Sign in to follow this  
mmcsnap

weight builder vs oil?

The place where I board my horse told me to stop giving my horse weight builder and put her on oil.."its the same idea" "fat is fat" I wonder though? Any comments?

The place where I board my horse told me to stop giving my horse weight builder and put her on oil.."its the same idea" "fat is fat" I wonder though? Any comments?

I just have 2 things to say about "weight" on your horse. 1) What is it that you are feeding now?? 2) It's your horse -- you should be able to feed what you want!!!! Good luck..........

I just have 2 things to say about "weight" on your horse. 1) What is it that you are feeding now?? 2) It's your horse -- you should be able to feed what you want!!!! Good luck..........

Oil is fine for putting wieght on a horse. And there was a study that suggested that feeding corn oil daily might help reduce the incidence of gastric ulcers. Plus you get the Omega 3 fatty acids that help make a nice shiny coat.

I don't know that it will be any cheaper then the weight buildering supplements and you have to be careful to check and make sure that it hasn't gone rancid before feeding it, but it's fine for helping get weight on a horse.

Oil is fine for putting wieght on a horse. And there was a study that suggested that feeding corn oil daily might help reduce the incidence of gastric ulcers. Plus you get the Omega 3 fatty acids that help make a nice shiny coat.

I don't know that it will be any cheaper then the weight buildering supplements and you have to be careful to check and make sure that it hasn't gone rancid before feeding it, but it's fine for helping get weight on a horse.

My personal experiance, Weight Builder didn't do much for my horse. I couldn't do oil because I bag my horse's feed a week in advance. I used rice bran pellets to add fat to her diet. I'd say, if you are happy with what Weight Builder is doing for your horse than why switch? However, if you're not getting results, than go ahead and try something different.

My personal experiance, Weight Builder didn't do much for my horse. I couldn't do oil because I bag my horse's feed a week in advance. I used rice bran pellets to add fat to her diet. I'd say, if you are happy with what Weight Builder is doing for your horse than why switch? However, if you're not getting results, than go ahead and try something different.

Uckele has studies that show refined corn oil can cause inflamatory responses such as arthritis and allergies.

Speaking from personal experience, I've had much, much better results on natural unrefined oils than I have on weight builder, rice bran & rice bran oil blends, corn oil, beet pulp.

I've been feeding cocosoya oil for a little over a month and I've noticed dramatic results on much less oil than the others that I've tried. Before trying cocosoya oil, I fed another natural brand and had wonderful results with it too but it was expensive. I feed it for joints and weight both.

Uckele has studies that show refined corn oil can cause inflamatory responses such as arthritis and allergies.

Speaking from personal experience, I've had much, much better results on natural unrefined oils than I have on weight builder, rice bran & rice bran oil blends, corn oil, beet pulp.

I've been feeding cocosoya oil for a little over a month and I've noticed dramatic results on much less oil than the others that I've tried. Before trying cocosoya oil, I fed another natural brand and had wonderful results with it too but it was expensive. I feed it for joints and weight both.

well, that is some food for thought. Anything to make her eating easier since she is missing some teeth... I never thought of the oil going rancid! Thanks for bringing that up. may consider the cocosoya. I'll do some research to see where I can get it. Thank you for all your responses!

Michelle

well, that is some food for thought. Anything to make her eating easier since she is missing some teeth... I never thought of the oil going rancid! Thanks for bringing that up. may consider the cocosoya. I'll do some research to see where I can get it. Thank you for all your responses!

Michelle

oops I just posted on the other cocosoya site. Oh well either way I'm guaranteed to get a response huh? [big Grin] As I said in the other one...I just ordered cocosoya. Do I need to make is a slow transition from corn oil to cocosoya like I do with feed when I switch or is it different with oils? just wondering.

Michelle

oops I just posted on the other cocosoya site. Oh well either way I'm guaranteed to get a response huh? [big Grin] As I said in the other one...I just ordered cocosoya. Do I need to make is a slow transition from corn oil to cocosoya like I do with feed when I switch or is it different with oils? just wondering.

Michelle

Since oil is 100% fat and any other product for weight gain is going to be less (generally around 20-40% fat), you will get more bang for your buck from oil.

I agree with the others....feeding corn oil is probably not the best route to take and there are plenty of alternatives. A combination of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6s seems to be most veneficial. That would be flax seed and almost any other source of fat (sunflower seeds, rice bran, any oil. Flax is the only source of omega-3 fatty acids except for grass.

I personally perfer feeding sunflwoer seeds and rice bran (with flax) as opposed to feeding oil...for a varity of reasons - no mess, easier to take on the road, easier to get them to eat it, and additional nutritional value from the variety...there is no nutritional value to oil except calories and sometimes vit. E.

Since oil is 100% fat and any other product for weight gain is going to be less (generally around 20-40% fat), you will get more bang for your buck from oil.

I agree with the others....feeding corn oil is probably not the best route to take and there are plenty of alternatives. A combination of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6s seems to be most veneficial. That would be flax seed and almost any other source of fat (sunflower seeds, rice bran, any oil. Flax is the only source of omega-3 fatty acids except for grass.

I personally perfer feeding sunflwoer seeds and rice bran (with flax) as opposed to feeding oil...for a varity of reasons - no mess, easier to take on the road, easier to get them to eat it, and additional nutritional value from the variety...there is no nutritional value to oil except calories and sometimes vit. E.

Thats a good question Desert. Is it harmful to give both weight builder and oil together until your horse is at the desirable weight and then back off of one?

Thats a good question Desert. Is it harmful to give both weight builder and oil together until your horse is at the desirable weight and then back off of one?

I know this post is a few weeks old but I actually came upon it again in a search for corn.

So. I'd still like my questions answered - if possible (there may not be one) - and now I'd like to know where to buy cocosoya oil.

Thanks!

I know this post is a few weeks old but I actually came upon it again in a search for corn.

So. I'd still like my questions answered - if possible (there may not be one) - and now I'd like to know where to buy cocosoya oil.

Thanks!

I have only used Weight builder a few times and noticed some difference. But we used Corn oil on the show horses poured it over their grain 2 times a day and with there sheets kept on man they were soooo shiney they looked wet, talk about hard to stay on bareback.

Use what you want and tell your barn to butt out!

I have only used Weight builder a few times and noticed some difference. But we used Corn oil on the show horses poured it over their grain 2 times a day and with there sheets kept on man they were soooo shiney they looked wet, talk about hard to stay on bareback.

Use what you want and tell your barn to butt out!