Sign in to follow this  
ckpaarup

"NOT" for Squeamish, Pics of bad knee cut - Update 7/31/2005 pg6

In case anyone else out there is looking for help/advice on doctoring nasty cuts, I'd thought I'd share. I'll post all info first, so you don't have to see the gross pictures. I'm used to looking at it so it doesn't bother me anymore.

This happened at a boarding facility about 90 miles from my home while my horse was being leased. Fence wire was wrapped around his knee. Diamond was free when found and the knee was cut over the knee and badly swollen. He was taken immediately to a vet by someone at the facility. Happened like Sept 16, 2004.

Vet prognosis was good, it'll take about 6 weeks to heal. No bandage, no stitches, just keep it clean, keep him stalled to limit movement. Recommended Wonderdust and antibiotic ointment. Leasee had vet out again and who trimmed proud flesh and decided should bandage just the knee. Said it was going to take months to heal. Diamond was dragging his hoof now when walking. Leasee was concerned his mental attitude was changing from being stalled. He was getting spooky. I decided it was way worse than originally told and hauled tail out to pick him up. He was sound to trailer.

His whole leg was swollen when I got there with only the knee bandaged. Since it was freshly bandaged and I really didn't want to see it, I decided to leave it alone until my vet came the next day. I was very concerned about the swelling.

I unwrapped it in the morning and OMG what a mess. Looked like a piece of meat. When the vet came he said "I'd take him to auction and sell him." Well, we all know where he would have ended up. My vets doctoring advice: keep clean with least invasive method (don't hose) spray with furazone and put cortisone ointment on pad over wound, bandage the entire leg. He thought it would take 6 months to heal and wasn't sure if he would be sound.

He is walking, trotting and loping great (very limited loping). The wound is healing well. The vet's comment last month was "WOW" [Not Worthy] He thought it looked great!

Additional things I've done,

Alternated cortisone with proudflesh medicines:

Equaide - brushes on, easy to use, no dripping OK to bandage, very expensive.

Underwood's Horse Medicine - spray on, drips, dust with regular baking powder, instructions say "not" to bandage which I cautiously ignored, reasonably priced.

Vet thought I should take him off grain to make him less nervous with being stall bound. This horse lives to eat! Opted to put him on calming herbs with his grain instead. My barn is open to runs, the boarding barn was dark and dank. Barns need more natural light and ventilation.

Best buys:

Herbs: www.herbalcom.com

Bandages: local at Horseman Supply in Weatherford, TX, online at horsehealthusa.com

I've been taking pictures every week or so, it really helps me see the healing process for when I think its not getting any better.

Before pictures taken by vet when he was here - 10/19/2004

-

Picture taken 2/12/2005

-

Picture taken 5/3/2005

-

Picture Taken 7/31/2005

-

Picture taken 10/19/2004

-

Picture taken 2/12/2005

-

Picture taken 7/31/2005

-

I'd be glad to offer any more info if needed, I looked everywhere for help but didn't find too much besides the ads for the medicines I bought. I'm hoping he'll be ready to turn out when the weather gets nice. I'm still bandaging for now.

[ 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: horse crazy inTX ]

In case anyone else out there is looking for help/advice on doctoring nasty cuts, I'd thought I'd share. I'll post all info first, so you don't have to see the gross pictures. I'm used to looking at it so it doesn't bother me anymore.

This happened at a boarding facility about 90 miles from my home while my horse was being leased. Fence wire was wrapped around his knee. Diamond was free when found and the knee was cut over the knee and badly swollen. He was taken immediately to a vet by someone at the facility. Happened like Sept 16, 2004.

Vet prognosis was good, it'll take about 6 weeks to heal. No bandage, no stitches, just keep it clean, keep him stalled to limit movement. Recommended Wonderdust and antibiotic ointment. Leasee had vet out again and who trimmed proud flesh and decided should bandage just the knee. Said it was going to take months to heal. Diamond was dragging his hoof now when walking. Leasee was concerned his mental attitude was changing from being stalled. He was getting spooky. I decided it was way worse than originally told and hauled tail out to pick him up. He was sound to trailer.

His whole leg was swollen when I got there with only the knee bandaged. Since it was freshly bandaged and I really didn't want to see it, I decided to leave it alone until my vet came the next day. I was very concerned about the swelling.

I unwrapped it in the morning and OMG what a mess. Looked like a piece of meat. When the vet came he said "I'd take him to auction and sell him." Well, we all know where he would have ended up. My vets doctoring advice: keep clean with least invasive method (don't hose) spray with furazone and put cortisone ointment on pad over wound, bandage the entire leg. He thought it would take 6 months to heal and wasn't sure if he would be sound.

He is walking, trotting and loping great (very limited loping). The wound is healing well. The vet's comment last month was "WOW" [Not Worthy] He thought it looked great!

Additional things I've done,

Alternated cortisone with proudflesh medicines:

Equaide - brushes on, easy to use, no dripping OK to bandage, very expensive.

Underwood's Horse Medicine - spray on, drips, dust with regular baking powder, instructions say "not" to bandage which I cautiously ignored, reasonably priced.

Vet thought I should take him off grain to make him less nervous with being stall bound. This horse lives to eat! Opted to put him on calming herbs with his grain instead. My barn is open to runs, the boarding barn was dark and dank. Barns need more natural light and ventilation.

Best buys:

Herbs: www.herbalcom.com

Bandages: local at Horseman Supply in Weatherford, TX, online at horsehealthusa.com

I've been taking pictures every week or so, it really helps me see the healing process for when I think its not getting any better.

Before pictures taken by vet when he was here - 10/19/2004

-

Picture taken 2/12/2005

-

Picture taken 5/3/2005

-

Picture Taken 7/31/2005

-

Picture taken 10/19/2004

-

Picture taken 2/12/2005

-

Picture taken 7/31/2005

-

I'd be glad to offer any more info if needed, I looked everywhere for help but didn't find too much besides the ads for the medicines I bought. I'm hoping he'll be ready to turn out when the weather gets nice. I'm still bandaging for now.

[ 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: horse crazy inTX ]

Wow! Leg wounds are the worst. It looks great now. I would have had him out long before now so he can move and not be stiff (with vets approval). Find out what he can do, you don't want to lose the movement in the knee with scar tissue.

You did a wonderful job of bringing that horse back.

Wow! Leg wounds are the worst. It looks great now. I would have had him out long before now so he can move and not be stiff (with vets approval). Find out what he can do, you don't want to lose the movement in the knee with scar tissue.

You did a wonderful job of bringing that horse back.

WHOA [Eek!] They MURDALIZED IT [Mad] I would have been ferocious with them. You've done a great job taking care of it, looks amazing in comparison [big Grin] Hope he continues to get better [smileywavey]

WHOA [Eek!] They MURDALIZED IT [Mad] I would have been ferocious with them. You've done a great job taking care of it, looks amazing in comparison [big Grin] Hope he continues to get better [smileywavey]

from Dodgershuman

quote:

WHOA They MURDALIZED IT I would have been ferocious with them.

The leasee felt horrible [me cry] It cost her a fortune in the month she took care of him. It wasn't her fault. But ya'd think boarding barns would have better fencing [Mad]

Forgot to add this from the vet book my friend got me for Christmas - All leg wounds should be bandaged! Shame on the vet. My vet went to school with her vet and they still treated differently!

Diamond does get out a few times a week for exercise. It's still monsoon season here in Texas and maybe I'm a little overprotective of a mom, so I only let him out when its dry. He still looks great at this point.

What do you think it means when he licks me when I doctor his leg...

Is he telling me he loves me or is he checking to see if I taste good? [big Grin]

from Dodgershuman

quote:

WHOA They MURDALIZED IT I would have been ferocious with them.

The leasee felt horrible [me cry] It cost her a fortune in the month she took care of him. It wasn't her fault. But ya'd think boarding barns would have better fencing [Mad]

Forgot to add this from the vet book my friend got me for Christmas - All leg wounds should be bandaged! Shame on the vet. My vet went to school with her vet and they still treated differently!

Diamond does get out a few times a week for exercise. It's still monsoon season here in Texas and maybe I'm a little overprotective of a mom, so I only let him out when its dry. He still looks great at this point.

What do you think it means when he licks me when I doctor his leg...

Is he telling me he loves me or is he checking to see if I taste good? [big Grin]

---"What do you think it means when he licks me when I doctor his leg...

Is he telling me he loves me or is he checking to see if I taste good?"---

Could be a little misplaced grooming behavior?

You rub my back and I rub yours.

Better than biting you from annoyance. [Wink]

---"What do you think it means when he licks me when I doctor his leg...

Is he telling me he loves me or is he checking to see if I taste good?"---

Could be a little misplaced grooming behavior?

You rub my back and I rub yours.

Better than biting you from annoyance. [Wink]

That looks like it is healing very nicely. Mind if I ask what Calming Herbs you used. I have a horse that is a nervous wreck at shows and I considered using something only during summer when I am going to haul him. He does not have the best trailer manners either. I do not want to put him to sleep but just calm his nerves some. [Roll Eyes]

That looks like it is healing very nicely. Mind if I ask what Calming Herbs you used. I have a horse that is a nervous wreck at shows and I considered using something only during summer when I am going to haul him. He does not have the best trailer manners either. I do not want to put him to sleep but just calm his nerves some. [Roll Eyes]

I used most of the herbs found in "Moody Mare". The 2 herbs with a calming effect are Valerian Root and Blue Vervain. Valerian root is not allowed at shows by some organizations, Blue Vervain is OK. I know Valerian works cause its in some human vitamins I've taken it.

I also mix in Chaste Berry "Monks Pepper" - this is good for hormonal problems for mares and "riggy" geldings. I have another gelding that has symptoms of "Cushing Disease" one of which is excessive sweating. Chaste Berry has definitely helped him too.

I add some ground cinnamon and chopped dry apple slices for smell and flavor, then throw in some black sunflower seeds too. Diamond with the bad knee loves it, the other guy kind of picks at it. I just top dress the grain with it.

I used most of the herbs found in "Moody Mare". The 2 herbs with a calming effect are Valerian Root and Blue Vervain. Valerian root is not allowed at shows by some organizations, Blue Vervain is OK. I know Valerian works cause its in some human vitamins I've taken it.

I also mix in Chaste Berry "Monks Pepper" - this is good for hormonal problems for mares and "riggy" geldings. I have another gelding that has symptoms of "Cushing Disease" one of which is excessive sweating. Chaste Berry has definitely helped him too.

I add some ground cinnamon and chopped dry apple slices for smell and flavor, then throw in some black sunflower seeds too. Diamond with the bad knee loves it, the other guy kind of picks at it. I just top dress the grain with it.