Sign in to follow this  
mvos

CVM -- Testicle drop at 10 years -- Update

Ever seen this? My horse was gelded at exactly one year old. (I have the paperwork). He was ten years old in June of this year.

I have had him for almost five years. The first two years, he was pastured with mares and geldings. No problems.

Last October, he dropped what looked like a testicle. We couldn't believe it. The vet checked his testosterone at that time but there was none. So the vet thought it best to wait and watch for a little while.

We got a new gelding in the spring and Tris turned into a stallion. He just wants to kill that (timid) gelding and started herding the other geldings and being downright mean to his old friends in an effort to keep them near him and under his control. So now we keep Tris by himself. We have no mares.

Lately, he is showing some soreness on the side where the "testicle" is. Can't push off on that hind leg to get the right canter lead, holding his tail to the side and tail wringing, etc. when on a right going circle. He's perfect to the left. The testicle is on his left side.

We had the testosterone test done again last week and his testosterone level is 85. So, although low for a stallion, it looks as though this very well may be a wanna be testicle. Stallions would be about 100. Mares and geldings would be around 50. He's right in the middle.

Surgery on Tuesday a.m. to get to the bottom of this.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a testicle drop on a ten year old gelding. I'm amazed. There is nothing on the castration report or the bill for the castration to say there was a problem of any kind. I did think of calling the castrating vet but I'm sure they either wouldn't remember or wouldn't tell.

[ 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Ever seen this? My horse was gelded at exactly one year old. (I have the paperwork). He was ten years old in June of this year.

I have had him for almost five years. The first two years, he was pastured with mares and geldings. No problems.

Last October, he dropped what looked like a testicle. We couldn't believe it. The vet checked his testosterone at that time but there was none. So the vet thought it best to wait and watch for a little while.

We got a new gelding in the spring and Tris turned into a stallion. He just wants to kill that (timid) gelding and started herding the other geldings and being downright mean to his old friends in an effort to keep them near him and under his control. So now we keep Tris by himself. We have no mares.

Lately, he is showing some soreness on the side where the "testicle" is. Can't push off on that hind leg to get the right canter lead, holding his tail to the side and tail wringing, etc. when on a right going circle. He's perfect to the left. The testicle is on his left side.

We had the testosterone test done again last week and his testosterone level is 85. So, although low for a stallion, it looks as though this very well may be a wanna be testicle. Stallions would be about 100. Mares and geldings would be around 50. He's right in the middle.

Surgery on Tuesday a.m. to get to the bottom of this.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a testicle drop on a ten year old gelding. I'm amazed. There is nothing on the castration report or the bill for the castration to say there was a problem of any kind. I did think of calling the castrating vet but I'm sure they either wouldn't remember or wouldn't tell.

[ 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

You'll have to start calling him 'Oddball' LOL

That is amazing - did he 'grow' it? was it there and they missed it? (I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice if you had only removed one and not two.. so there must of been another one) But if it was there you would have expected to have testosterone.....

Please keep us updated (hope the surgery goes well)

You'll have to start calling him 'Oddball' LOL

That is amazing - did he 'grow' it? was it there and they missed it? (I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice if you had only removed one and not two.. so there must of been another one) But if it was there you would have expected to have testosterone.....

Please keep us updated (hope the surgery goes well)

Well, it would certainly rank on the scale of bizarre and unusual. But I would probably bet that he was cryptorchid when he was gelded as a yearling and he was inappropriately only cut "once".

Well, it would certainly rank on the scale of bizarre and unusual. But I would probably bet that he was cryptorchid when he was gelded as a yearling and he was inappropriately only cut "once".

Surgery was this a.m.

Tristan did not have a full testicle. He has an inguinal hernia (worse). Probably has always had it but it has gotten bigger and bigger. The lump was actually the muscle that is usually up higher and pulls the testicle up and down. Attached to that was some spermatic cord and some tissue that must have been missed at castration time.

So, he now must have another surgery (at the clinic) in about ten days to properly repair the hernia. A temporary repair has been made but in field conditions, with a horse that just will not stay down, it was impossible to repair properly.

Keep your fingers crossed please and pray that more serious complications do not occur in the meantime. The muscle was blocking anything else from coming through the hole, now that is gone.

Sorry for the non-medical terminology. The vet told me all the proper medical terms but I did not retain them well.

This poor horse has been in pain from this hernia since he was a baby. I feel so bad for him. No wonder he was going to be put down as being too dangerous. No wonder he wanted nothing to do with being ridden. How gracious he has been to allow me to work him.

[ 07-26-2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Surgery was this a.m.

Tristan did not have a full testicle. He has an inguinal hernia (worse). Probably has always had it but it has gotten bigger and bigger. The lump was actually the muscle that is usually up higher and pulls the testicle up and down. Attached to that was some spermatic cord and some tissue that must have been missed at castration time.

So, he now must have another surgery (at the clinic) in about ten days to properly repair the hernia. A temporary repair has been made but in field conditions, with a horse that just will not stay down, it was impossible to repair properly.

Keep your fingers crossed please and pray that more serious complications do not occur in the meantime. The muscle was blocking anything else from coming through the hole, now that is gone.

Sorry for the non-medical terminology. The vet told me all the proper medical terms but I did not retain them well.

This poor horse has been in pain from this hernia since he was a baby. I feel so bad for him. No wonder he was going to be put down as being too dangerous. No wonder he wanted nothing to do with being ridden. How gracious he has been to allow me to work him.

[ 07-26-2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Oy.... sorry it wasn't good news.

They can be so patient with us, can't they? Even when we are asking them to do something that hurts, they still try so hard. When I found out about my mare I was devastated that she had been through so much and still, still she carried on.

sending good thoughts to Tris and you

Oy.... sorry it wasn't good news.

They can be so patient with us, can't they? Even when we are asking them to do something that hurts, they still try so hard. When I found out about my mare I was devastated that she had been through so much and still, still she carried on.

sending good thoughts to Tris and you