Sign in to follow this  
mr_miamis_mom

Best sheath cleaner

Yes it would have to be a WHITE dress since white suggests cleanliness ( Since I work in advertising/marketing myself!)

Of course if J&J put it on the market as an equine product THEY would jack up the price considerably. When I worked in retail advertising a number of years ago we had to write taglines for products in the circulars... I can see it now...

"Many Uses"

Johnson & Johnson KY Jelly

10 oz. tube $2.99

[big Grin]

Yes it would have to be a WHITE dress since white suggests cleanliness ( Since I work in advertising/marketing myself!)

Of course if J&J put it on the market as an equine product THEY would jack up the price considerably. When I worked in retail advertising a number of years ago we had to write taglines for products in the circulars... I can see it now...

"Many Uses"

Johnson & Johnson KY Jelly

10 oz. tube $2.99

[big Grin]

I was picturing a white sequined dress with royal blue trim, a low scalloped neckline, and a long narrow (but not fitted) skirt. [big Grin] I must have seen that once on the show - it stuck with me.

Hello, fellow Marketer. I'm the Marketing Department for an engineering firm! [smileywavey]

I was picturing a white sequined dress with royal blue trim, a low scalloped neckline, and a long narrow (but not fitted) skirt. [big Grin] I must have seen that once on the show - it stuck with me.

Hello, fellow Marketer. I'm the Marketing Department for an engineering firm! [smileywavey]

Since it's been a while since we had the "how do I clean a sheath" question, I figure we're about due for a bunch of them. It's one of those recurring topics, you know. [Wink] So I'm bumping this up for the new people to read...

Since it's been a while since we had the "how do I clean a sheath" question, I figure we're about due for a bunch of them. It's one of those recurring topics, you know. [Wink] So I'm bumping this up for the new people to read...

Okay, people. New spin on the question.

How do you clean it in winter when it's really cold and close to freezing??

It's been ages since I cleaned a sheath, thanks for the refresher!!

Okay, people. New spin on the question.

How do you clean it in winter when it's really cold and close to freezing??

It's been ages since I cleaned a sheath, thanks for the refresher!!

quote:

Originally posted by Megs:

...How do you clean it in winter when it's really cold and close to freezing??....

Never done it in winter myself, but Heartandhorse wrote the following on the other thread:

quote:

I've used the Excalibur but am not very pleased with it and it is difficult to make sure you get it all rinsed out. I tried the KY thng after ZM posted about it a while back and boy does it work great! It was cold outside but that was ok because I did not need water to clean my horse so he could stay comfortable and I noticed that he actually stayed cleaner longer because the KY that I did not get out loosened up things and they came out on their own.

KY Jelly All The Way!

quote:

Originally posted by Megs:

...How do you clean it in winter when it's really cold and close to freezing??....

Never done it in winter myself, but Heartandhorse wrote the following on the other thread:

quote:

I've used the Excalibur but am not very pleased with it and it is difficult to make sure you get it all rinsed out. I tried the KY thng after ZM posted about it a while back and boy does it work great! It was cold outside but that was ok because I did not need water to clean my horse so he could stay comfortable and I noticed that he actually stayed cleaner longer because the KY that I did not get out loosened up things and they came out on their own.

KY Jelly All The Way!

One of our local 4-H girls did a demonstration on "how to clean a sheath" for her 4-h presentation. I think she got selected for state fair. The judge was a very proper lady who'd never been around horses...I'd have paid money to see her face.

I just did a quick clean up on Sunni last week. I don't know how long it's been since his sheath was cleaned, but it went pretty easy. He wouldn't drop, and I didn't have anything other than baby oil, which was a pain to get off. Maybe that's how I'll spend my thanksgiving weekend...a tube of KY and the radio...whoops, that sounds a bit wierd... [Embarrassed]

One of our local 4-H girls did a demonstration on "how to clean a sheath" for her 4-h presentation. I think she got selected for state fair. The judge was a very proper lady who'd never been around horses...I'd have paid money to see her face.

I just did a quick clean up on Sunni last week. I don't know how long it's been since his sheath was cleaned, but it went pretty easy. He wouldn't drop, and I didn't have anything other than baby oil, which was a pain to get off. Maybe that's how I'll spend my thanksgiving weekend...a tube of KY and the radio...whoops, that sounds a bit wierd... [Embarrassed]

Sheesh guys, I am away from the boards for a while and here we are still going strong... [Wink]

Cleaning in the winter, well it depends on how cold it is. Last year he was very stinky so I picked a mild day (upper 30's, low 40's) and did it same as I usually do, with warm water. We have a heat lamp in the wash stall which helps. I do it as quickly as possible, and towel him dry "down there" when done. Then I may ride him (we have an indoor) I figure exercise will warm him up and dry everything out. I would not put him out until he is dry, since I'm not sure if he could get chapped.

I am now the "official" sheath cleaner at the barn. I will be showing a friend how to do it this weekend. Lucky me [big Grin]

ZM, do you think my tiara will clash with my winter coat?

[ 11-26-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: mr_miamis_mom ]

Sheesh guys, I am away from the boards for a while and here we are still going strong... [Wink]

Cleaning in the winter, well it depends on how cold it is. Last year he was very stinky so I picked a mild day (upper 30's, low 40's) and did it same as I usually do, with warm water. We have a heat lamp in the wash stall which helps. I do it as quickly as possible, and towel him dry "down there" when done. Then I may ride him (we have an indoor) I figure exercise will warm him up and dry everything out. I would not put him out until he is dry, since I'm not sure if he could get chapped.

I am now the "official" sheath cleaner at the barn. I will be showing a friend how to do it this weekend. Lucky me [big Grin]

ZM, do you think my tiara will clash with my winter coat?

[ 11-26-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: mr_miamis_mom ]

quote:

Originally posted by Zephyr'sMom:

Since it's been a while since we had the "how do I clean a sheath" question, I figure we're about due for a bunch of them. It's one of those recurring topics, you know.
[Wink]
So I'm bumping this up for the new people to read...

LOL How right you are! That's the reason I got on the computer earlier today.

And I gotta tell ya... my 18 yr old son walked in the barn right while I was on my knees trying to get it clean!! Of course he says (as my husband is laughing) 'What are ya doin Mom?' I said cleaning. "Cleaning what? the poop shoot?" By now hubby is rolling and Ty says "Oh! You don't have to explain any more!"

Anyhow! On to my 1st question : The bean...is it hard? How hard? I couldn't get either of the horses to drop, so as I was up in there groping around...I thought I felt the bean. But what I got out was some greyish-white stuff that was about the consistency of silly puddy. Was that the bean?

2nd question: there was lots and lots of black crusty stuff up in the the first chamber and the second chamber. The KY softened it up and I was able to pull quite a bit out. But there's lots more. Should I go back in and get that crusty stuff out? What is it? My guess is dirt and sweat.

quote:

Originally posted by Zephyr'sMom:

Since it's been a while since we had the "how do I clean a sheath" question, I figure we're about due for a bunch of them. It's one of those recurring topics, you know.
[Wink]
So I'm bumping this up for the new people to read...

LOL How right you are! That's the reason I got on the computer earlier today.

And I gotta tell ya... my 18 yr old son walked in the barn right while I was on my knees trying to get it clean!! Of course he says (as my husband is laughing) 'What are ya doin Mom?' I said cleaning. "Cleaning what? the poop shoot?" By now hubby is rolling and Ty says "Oh! You don't have to explain any more!"

Anyhow! On to my 1st question : The bean...is it hard? How hard? I couldn't get either of the horses to drop, so as I was up in there groping around...I thought I felt the bean. But what I got out was some greyish-white stuff that was about the consistency of silly puddy. Was that the bean?

2nd question: there was lots and lots of black crusty stuff up in the the first chamber and the second chamber. The KY softened it up and I was able to pull quite a bit out. But there's lots more. Should I go back in and get that crusty stuff out? What is it? My guess is dirt and sweat.

You guys are hilarious! I have only cleaned out pepper's sheath once and it doesn't really even count because I just used water and I didn't find a bean, but he was sooo good with it. He was a little skittish but I got high up there. Alls I can say is that if its in wintertime and you're cleaning, you won't need to have gloves on! it's hot up there! [smile] What a hilarious topic. It can go so many ways!!

Thanks for all the info - my mom bought me Excalibur but I might just return it (if I can [smile] ) and buy some j-e-l-l-y!

Justine

You guys are hilarious! I have only cleaned out pepper's sheath once and it doesn't really even count because I just used water and I didn't find a bean, but he was sooo good with it. He was a little skittish but I got high up there. Alls I can say is that if its in wintertime and you're cleaning, you won't need to have gloves on! it's hot up there! [smile] What a hilarious topic. It can go so many ways!!

Thanks for all the info - my mom bought me Excalibur but I might just return it (if I can [smile] ) and buy some j-e-l-l-y!

Justine

Oh man...I have had my old gelding 10 years and never done this! Does this make me a bad horsey owner or what! Now I am the owner of three geldings (what was I thinking!), and I figure that I had better do this come spring...don't know how Kola is going to handle it, and just how the heck am I gonna do it on a Shetland??? [Eek!] Maybe one of those little car dolly things, ya know that you lay on and roll around on? [big Grin]

Oh man...I have had my old gelding 10 years and never done this! Does this make me a bad horsey owner or what! Now I am the owner of three geldings (what was I thinking!), and I figure that I had better do this come spring...don't know how Kola is going to handle it, and just how the heck am I gonna do it on a Shetland??? [Eek!] Maybe one of those little car dolly things, ya know that you lay on and roll around on? [big Grin]

Sorrel don't feel bad I've had Taino 5 years and most I've done for him was shove the hose up there till the water came out clear with no gunk in it [Cool] But I told mom I was gonna muster up the currage to go digging around as now I got me 2 geldings... I should have bought mares [Cool] .. so I guess I'll get to dong that soon.. before school starts [big Grin]

Sorrel don't feel bad I've had Taino 5 years and most I've done for him was shove the hose up there till the water came out clear with no gunk in it [Cool] But I told mom I was gonna muster up the currage to go digging around as now I got me 2 geldings... I should have bought mares [Cool] .. so I guess I'll get to dong that soon.. before school starts [big Grin]