Sign in to follow this  
mr_miamis_mom

Best sheath cleaner

This has become a worrisome issue for me. I have one gelding that is just really nasty with this. He has to be cleaned at least once a month or her will have stuff dripping down his leg and he stinks really bad.

Now he is such a good horse that when I first started cleaning him, he thought he was getting some nice attention and would drop and I could get the bean. Even so getting that bean is sometimes difficult and I assume now that I hurt him. Oh I tried to be gentle but somehow I jsut have hurt him. He now tries to kick me. He seems serious about it. Last month I tried ace that the vet gave me for this. I gave him 4 cc's, he seemed so nice and relaxed but would not drop. My arm does not seem long enough to get that bean when "it" is up inside him.

Also, to whoever said this was hard - if its hard, its easier, if you get my drift. You can then push "it" up and the bean will drop out.

This has become a worrisome issue for me. I have one gelding that is just really nasty with this. He has to be cleaned at least once a month or her will have stuff dripping down his leg and he stinks really bad.

Now he is such a good horse that when I first started cleaning him, he thought he was getting some nice attention and would drop and I could get the bean. Even so getting that bean is sometimes difficult and I assume now that I hurt him. Oh I tried to be gentle but somehow I jsut have hurt him. He now tries to kick me. He seems serious about it. Last month I tried ace that the vet gave me for this. I gave him 4 cc's, he seemed so nice and relaxed but would not drop. My arm does not seem long enough to get that bean when "it" is up inside him.

Also, to whoever said this was hard - if its hard, its easier, if you get my drift. You can then push "it" up and the bean will drop out.

Warm water will help him relax and drop his ******, too. We just went over this in class today, and our instructor did a presentation. (I should also mention, that one of the two horses was sedated, therefore had his "hoo-ha" hanging out the whole time...) The other gelding was not sedated, and she simply used a 100cc syringe to lavage the inside of the sheath with warm water, and pretty soon, here it came peeking out. Once it did, she grabbed it and started washing. She also uses Ivory soap, which was very mild, but I'm going to suggest the KY to her as well.

I just love reading posts on this subject. Ya'll are too funny sometimes.

Warm water will help him relax and drop his ******, too. We just went over this in class today, and our instructor did a presentation. (I should also mention, that one of the two horses was sedated, therefore had his "hoo-ha" hanging out the whole time...) The other gelding was not sedated, and she simply used a 100cc syringe to lavage the inside of the sheath with warm water, and pretty soon, here it came peeking out. Once it did, she grabbed it and started washing. She also uses Ivory soap, which was very mild, but I'm going to suggest the KY to her as well.

I just love reading posts on this subject. Ya'll are too funny sometimes.

quote:

Originally posted by Greenhaven:

quote:

Originally posted by GimmeATank:

This has got to be the most a) entertaining post on this entire forum and
B)
the most useful!! I never knew that learning to do new things could be so funny!

Oh my, then you must not have been here ofr the water bra discussion in GCC last year!!! What a hoot! Except, well, it wasn't really very edustaional in the traditional sense!
[Embarrassed]

quote:

I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com.

Thats about what I pay for the Wal-Mart brand of KY, and no shipping!

Greenhaven, don't you mean "what a hooter"?

quote:

Originally posted by Greenhaven:

quote:

Originally posted by GimmeATank:

This has got to be the most a) entertaining post on this entire forum and
B)
the most useful!! I never knew that learning to do new things could be so funny!

Oh my, then you must not have been here ofr the water bra discussion in GCC last year!!! What a hoot! Except, well, it wasn't really very edustaional in the traditional sense!
[Embarrassed]

quote:

I just wanted to say that I found it for $1.69 for a 4oz. tube at valleyvet.com.

Thats about what I pay for the Wal-Mart brand of KY, and no shipping!

Greenhaven, don't you mean "what a hooter"?

My boys are rollers. So I have to clean them every month. The stairs I get are just hilarious! Our barn is never empty! And let me just say, there are alot of seven year olds [Razz]

My boys are rollers. So I have to clean them every month. The stairs I get are just hilarious! Our barn is never empty! And let me just say, there are alot of seven year olds [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by Irish Sovereign:

quote:

Originally posted by mustangrider2:

Okay, stupid question, but what does "bump" mean???
[Confused]

It's just a way to "bump" the thread to the top.

Second stupid question - to the top of what? The topic list?

thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Irish Sovereign:

quote:

Originally posted by mustangrider2:

Okay, stupid question, but what does "bump" mean???
[Confused]

It's just a way to "bump" the thread to the top.

Second stupid question - to the top of what? The topic list?

thanks.

Yes, to the top of the topic list.

heehee ZM, you LOVE this topic don't you!!! Always coming back for more... [big Grin]

GET CLEANIN!!

Justine

Yes, to the top of the topic list.

heehee ZM, you LOVE this topic don't you!!! Always coming back for more... [big Grin]

GET CLEANIN!!

Justine

OK, now I've got a question.

How often? Or does it just vary from horse to horse?

I hadn't cleaned my boys since early summer. I cleaned them the other night and my gosh....I'm surprised Splash was still able to pee! The bean was absolutely huge!

I realize now, my boy needs to be cleaned more often. How often do you clena your boys?

OK, now I've got a question.

How often? Or does it just vary from horse to horse?

I hadn't cleaned my boys since early summer. I cleaned them the other night and my gosh....I'm surprised Splash was still able to pee! The bean was absolutely huge!

I realize now, my boy needs to be cleaned more often. How often do you clena your boys?

i was wondering at what age does cleaning need to begin? I have a 6 month old colt, were not going to geld him till around 2 or so. Do i need to start cleaning him now, or wait till hes older? He doesnt look dirty now.

thanks

shelly

by the way i thank the person who started this thread, there have been alot of questions answered that i would have never even thought of to ask [notworthy][big Grin]

i was wondering at what age does cleaning need to begin? I have a 6 month old colt, were not going to geld him till around 2 or so. Do i need to start cleaning him now, or wait till hes older? He doesnt look dirty now.

thanks

shelly

by the way i thank the person who started this thread, there have been alot of questions answered that i would have never even thought of to ask [notworthy][big Grin]

[smileywavey] ok you guys this has been the most entertaining 30 minutes for me... [big Grin] I started on page 1 and boy am I educated now!

I just got a new gelding he is 11 years old and beautiful(mho)! [angel] I am so thankful for him and want to take good care of him.

I am not sure about this sheath cleaning though. I about gagged reading the instructions and I think I would be too scared to do it. Do I need to take my horse to the vet and ask him to please clean his "manhood" how embarrasing.

How do you know for sure it needs cleaned? Isn't it natural for the horse to get yukky they are normally dirty.

Ok now this really grossed me out the other day my daughter and I were admiring our new horse the other day and as we were standing there (she is 9) he decided to drop and YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my daughter was like [Eek!] WHAT IS THAT MOM! and we both kinda just stood there in a daze [Confused] . It was all different colors and scaley and like peices of skin were coming off and oh my goodness I can't explain it...... is this normal?????? and yes it's true I have never seen a dropped "manhood" on a horse b4.... I usually have mares. Well I did see John Lyons horse Zip hangin out all the time on his shows but anyways not this close up.

So my ? is when do I really HAVE [Confused] to clean it and should I try or just go to the vet and is the scaley nasty multicolored thing normal???

thanks for this thread!! now im gonna be wondering if i need to invade his privacy OMG i don't think I can do it.... my place is so open here anyone can see me no matter where im standing [Eek!] too funny!

Hats off to you "cleaners" out there I don't think I can do it [notworthy]

[smileywavey] ok you guys this has been the most entertaining 30 minutes for me... [big Grin] I started on page 1 and boy am I educated now!

I just got a new gelding he is 11 years old and beautiful(mho)! [angel] I am so thankful for him and want to take good care of him.

I am not sure about this sheath cleaning though. I about gagged reading the instructions and I think I would be too scared to do it. Do I need to take my horse to the vet and ask him to please clean his "manhood" how embarrasing.

How do you know for sure it needs cleaned? Isn't it natural for the horse to get yukky they are normally dirty.

Ok now this really grossed me out the other day my daughter and I were admiring our new horse the other day and as we were standing there (she is 9) he decided to drop and YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my daughter was like [Eek!] WHAT IS THAT MOM! and we both kinda just stood there in a daze [Confused] . It was all different colors and scaley and like peices of skin were coming off and oh my goodness I can't explain it...... is this normal?????? and yes it's true I have never seen a dropped "manhood" on a horse b4.... I usually have mares. Well I did see John Lyons horse Zip hangin out all the time on his shows but anyways not this close up.

So my ? is when do I really HAVE [Confused] to clean it and should I try or just go to the vet and is the scaley nasty multicolored thing normal???

thanks for this thread!! now im gonna be wondering if i need to invade his privacy OMG i don't think I can do it.... my place is so open here anyone can see me no matter where im standing [Eek!] too funny!

Hats off to you "cleaners" out there I don't think I can do it [notworthy]

What color is your horse? Paints and apps will usually have multi colored skin including their genitals. And if the skin is multi colored then the smegma will usually be too, ranging from black to grey to pink or a beige color.

And YES - every gelding and stallion needs to be cleaned AT LEAST every 6 months but more often if you start to see crust and dirt on the inside of his thighs inbetween cleanings.

And all of that scaley, crusty stuff you see on the ****** when it dropped is dried smegma and if it was that obvious then yes, your horse needs cleaning right now!! Some dirt and crustiness is OK but if it was THAT obvious and gross then no it's not normal.

And now you wonder why humans circumsize little boys, imagine the infections and the uncomfort if a little boy didn't wash and clean himself for months or even years on end...

And yes, it seems really gross to do the first time but you get used to it and better at it. And the horse can only suck it in as far up to your elbow, but I have only had to do that on one horse. Most don't go as far as a 1/3 of your arm length. Also, I have used gloves but prefer not to because I can feel what I'm cleaning and make sure I get everything out. I just cleaned my gelding 2 days ago and was suprised to actually dropped some for me so I was able to really get it good - so much easier to clean something that you can see!! Using warm water helped too I think. I didn't have any Ivory soap on hand but I had bought a new sheath cleaner made by Red Rum from Stateline tack that smelled like mint and you dilute it in water and use a sponge. Worked alot better than excalibur, cheaper, and didn't smell as bad.

What color is your horse? Paints and apps will usually have multi colored skin including their genitals. And if the skin is multi colored then the smegma will usually be too, ranging from black to grey to pink or a beige color.

And YES - every gelding and stallion needs to be cleaned AT LEAST every 6 months but more often if you start to see crust and dirt on the inside of his thighs inbetween cleanings.

And all of that scaley, crusty stuff you see on the ****** when it dropped is dried smegma and if it was that obvious then yes, your horse needs cleaning right now!! Some dirt and crustiness is OK but if it was THAT obvious and gross then no it's not normal.

And now you wonder why humans circumsize little boys, imagine the infections and the uncomfort if a little boy didn't wash and clean himself for months or even years on end...

And yes, it seems really gross to do the first time but you get used to it and better at it. And the horse can only suck it in as far up to your elbow, but I have only had to do that on one horse. Most don't go as far as a 1/3 of your arm length. Also, I have used gloves but prefer not to because I can feel what I'm cleaning and make sure I get everything out. I just cleaned my gelding 2 days ago and was suprised to actually dropped some for me so I was able to really get it good - so much easier to clean something that you can see!! Using warm water helped too I think. I didn't have any Ivory soap on hand but I had bought a new sheath cleaner made by Red Rum from Stateline tack that smelled like mint and you dilute it in water and use a sponge. Worked alot better than excalibur, cheaper, and didn't smell as bad.

wow thanks sheila i think on my first cleaning job i will watch a pro and pay for it [smile] then i will try. oh my it gives me butterflies just thinking about doing this. well ok maybe i will go out there and touch him around there and see how he acts and if he acts calm maybe just maybe i will attempt this... so am i suppose to take my hand with the cleaner on it and feel inside the sheath and clean it like a cup.... then try to "grab" the ****** if he doesn't drop OH MY i cant do this.... i'm calling my vet... too funny!

wow thanks sheila i think on my first cleaning job i will watch a pro and pay for it [smile] then i will try. oh my it gives me butterflies just thinking about doing this. well ok maybe i will go out there and touch him around there and see how he acts and if he acts calm maybe just maybe i will attempt this... so am i suppose to take my hand with the cleaner on it and feel inside the sheath and clean it like a cup.... then try to "grab" the ****** if he doesn't drop OH MY i cant do this.... i'm calling my vet... too funny!

at what age does a horse need to start being cleaned? I have a 6 month old, who we are not planning on getting cut till around 2 years old. Do i need to start cleaning now? or wait till he's gelded?

thanks

shelly

[notworthy][smileywavey]

at what age does a horse need to start being cleaned? I have a 6 month old, who we are not planning on getting cut till around 2 years old. Do i need to start cleaning now? or wait till he's gelded?

thanks

shelly

[notworthy][smileywavey]