Sign in to follow this  
GreyHorse

GP riding Piper... vids on p. 7

The first vid I want to comment on is the 3rd one... The one where GP's doing some lope circles.

Kudos for swapping directions when Piper was on the wrong lead. Smart move.

Kudos for stepping right back into the lope after the slip.

Kudos for figuring out very fast how much guidance Piper needs during the lope. Very well done.

Piper emailed me saying she was out of practice loping. But part of that is Piper's fault and another part of it is my fault.

Piper has a very high hindend. She will never be a rocking chair loper. And seeins she had a new rider on top, she was really wondering how to balance and how to deal. At those times, her hindend tends to get stiff. Which makes her lope even more uncomfy. She's not an easy horse to sit in the lope.

Then part of the time she was on the wrong lead, and even in a cross canter. Ugh. No chance in the world either one of those were easy to sit.

A proof of GP's good balance and easy riding is how easily Piper managed the flying change.

And that is just the horse she is. When she's w/ your program and she sees a problem, she'll do her best to solve the problem.

"I think I need to be on the other lead... yeah, like that."

The other part of GP's loping woes is me. GP told me she hadn't loped her in a long time. So I hear "I'm scared to lope her". Not unusual, Piper is a lot of horse.

So when I let her learn to lope, I installed a signal in her that would hide the fact that GP might be a little timid at the lope.

Lots of folks, dealing w/ the lope for the first time, give the lope signal and immediately step on the brakes when they feel that huge motion.

Lots of horses hearing that little bit of timidness, say "Ahah!!! That's my exit."

Things can get pretty bad from there.

So I let her step into the lope and immediately checked the reins on the first step every time. Like stepping on the brakes is normal. LOL...

And it backfired on me, big time. Cause I told GP her horse likes to lope and GP said "Otay". No scaredy cat brakes, not tightness, nothing.

Really, GP, the least you could do is be a widdle bit scared. This blowing your poor horse trainers mind again and again is just plain... WRONG. C'mon now, Act your age once in a while. A little timidness, a little distrust, a little fear of falling... Any one of those would be nice when you get on a new horse.

The first vid I want to comment on is the 3rd one... The one where GP's doing some lope circles.

Kudos for swapping directions when Piper was on the wrong lead. Smart move.

Kudos for stepping right back into the lope after the slip.

Kudos for figuring out very fast how much guidance Piper needs during the lope. Very well done.

Piper emailed me saying she was out of practice loping. But part of that is Piper's fault and another part of it is my fault.

Piper has a very high hindend. She will never be a rocking chair loper. And seeins she had a new rider on top, she was really wondering how to balance and how to deal. At those times, her hindend tends to get stiff. Which makes her lope even more uncomfy. She's not an easy horse to sit in the lope.

Then part of the time she was on the wrong lead, and even in a cross canter. Ugh. No chance in the world either one of those were easy to sit.

A proof of GP's good balance and easy riding is how easily Piper managed the flying change.

And that is just the horse she is. When she's w/ your program and she sees a problem, she'll do her best to solve the problem.

"I think I need to be on the other lead... yeah, like that."

The other part of GP's loping woes is me. GP told me she hadn't loped her in a long time. So I hear "I'm scared to lope her". Not unusual, Piper is a lot of horse.

So when I let her learn to lope, I installed a signal in her that would hide the fact that GP might be a little timid at the lope.

Lots of folks, dealing w/ the lope for the first time, give the lope signal and immediately step on the brakes when they feel that huge motion.

Lots of horses hearing that little bit of timidness, say "Ahah!!! That's my exit."

Things can get pretty bad from there.

So I let her step into the lope and immediately checked the reins on the first step every time. Like stepping on the brakes is normal. LOL...

And it backfired on me, big time. Cause I told GP her horse likes to lope and GP said "Otay". No scaredy cat brakes, not tightness, nothing.

Really, GP, the least you could do is be a widdle bit scared. This blowing your poor horse trainers mind again and again is just plain... WRONG. C'mon now, Act your age once in a while. A little timidness, a little distrust, a little fear of falling... Any one of those would be nice when you get on a new horse.

-

I just tend to be uncertain when they decide to act up. I wish I had the time, and an indoor arena where I could ride year around, but short of winning the lottery; [smile] I'll have to make do.

I also am so used to riding by myself and not having anyone watch, I tend to get a little nervous, but having a horse to control helps me concentrate on something other than being nervous.

What can I say, I can be a nervous nellie at times.

-

-

I just tend to be uncertain when they decide to act up. I wish I had the time, and an indoor arena where I could ride year around, but short of winning the lottery; [smile] I'll have to make do.

I also am so used to riding by myself and not having anyone watch, I tend to get a little nervous, but having a horse to control helps me concentrate on something other than being nervous.

What can I say, I can be a nervous nellie at times.

-

you people letting it "all hang out on video"... [Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

letting people see you figuring things out, riding when you're sick, dealing with a "new horse".....(I know she's not "new" but she has new buttons and she has a new philosophy in life...)

You deserve every bit of respect that everyone has been giving you. [surrender]

Thank you both for sharing so willingly.

you people letting it "all hang out on video"... [Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

letting people see you figuring things out, riding when you're sick, dealing with a "new horse".....(I know she's not "new" but she has new buttons and she has a new philosophy in life...)

You deserve every bit of respect that everyone has been giving you. [surrender]

Just an update.

Friday was super duper nice so I pulled on my rubber boots and collected my riding boots and spurs, then head out the door. Grabbed a halter and lead rope and headed out to the horse pens. Piper was there ready and waiting.

Brushed as much of the mud off and cleaned feet, then threw the saddle pad and saddle on her. Then I decided I had better switch my boots out. As I sat there putting my boots and spurs, I could see her thinking "Would you hurry up, here I am ready and waiting". Nothing like a little pressure.

Got the boots on and down the drive we went without much fuss from her enough though the 4 in the peanut gallery were carrying on, plus the dog because he didn't like being left behind.

We head down the road with just some head swivels but that was it until I decided to stop and check something, and that was when she decided to try and see if I was ready to go home and that didn't work so on down the road we went. We did lot's of slow and fast trotting and a little bit of loping. After about 5 weeks off she did real well.

Saturday afternoon I pulled her out again and we head down the road again. Now the wind was blowing pretty so she was a little more antsy going away from home but she obeyed. We did more walk/trot/lope transitions. She did get a little strong in the lope, not wanting to slow it down, but we did work through it. Although we did hit the nice rocking chair lope.

Thank you GH. She is definitely more a pleasure to ride now that she is not challenging everything.

Just an update.

Friday was super duper nice so I pulled on my rubber boots and collected my riding boots and spurs, then head out the door. Grabbed a halter and lead rope and headed out to the horse pens. Piper was there ready and waiting.

Brushed as much of the mud off and cleaned feet, then threw the saddle pad and saddle on her. Then I decided I had better switch my boots out. As I sat there putting my boots and spurs, I could see her thinking "Would you hurry up, here I am ready and waiting". Nothing like a little pressure.

Got the boots on and down the drive we went without much fuss from her enough though the 4 in the peanut gallery were carrying on, plus the dog because he didn't like being left behind.

We head down the road with just some head swivels but that was it until I decided to stop and check something, and that was when she decided to try and see if I was ready to go home and that didn't work so on down the road we went. We did lot's of slow and fast trotting and a little bit of loping. After about 5 weeks off she did real well.

Saturday afternoon I pulled her out again and we head down the road again. Now the wind was blowing pretty so she was a little more antsy going away from home but she obeyed. We did more walk/trot/lope transitions. She did get a little strong in the lope, not wanting to slow it down, but we did work through it. Although we did hit the nice rocking chair lope.

Thank you GH. She is definitely more a pleasure to ride now that she is not challenging everything.

GP... That is the best news I could hear in a month.

Don't be intimidated by the wind. She's well used to having to work when it's windy... or muddy, or icey, lol, shoot, she knows she's gotta go every time.

But you gotta work on that gawking. It's bad manners, and, knowing Piper, it could eventually turn into some other problem.

I'm off today, taking some business hours to work w/ the bank on the credit card programming for my Online Clinic. Thanks also for alerting me that there was a problem.

My therapy pony went home... after learning how to put down a 6ft sliding stop in the drovers alley. LOL... My buddy Jeff was jealous. He spent the rest of the day trying to show Snowflake and me up on his fine blue mare. "Aw, c'mon now... you know we can't keep up w/ half spins and fast turns."

But she rode w/out a bridle like dream... including those awesome stops.

I'm now riding a grandson to Freckles Playboy and have decided the horse is absolutely wasted in the yard. I got 7 rides on him, and he's spitting cows out into the alley like watermelon seeds.

The owner wants to sell him, and I'm actually trying to do some wheeling and dealing involving about 15 totally innocent bystanders. LOL.

GP... That is the best news I could hear in a month.

Don't be intimidated by the wind. She's well used to having to work when it's windy... or muddy, or icey, lol, shoot, she knows she's gotta go every time.

But you gotta work on that gawking. It's bad manners, and, knowing Piper, it could eventually turn into some other problem.

I'm off today, taking some business hours to work w/ the bank on the credit card programming for my Online Clinic. Thanks also for alerting me that there was a problem.

My therapy pony went home... after learning how to put down a 6ft sliding stop in the drovers alley. LOL... My buddy Jeff was jealous. He spent the rest of the day trying to show Snowflake and me up on his fine blue mare. "Aw, c'mon now... you know we can't keep up w/ half spins and fast turns."

But she rode w/out a bridle like dream... including those awesome stops.

I'm now riding a grandson to Freckles Playboy and have decided the horse is absolutely wasted in the yard. I got 7 rides on him, and he's spitting cows out into the alley like watermelon seeds.

The owner wants to sell him, and I'm actually trying to do some wheeling and dealing involving about 15 totally innocent bystanders. LOL.

I don't let her get away with it. Usually going away is the worst, heading back she's all about going home. LOL

I don't let her get away with it. Usually going away is the worst, heading back she's all about going home. LOL

I too have bells on every saddle. I like the sound, and the horse does too when they get used to it. I use mine to alert the wildlife tho, cause I generally ride by myself.

This is a wonderful thread, I really enjoyed it. I look forward to more GP updates. [big Grin] Ok so whose next? [Wink][big Grin]

I too have bells on every saddle. I like the sound, and the horse does too when they get used to it. I use mine to alert the wildlife tho, cause I generally ride by myself.

This is a wonderful thread, I really enjoyed it. I look forward to more GP updates. [big Grin] Ok so whose next? [Wink][big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by mrs:

you people letting it "all hang out on video"...
[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

You deserve every bit of respect that everyone has been giving you.
[surrender]

Ditto! [Not Worthy]

I used to ride Michico with bells (he hated them passionately, even though I had bells on my saddle for years [Roll Eyes] ) I started that habit when Michico and I, bareback, went by a bear at the side of the trail... it was not more than 4-5 feet to him and he GROWLED really big. [surrender] Thank goodness for dense Florida vegetation along the trail... and an angel for a horse that still was willing to listen and bring me home with him.

quote:

Originally posted by mrs:

you people letting it "all hang out on video"...
[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

You deserve every bit of respect that everyone has been giving you.
[surrender]

Ditto! [Not Worthy]

I used to ride Michico with bells (he hated them passionately, even though I had bells on my saddle for years [Roll Eyes] ) I started that habit when Michico and I, bareback, went by a bear at the side of the trail... it was not more than 4-5 feet to him and he GROWLED really big. [surrender] Thank goodness for dense Florida vegetation along the trail... and an angel for a horse that still was willing to listen and bring me home with him.