Sign in to follow this  
ckpaarup

"NOT" for Squeamish, Pics of bad knee cut - Update 7/31/2005 pg6

Congratulations on posting your picture! Wow, that does look like it was pretty nasty? Is she walking on it OK?

Congratulations on posting your picture! Wow, that does look like it was pretty nasty? Is she walking on it OK?

You have done a wonderful job!

I have used Underwoods also (though thankfully not on nearly that bad a wound) and think it is wonderful! I know you used other things, too. Looks like you got the winning combination!

You have done a wonderful job!

I have used Underwoods also (though thankfully not on nearly that bad a wound) and think it is wonderful! I know you used other things, too. Looks like you got the winning combination!

Underwoods is incredible...period!!! I've used it and seen it used for several years and will never use anything else.

And of course the vets are going to say don't use it...its money they won't get in their pocketbooks, and as far as I can say..same results if not better with Underwoods.

JMO..... [smileywavey]

Underwoods is incredible...period!!! I've used it and seen it used for several years and will never use anything else.

And of course the vets are going to say don't use it...its money they won't get in their pocketbooks, and as far as I can say..same results if not better with Underwoods.

JMO..... [smileywavey]

On the underwoods. Im glad you have had positive results but I have seen and heard of horror stories from it.

Anyone that brings it here is asked to take it home or It will be thrown away.

the older saying goes wet wound needs dry to heal. dry wound needs moisture

On the underwoods. Im glad you have had positive results but I have seen and heard of horror stories from it.

Anyone that brings it here is asked to take it home or It will be thrown away.

the older saying goes wet wound needs dry to heal. dry wound needs moisture

angelwings,

I finally was able to see your mare. Wow, that was a nasty cut too and healed quickly. She was so skinny. It is amazing how fast horses change when well taken care of. The foal's cute too.

My vet said not to use peroixde as it is also caustic. He only wanted me to use water, cortizone ointment and furall. I used the proudflesh treatments on my own. I figured that was better than having it cut away. Diamond's knee has been so tough to heal because when he bends his knee it pulls exactly where the cut was.

angelwings,

I finally was able to see your mare. Wow, that was a nasty cut too and healed quickly. She was so skinny. It is amazing how fast horses change when well taken care of. The foal's cute too.

My vet said not to use peroixde as it is also caustic. He only wanted me to use water, cortizone ointment and furall. I used the proudflesh treatments on my own. I figured that was better than having it cut away. Diamond's knee has been so tough to heal because when he bends his knee it pulls exactly where the cut was.

Originally posted by horse crazy inTX:

[QB]angelwings,

My vet said not to use peroixde as it is also caustic.

Yes this mare was in horrible shape when i brought her here and 2 weeks from foaling. We wernt sure we would be able to save eithr one.

The colt is doing great , he just came into the world with a bad attitude LOL. He is definately a hand full.

On the peroxide I only use it initially to help raise and debris that might be in the wound. I know they say it is caustic but underwoods and lime are too and if peroxide is so caustic is wouldnt be available for use on humans.

Originally posted by horse crazy inTX:

[QB]angelwings,

My vet said not to use peroixde as it is also caustic.

Yes this mare was in horrible shape when i brought her here and 2 weeks from foaling. We wernt sure we would be able to save eithr one.

The colt is doing great , he just came into the world with a bad attitude LOL. He is definately a hand full.

On the peroxide I only use it initially to help raise and debris that might be in the wound. I know they say it is caustic but underwoods and lime are too and if peroxide is so caustic is wouldnt be available for use on humans.

The vet's point on the peroxide and iodine scrub for that matter was that they would help to stimulate the proudflesh to grow. He said the same about hosing that it would stimulate the proudflesh too.

The vet's point on the peroxide and iodine scrub for that matter was that they would help to stimulate the proudflesh to grow. He said the same about hosing that it would stimulate the proudflesh too.

I had a filly a few years back that cut herself on the inside of her hock. It was a deep nasty injury that even with religous treatment became infected and started to abcess. A farrier friend suggested using 'dry cow' for it. Basically the liquid pennicillin for mastitis. We started injecting it into the wound once a day then later we'd use 'granulex' for a topical dressing and kept it wrapped. She healed So quickly then, no proud flesh, and never a problem with that leg either. Injecting the pennicillin pushed out the infection, and allowed the would to heal from the inside out. Definitly ask your vet before trying this, but it worked wonders for me, and I'd do it again.

I had a filly a few years back that cut herself on the inside of her hock. It was a deep nasty injury that even with religous treatment became infected and started to abcess. A farrier friend suggested using 'dry cow' for it. Basically the liquid pennicillin for mastitis. We started injecting it into the wound once a day then later we'd use 'granulex' for a topical dressing and kept it wrapped. She healed So quickly then, no proud flesh, and never a problem with that leg either. Injecting the pennicillin pushed out the infection, and allowed the would to heal from the inside out. Definitly ask your vet before trying this, but it worked wonders for me, and I'd do it again.

Horse Crazy in Texas,

I don't have much experience in treating really nasty wounds like you have. Based on the first pic, I would never have thought that wound would heal that well. GOOD JOB!! I'm very impressed.

Horse Crazy in Texas,

I don't have much experience in treating really nasty wounds like you have. Based on the first pic, I would never have thought that wound would heal that well. GOOD JOB!! I'm very impressed.

Thanks everyone, it is still not totally done healing. Some more hair will grow back yet!

I hope the next picture I post is of me riding him. [big Grin]

Thanks everyone, it is still not totally done healing. Some more hair will grow back yet!

I hope the next picture I post is of me riding him. [big Grin]

This topis is incredible. Now, I have a problem, and I hope someone can help. First of all, I live in Canada and have never heard of this 'usherwoods' that U all refer to. It sounds great, but I can't get it.

My husbands gelding had a terrible accident 15 days ago. He somehow cut the tendon in his left hock. It's not cut completely thru though. I will take a picture and post it as soon as I can get one. What can I do?? I've been cold hosing it, and keeping it really clean. He does not want to put any weight on that leg at all yet. Should I be concerned about that, or will that happen soon enough.

Thanks all.

Worried in Canada

This topis is incredible. Now, I have a problem, and I hope someone can help. First of all, I live in Canada and have never heard of this 'usherwoods' that U all refer to. It sounds great, but I can't get it.

My husbands gelding had a terrible accident 15 days ago. He somehow cut the tendon in his left hock. It's not cut completely thru though. I will take a picture and post it as soon as I can get one. What can I do?? I've been cold hosing it, and keeping it really clean. He does not want to put any weight on that leg at all yet. Should I be concerned about that, or will that happen soon enough.

Thanks all.

Worried in Canada

If you can wrap it, thats what I would do.

The main things my vet said were:

1) to keep it clean with only warm water and minimal pressure cleaning

2) spray with Furall or Furazone

3) put cortizone ointment on a non-stick pad over the cut

4) wrap with quilts or pads and vetwrap. In the beginning I had to use three rolls of vetwrap to keep the bandage in place.

Hopefully your vet has prescribed antibiotics and bute for a pain killer and anti-inflammatory.

Some people swear by Underwoods, I only used it briefly off and on to remove any signs of growing proudflesh.

I hope you get your picture posted for us to see.

If you can wrap it, thats what I would do.

The main things my vet said were:

1) to keep it clean with only warm water and minimal pressure cleaning

2) spray with Furall or Furazone

3) put cortizone ointment on a non-stick pad over the cut

4) wrap with quilts or pads and vetwrap. In the beginning I had to use three rolls of vetwrap to keep the bandage in place.

Hopefully your vet has prescribed antibiotics and bute for a pain killer and anti-inflammatory.

Some people swear by Underwoods, I only used it briefly off and on to remove any signs of growing proudflesh.

I hope you get your picture posted for us to see.