Sign in to follow this  
Rachel on Ginger

Ultimate senior/geriatric horse thread (updated)

My mare is 24 and kept at my grandmothers house. She is fed twice a day by my grandma. I only get out to see her maybe once a month. She is fed grain every morning and night since she quit eating hay and alfalfa a few years ago. She is also fed several carrots a day. She is allowed to spend all her time in a three acre field. She is overweight. I would also like to switch her over to a senior feed. Any suggestions? Im also looking for a joint supplement, to help prevent any future arthritis. She is reletively unactive and many a morning can be found laying down sleeping in the sun. Whenever I do see her and she is not lame (she has a bad hoof that has trouble with splitting) she is full of energy and gets that typical hyperactivity thats associated with feeding grain. She has no real health problems besides her hoof and her obesity. What would you recomend I do to change her feeding regimine? I will be having an equine dentist come out to examine her teeth and provide floating if needed.

What do you do for your senior horse? How to you try to increase their quality of life? What steps or precautions have you taken to assure they remain happy and useful into old age?

Oh yeah, post pictures too. I love looking at pictures of others horses.

Here is Ginger last year when she was 23

-

In this picture you can see the pasture she has all to herself. Only about half of it is showing, the other part wraps around to the right. -

[ 02-18-2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Rachel on Ginger ]

My mare is 24 and kept at my grandmothers house. She is fed twice a day by my grandma. I only get out to see her maybe once a month. She is fed grain every morning and night since she quit eating hay and alfalfa a few years ago. She is also fed several carrots a day. She is allowed to spend all her time in a three acre field. She is overweight. I would also like to switch her over to a senior feed. Any suggestions? Im also looking for a joint supplement, to help prevent any future arthritis. She is reletively unactive and many a morning can be found laying down sleeping in the sun. Whenever I do see her and she is not lame (she has a bad hoof that has trouble with splitting) she is full of energy and gets that typical hyperactivity thats associated with feeding grain. She has no real health problems besides her hoof and her obesity. What would you recomend I do to change her feeding regimine? I will be having an equine dentist come out to examine her teeth and provide floating if needed.

What do you do for your senior horse? How to you try to increase their quality of life? What steps or precautions have you taken to assure they remain happy and useful into old age?

Oh yeah, post pictures too. I love looking at pictures of others horses.

Here is Ginger last year when she was 23

-

In this picture you can see the pasture she has all to herself. Only about half of it is showing, the other part wraps around to the right. -

[ 02-18-2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Rachel on Ginger ]

She looks great! Not to fat for an old mare, but a nice shinny coat. I feed my oldie Puriena Equin senior, works great! And it is packed with hay, it even says on the bag that you don't have to feed a horse hay since the grain is so packed with it. And since the mare is not on hay that sounds even better for her! I have heard by my vet that Nutrena's senior feed causes alot of horses colic. Just something to think about.

Best wishes!

God Bless

She looks great! Not to fat for an old mare, but a nice shinny coat. I feed my oldie Puriena Equin senior, works great! And it is packed with hay, it even says on the bag that you don't have to feed a horse hay since the grain is so packed with it. And since the mare is not on hay that sounds even better for her! I have heard by my vet that Nutrena's senior feed causes alot of horses colic. Just something to think about.

Best wishes!

God Bless

I would't worry about switching to a senior feed, if your worried about her weight just cut back on how much she gets. As far as joint supplements go, there are so many out there. Some to think about, Corta Flx, Fluid Flex, Finish Line, Sound Solution, Joint Combo, Cosequin. You could also add Source Focus SR. I've heard good things about it. Yes the senior feeds have hay in them but not the kind that keeps the gut functioning propertly. You might want to think about soaking hay cubes for her, this is what is called "long stem hay". But then again if she has all that pasture she might not want hay. Hope this can help you. I also have two old barrel horses. 18 and 19 and still going strong! Best of Luck! [Wink]

I would't worry about switching to a senior feed, if your worried about her weight just cut back on how much she gets. As far as joint supplements go, there are so many out there. Some to think about, Corta Flx, Fluid Flex, Finish Line, Sound Solution, Joint Combo, Cosequin. You could also add Source Focus SR. I've heard good things about it. Yes the senior feeds have hay in them but not the kind that keeps the gut functioning propertly. You might want to think about soaking hay cubes for her, this is what is called "long stem hay". But then again if she has all that pasture she might not want hay. Hope this can help you. I also have two old barrel horses. 18 and 19 and still going strong! Best of Luck! [Wink]

She looks to be in very good shape to me, nice shiney coat, very pretty horse.

I like Purina Senior, my thirty year old pony gets it and loves it. He is thriving on it. So far he has had no problems eating hay. We check his teeth, every six months, keep his feet trimmed, worm him regular, give him treats every now and then, (just a little spoiled) but I've had him from birth so I'm gonna keep spoiling him LOL!

I had to put a stop to people giving him treats from vehicles, he thought that anyone in a car or truck came up to the house just to give him treats! LOL! (he loves rolaids and peppermint candy) People who had never been around pony's (Johova's Witness's) got terrerized by him! When he would stick his head into their windows, they thought he was trying to attack! LOL! [big Grin][smileywavey]

She looks to be in very good shape to me, nice shiney coat, very pretty horse.

I like Purina Senior, my thirty year old pony gets it and loves it. He is thriving on it. So far he has had no problems eating hay. We check his teeth, every six months, keep his feet trimmed, worm him regular, give him treats every now and then, (just a little spoiled) but I've had him from birth so I'm gonna keep spoiling him LOL!

I had to put a stop to people giving him treats from vehicles, he thought that anyone in a car or truck came up to the house just to give him treats! LOL! (he loves rolaids and peppermint candy) People who had never been around pony's (Johova's Witness's) got terrerized by him! When he would stick his head into their windows, they thought he was trying to attack! LOL! [big Grin][smileywavey]

-

This is Bummy (Bonfire) 38 inch's of not so lean, mean car chasing machine!!! LOL! Turned 30 April 8th. [big Grin]

[ 04-11-2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Loop ]

-

This is Bummy (Bonfire) 38 inch's of not so lean, mean car chasing machine!!! LOL! Turned 30 April 8th. [big Grin]

[ 04-11-2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Loop ]

-

-

-

-

This is my 25yr Old QH gelding that was givin to me and my bf to take care of and love for teh rest of his life. He gets 1 gallon of senior feed day and night, and 2 flakes of orchard grass hay at night. Hes kept up in a stall at night, and turned out during the day. He is great for his age. My bf is taking riding lessons on him. He still acts like a 5yr old, he is wonderful.

-

-

-

-

This is my 25yr Old QH gelding that was givin to me and my bf to take care of and love for teh rest of his life. He gets 1 gallon of senior feed day and night, and 2 flakes of orchard grass hay at night. Hes kept up in a stall at night, and turned out during the day. He is great for his age. My bf is taking riding lessons on him. He still acts like a 5yr old, he is wonderful.

LOL! Bummy is deffinately faster than a speeding cookie!! [big Grin]

He may be thirty as of the eighth day of April, but he's not slowing down any. LOL! [smileywavey]

LOL! Bummy is deffinately faster than a speeding cookie!! [big Grin]

He may be thirty as of the eighth day of April, but he's not slowing down any. LOL! [smileywavey]

Here is my 25 yr old TB..we thought he was 26 but found out he's 25 this year..doesn't matter thought he doesn't know how old he is he acts like a 2 year old sometimes..he can be such a retard [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin] , though occasionally he does show his age for the most part he looks pretty darn good. He still does walk, trot, canter and sometimes a little jump..I usually put beginners on him he is sooooooo good with them and they don't ask much of him so he loves it..

He gets about 15-20lbs of sweet feed/senior/hay stretcher mix divided into 2 feeds with vitamins/gulcosimine/msm/zev (he's a little heavie)at night with spring and summer antihistimines for allergies...yes he gets alot but he is worth it, for hay he gets about 3-4 flakes grass hay at night and 1 bale divided between him and his 2 girlfriends in the morning. He's a 16.3 1/2hh (17hh with shoes ) rescued TB so he gets a lot of food..lol.

-

-

-

Here is my 25 yr old TB..we thought he was 26 but found out he's 25 this year..doesn't matter thought he doesn't know how old he is he acts like a 2 year old sometimes..he can be such a retard [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin] , though occasionally he does show his age for the most part he looks pretty darn good. He still does walk, trot, canter and sometimes a little jump..I usually put beginners on him he is sooooooo good with them and they don't ask much of him so he loves it..

He gets about 15-20lbs of sweet feed/senior/hay stretcher mix divided into 2 feeds with vitamins/gulcosimine/msm/zev (he's a little heavie)at night with spring and summer antihistimines for allergies...yes he gets alot but he is worth it, for hay he gets about 3-4 flakes grass hay at night and 1 bale divided between him and his 2 girlfriends in the morning. He's a 16.3 1/2hh (17hh with shoes ) rescued TB so he gets a lot of food..lol.

-

-

-

Okay, where are the old horses? I have a friend whose mare is 37. She retired years ago, but still comes galloping across the pasture when it's feeding time. She has Cushing's, but the pergolide is keeping her healthy. Another friend has a 40-year old pony who is still ridden (and canters even!) by little kids taking lessons. We should think of the equine twenties as middle-aged, not elderly!

Okay, where are the old horses? I have a friend whose mare is 37. She retired years ago, but still comes galloping across the pasture when it's feeding time. She has Cushing's, but the pergolide is keeping her healthy. Another friend has a 40-year old pony who is still ridden (and canters even!) by little kids taking lessons. We should think of the equine twenties as middle-aged, not elderly!

Loop, thank you, he is my baby [big Grin]

SusieQ I hope to have him around for another 10 or so years, but I guess I am of the generation of thinkers that 20+ year old horse is geratric (sp?)but when you think about it modern medicine is making animals live longer and longer so the term geratric is for older and older horses...hmmmmmmmm did that make any sense ?...trying to avoid working today..lol

Almosta

Loop, thank you, he is my baby [big Grin]

SusieQ I hope to have him around for another 10 or so years, but I guess I am of the generation of thinkers that 20+ year old horse is geratric (sp?)but when you think about it modern medicine is making animals live longer and longer so the term geratric is for older and older horses...hmmmmmmmm did that make any sense ?...trying to avoid working today..lol

Almosta

I feed my 30 year old gelding equine senior with glucosomine in it. He is on a good diet of pellets, bran, salt(Arizona is bad for dehydration) and Senior. He has done so much better with the glucosomine. He has arthritis in his back hocks so it definetly helps. If you want to see a picture of him it is under the topic age?

I feed my 30 year old gelding equine senior with glucosomine in it. He is on a good diet of pellets, bran, salt(Arizona is bad for dehydration) and Senior. He has done so much better with the glucosomine. He has arthritis in his back hocks so it definetly helps. If you want to see a picture of him it is under the topic age?