Sign in to follow this  
mr_miamis_mom

Best sheath cleaner

One of the beauties of KY is that it's not as important that you rinse it squeaky clean. If you don't have access to a hose, you can do a pretty good job if you just wet your sponge, get it up into the first part of the sheath, and squeeze. Then if you can't get the sponge up higher (it would have to be a pretty small sponge) you can just rinse your hand and repeatedly go up and scout around for leftover crusties and floaties. Once you've gone up there a few times (rinsing your hand in between) you've pretty much got the KY out as much as you're going to.

Good job for a first attempt! [big Grin]

One of the beauties of KY is that it's not as important that you rinse it squeaky clean. If you don't have access to a hose, you can do a pretty good job if you just wet your sponge, get it up into the first part of the sheath, and squeeze. Then if you can't get the sponge up higher (it would have to be a pretty small sponge) you can just rinse your hand and repeatedly go up and scout around for leftover crusties and floaties. Once you've gone up there a few times (rinsing your hand in between) you've pretty much got the KY out as much as you're going to.

Good job for a first attempt! [big Grin]

Ditto ZM in response to the rinsing question. Yes okhorselover, I do it "barehanded" I am allergic to latex, and believe it or not would rather touch "that" than deal with the problems I get from the gloves. As long as you don't have any open cuts or hangnails you won't have a problem.

On a side note, my guy gets VERY dirty. I am noticing that stuff isn't adhering as quickly as it usually does after I clean him. Maybe Excalibur leaves a slight stickiness or something...

Ditto ZM in response to the rinsing question. Yes okhorselover, I do it "barehanded" I am allergic to latex, and believe it or not would rather touch "that" than deal with the problems I get from the gloves. As long as you don't have any open cuts or hangnails you won't have a problem.

On a side note, my guy gets VERY dirty. I am noticing that stuff isn't adhering as quickly as it usually does after I clean him. Maybe Excalibur leaves a slight stickiness or something...

I noticed that someone posted that using KY Jelly may be more expensive than other sheath cleaners. I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com. I'm not sure if that's a deal or not, but if it is, I just wanted to share it. [smile]

I noticed that someone posted that using KY Jelly may be more expensive than other sheath cleaners. I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com. I'm not sure if that's a deal or not, but if it is, I just wanted to share it. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by diablo7579:

I noticed that someone posted that using KY Jelly may be more expensive than other sheath cleaners. I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com. I'm not sure if that's a deal or not, but if it is, I just wanted to share it.
[smile]

I don't know if that's a good price either, but you did remind me of something I wanted to say.

When I did Zephyr's the other day, I only used ... oh ... maybe a squirt as big around as a 50-cent piece? Certainly didn't come close to using even 1/4 of the small tube I had.

A little goes a long way! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by diablo7579:

I noticed that someone posted that using KY Jelly may be more expensive than other sheath cleaners. I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com. I'm not sure if that's a deal or not, but if it is, I just wanted to share it.
[smile]

I don't know if that's a good price either, but you did remind me of something I wanted to say.

When I did Zephyr's the other day, I only used ... oh ... maybe a squirt as big around as a 50-cent piece? Certainly didn't come close to using even 1/4 of the small tube I had.

A little goes a long way! [big Grin]

Problem: My gelding needs to be cleaned, and I'm afraid to go in Walmart and pick up a bottle of KY b/c well...I'm 16 and female...and ppl get the wrong idea?? [big Grin] LOL!!! I'm going to ask my mom to go get it for me or something. [Razz]

Great advice, I have a better idea of how to go about it now, lol, thanks!!

-Emily

Problem: My gelding needs to be cleaned, and I'm afraid to go in Walmart and pick up a bottle of KY b/c well...I'm 16 and female...and ppl get the wrong idea?? [big Grin] LOL!!! I'm going to ask my mom to go get it for me or something. [Razz]

Great advice, I have a better idea of how to go about it now, lol, thanks!!

-Emily

Emily-you could always just say, Its for my horse.... lol. Welcome to horse ownership of geldings. and, my boy won't drop if his life depended on it since he doesn't even drop to piddle, someone might see you know. very bashful, so i've gotten pretty good at finding a bean with it way up there. and i'm spoiled because he'll let me stick a hose up there and just sort of squirt away. but using paper towels works and wringing them out is another way to rinse

Emily-you could always just say, Its for my horse.... lol. Welcome to horse ownership of geldings. and, my boy won't drop if his life depended on it since he doesn't even drop to piddle, someone might see you know. very bashful, so i've gotten pretty good at finding a bean with it way up there. and i'm spoiled because he'll let me stick a hose up there and just sort of squirt away. but using paper towels works and wringing them out is another way to rinse

Let me just say this. I tried to clean my horses seath and i am never going to do it again! It's not that is was gross it was HARD!!!! I think from now on i will leave it to the vet. I think he might sorta know what he is doing lol!

Let me just say this. I tried to clean my horses seath and i am never going to do it again! It's not that is was gross it was HARD!!!! I think from now on i will leave it to the vet. I think he might sorta know what he is doing lol!

quote:

Originally posted by eq_chick89:

... It's not that is was gross it was HARD!!!!

It gets easier with practice. I can't see paying a vet $30 for something I can do myself. Besides, if I do it, it gets done more than just once a year.

quote:

Originally posted by eq_chick89:

... It's not that is was gross it was HARD!!!!

It gets easier with practice. I can't see paying a vet $30 for something I can do myself. Besides, if I do it, it gets done more than just once a year.

Oh eq_chick89 I about died when I read what you just put... [Eek!] be careful with your choice of words when we're on this subject! I thought you meant... it... as opposed to the cleaning job -- GOD FORBID!!! [big Grin]

Oh eq_chick89 I about died when I read what you just put... [Eek!] be careful with your choice of words when we're on this subject! I thought you meant... it... as opposed to the cleaning job -- GOD FORBID!!! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by GimmeATank:

This has got to be the most a) entertaining post on this entire forum and
B)
the most useful!! I never knew that learning to do new things could be so funny!

Oh my, then you must not have been here ofr the water bra discussion in GCC last year!!! What a hoot! Except, well, it wasn't really very edustaional in the traditional sense! [Embarrassed]

quote:

I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com.

Thats about what I pay for the Wal-Mart brand of KY, and no shipping!

[ 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Greenhaven ]

quote:

This has got to be the most a) entertaining post on this entire forum and
B)
the most useful!! I never knew that learning to do new things could be so funny!

Oh my, then you must not have been here ofr the water bra discussion in GCC last year!!! What a hoot! Except, well, it wasn't really very edustaional in the traditional sense! [Embarrassed]

quote:

I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com.

Thats about what I pay for the Wal-Mart brand of KY, and no shipping!

[ 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Greenhaven ]

quote:

...And where is the best place to order excalibur from?

SOMEbuddy hasn't been LISTENING! [Razz] You want to use KY Jelly, NOT Excalibur. Works better, less rinsing required, no leftover smegma smell on your hands.

[big Grin]

quote:

...And where is the best place to order excalibur from?

SOMEbuddy hasn't been LISTENING! [Razz] You want to use KY Jelly, NOT Excalibur. Works better, less rinsing required, no leftover smegma smell on your hands.

[big Grin]

ZM you crack me up. That sounded like a testimonial! Maybe we should call J&J and suggest they advertise in equestrian pubs the "multi-purpose" use of their product. "For you AND your horse"!!!!

Better yet, we find some generic producer, package it as an equestrian product, double the price and make mucho $$$$!!! [big Grin]

ZM you crack me up. That sounded like a testimonial! Maybe we should call J&J and suggest they advertise in equestrian pubs the "multi-purpose" use of their product. "For you AND your horse"!!!!

Better yet, we find some generic producer, package it as an equestrian product, double the price and make mucho $$$$!!! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by mr_miamis_mom:

ZM you crack me up. That sounded like a testimonial! Maybe we should call J&J and suggest they advertise in equestrian pubs the "multi-purpose" use of their product. "For you AND your horse"!!!!...

I can see it now - me in a Vanna White dress, holding up a giGANtic tube of KY, smiling big, and reciting the tagline I wrote earlier. [Razz]

You know, my stepmother works in public relations for J&J ... hmmmmmm ...

quote:

Originally posted by mr_miamis_mom:

ZM you crack me up. That sounded like a testimonial! Maybe we should call J&J and suggest they advertise in equestrian pubs the "multi-purpose" use of their product. "For you AND your horse"!!!!...

I can see it now - me in a Vanna White dress, holding up a giGANtic tube of KY, smiling big, and reciting the tagline I wrote earlier. [Razz]

You know, my stepmother works in public relations for J&J ... hmmmmmm ...