital. She knows to stay right behind them and nip them a little now and again. "Sick'em Lucky!"

We did some odds and ends type of afternoon work, and then had to sort two pens that were mixed. My partner Bruce just so happened to be riding a horse that don't handle that kind of stuff real well. So guess who got to do all the sorting.

She was perfect. Slow when she needed to be, fast when that was needed, and tired enough to listen to me.

All in all, I liked her at the end of the day. Even tho it started out so ruff.

I can just hear what you are thinking, Goldpiper...

Why is she being so bad?

There is a clash of wills going on here, and she's run up against the strongest will she's seen yet. She is defending her top spot in the pecking order at all costs.

How important is it to her? Read this page about the pecking order.

Don't worry, I like her a lot, she's a neat horse. But I just won't allow her to jack me around. And sometimes I don't have the opportunity to let her blow off steam. When I get aboard, she had better get w/ the program. Eventually, she'll yield her top dog spot and settle below me.

One thing that I can tell you from experience... Horses like this, that seem like you do nothing but fight w/ them, end up usually being the most loving horses when they do come around. And once they have your back, you got a lot of horse on your side.

Yep, that's her undersaddle. On the ground I had her knowing who was the top of the pecking order, but she had too much time off and now she thinks otherwise.

Yep, that's her undersaddle. On the ground I had her knowing who was the top of the pecking order, but she had too much time off and now she thinks otherwise.

Phew... Good. I sure feel like I'm giving a lot of bad reports here. She'll be fine, but it's gonna be a trip getting to the Fine part.

Some info that didn't fit into the posts the way they were wrote...

The first two days I rode her in a very short shanked snaffle. Goldpiper had her in a longer shanked snaffle, and I wanted the curb she was used to for control. Then I switched her to a FL ring snaffle w/ a caveson. I do eventually wanna work on HOW she does stuff. Yesterday I added a running martingale.

She is on 1/2 a gallon of grain 3x a day.

She's still trotting and loping sideways, but it's getting better. Yesterday I taught her how to sidepass at a trot, which should really help w/ getting her to straighten out when she's pulling "run to the barn" ****.

Matter of fact, yesterday she turned the corner away from the horse pens the first time w/out running backwards or almost ending up in the drainage ditch.

She's leaning on the left rein quite a bit, but I think that one is partially my fault. Direct reining w/ one hand while you are using the other one for stuff is not easy. Sometimes I just don't run enough rein thru my hand. Once she gets more controllable, I'll have more liberty to worry about having my ducks in a row.

Phew... Good. I sure feel like I'm giving a lot of bad reports here. She'll be fine, but it's gonna be a trip getting to the Fine part.

Some info that didn't fit into the posts the way they were wrote...

The first two days I rode her in a very short shanked snaffle. Goldpiper had her in a longer shanked snaffle, and I wanted the curb she was used to for control. Then I switched her to a FL ring snaffle w/ a caveson. I do eventually wanna work on HOW she does stuff. Yesterday I added a running martingale.

She is on 1/2 a gallon of grain 3x a day.

She's still trotting and loping sideways, but it's getting better. Yesterday I taught her how to sidepass at a trot, which should really help w/ getting her to straighten out when she's pulling "run to the barn" ****.

Matter of fact, yesterday she turned the corner away from the horse pens the first time w/out running backwards or almost ending up in the drainage ditch.

She's leaning on the left rein quite a bit, but I think that one is partially my fault. Direct reining w/ one hand while you are using the other one for stuff is not easy. Sometimes I just don't run enough rein thru my hand. Once she gets more controllable, I'll have more liberty to worry about having my ducks in a row.

Backing down an incline to get out of doing what you want her too was a favorite trick of hers. We have a dam that you have ride across to head out of our property, her favorite trick was to start backing down the side towards the electric fence and the water. I always thought I should let her run into, but I also wanted to stay in the saddle to ride another day. On the ground I could get her to do anything and go anywhere but once in the saddle she thought she didn't have to listen.

I am not surprised at some of the stuff she is pulling she does have a stubborn streak. I also tried my darnedest not to let her get away with any of her stuff.

Nothing like a good challenge. [big Grin]

[ 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: goldpiper ]

Backing down an incline to get out of doing what you want her too was a favorite trick of hers. We have a dam that you have ride across to head out of our property, her favorite trick was to start backing down the side towards the electric fence and the water. I always thought I should let her run into, but I also wanted to stay in the saddle to ride another day. On the ground I could get her to do anything and go anywhere but once in the saddle she thought she didn't have to listen.

I am not surprised at some of the stuff she is pulling she does have a stubborn streak. I also tried my darnedest not to let her get away with any of her stuff.

Nothing like a good challenge. [big Grin]

[ 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: goldpiper ]

Greyhorse, this is great reading , and I really wish I lived closer. I could use your help with my boy - although, you are helping me!

Greyhorse, this is great reading , and I really wish I lived closer. I could use your help with my boy - although, you are helping me!

I got on Piper this am, and she stood and waited quietly while everyone else got on their horses.

We went to work and shipped cattle for 3 hours, and she was great. No fight, no fuss... controllable and easy.

Riding pens was no sweat, the gates were fine for her level at this point.

Good as gold.

And I was just thinking that I should take it easy today, and start working on some of the training issues day after tomorrow, when I noticed that she was actually starting to dive on that right rein whenever we had to take a right turn.

Guess the take it easy part wasn't such a good idea after all.

But at least we aren't in an all out battle any more.

And that is actually part of the pecking order battle. Once you reach an agreement, you better push to reinforce that agreement, or else the horse will push to get her spot back.

I got on Piper this am, and she stood and waited quietly while everyone else got on their horses.

We went to work and shipped cattle for 3 hours, and she was great. No fight, no fuss... controllable and easy.

Riding pens was no sweat, the gates were fine for her level at this point.

Good as gold.

And I was just thinking that I should take it easy today, and start working on some of the training issues day after tomorrow, when I noticed that she was actually starting to dive on that right rein whenever we had to take a right turn.

Guess the take it easy part wasn't such a good idea after all.

But at least we aren't in an all out battle any more.

And that is actually part of the pecking order battle. Once you reach an agreement, you better push to reinforce that agreement, or else the horse will push to get her spot back.

LOL... No, not really. Headed for the tub now to warm up.

I did ride Piper yesterday tho, I was just too tired to write about it at nite. It was supposed to be my day off, but another guy called in sick, and asked me to work for him. I like to work extra time, cause I take off early about 3 or 4 afternoons a week.

She did great. No fuss, no fight... Good all the way around.

We had pen moves first thing in the am, and she loves those of course.

There is a set of really tricky gates to pull. They are on rollers, like a barn door and we gotta pull them across the feedalley. Course, that's kinda a hard concept for a horse to grasp. This is the second time that we done them. The first time, she was so new to everything, and I was just trying to keep her headed in the same direction as me, that I rieally don't think she knew what the heck she was doing.

These gates are so heavy that I have to have my horse's strength to move them.

This time, I brought her in close, and started pulling on the gate, clicked her forward, a little leg to keep her close...

She took a good look, understood what was going on, and took my guidance to get the job done.

[Huggy][big Grin]

In the afternoon, we loaded just her into the trailer to have a horse up close in case we needed one. We were doing some spot checking on the newer cattle, getting ready for the weather to come in.

She stood and worried in the trailer, then I jumped her out and had to pull 8 head. And she did great. Took a look around, got her bearings and went to work.

BTW, GP, Thanks for teaching her to stand by a mounting block. I had to climb on the fence to get on her, seeins I was wearing so many clothes, and I was pretty tired.

I started the lateral flexion yesterday, and the left rein dive got better the more she understood how the lateral flexion can help her.

I'll start working on the headset next time I ride her, which will probly be Mon. We're walking pens in this weather. Too cold on the feet, too icey and muddy.

Seems like I now got a horse. Matter of fact, if I give her time to take a look and figure things out, she's right there for me. She likes being part of the game, and I really think that some day she'll be the kind of horse that'll bend over backwards for you.

Don't get me wrong... She'll always be an aggressive horse. And you'll fight the battle over who's riding who quite a bit. But, I think when the chips are down, she'll be the kind of horse that's got your back, a true pardner.

Anyhoo, she's now on full grain ration... 3 gallons a day. We'll see how she handles it.

LOL... No, not really. Headed for the tub now to warm up.

I did ride Piper yesterday tho, I was just too tired to write about it at nite. It was supposed to be my day off, but another guy called in sick, and asked me to work for him. I like to work extra time, cause I take off early about 3 or 4 afternoons a week.

She did great. No fuss, no fight... Good all the way around.

We had pen moves first thing in the am, and she loves those of course.

There is a set of really tricky gates to pull. They are on rollers, like a barn door and we gotta pull them across the feedalley. Course, that's kinda a hard concept for a horse to grasp. This is the second time that we done them. The first time, she was so new to everything, and I was just trying to keep her headed in the same direction as me, that I rieally don't think she knew what the heck she was doing.

These gates are so heavy that I have to have my horse's strength to move them.

This time, I brought her in close, and started pulling on the gate, clicked her forward, a little leg to keep her close...

She took a good look, understood what was going on, and took my guidance to get the job done.

[Huggy][big Grin]

In the afternoon, we loaded just her into the trailer to have a horse up close in case we needed one. We were doing some spot checking on the newer cattle, getting ready for the weather to come in.

She stood and worried in the trailer, then I jumped her out and had to pull 8 head. And she did great. Took a look around, got her bearings and went to work.

BTW, GP, Thanks for teaching her to stand by a mounting block. I had to climb on the fence to get on her, seeins I was wearing so many clothes, and I was pretty tired.

I started the lateral flexion yesterday, and the left rein dive got better the more she understood how the lateral flexion can help her.

I'll start working on the headset next time I ride her, which will probly be Mon. We're walking pens in this weather. Too cold on the feet, too icey and muddy.

Seems like I now got a horse. Matter of fact, if I give her time to take a look and figure things out, she's right there for me. She likes being part of the game, and I really think that some day she'll be the kind of horse that'll bend over backwards for you.

Don't get me wrong... She'll always be an aggressive horse. And you'll fight the battle over who's riding who quite a bit. But, I think when the chips are down, she'll be the kind of horse that's got your back, a true pardner.

Anyhoo, she's now on full grain ration... 3 gallons a day. We'll see how she handles it.