Sign in to follow this  
professionalameture

linament

I have 2 geldings that I ride quite often. (or I try to anyway) #1 has a high ringbone in his rear leg. #2 has a deeeeep scar on his front leg. other than that, they are both normal. my question is: when, where, why, how, etc. do I use the linament? should I put it on their whole legs, just the joints, just the places of concern, or what? should I put it on every time I ride after I ride? or does it make any difference since they just go roll after I let em loose [Mad] Also, after putting linament on them last night, My hand was nearly numb and felt like it was frozen though it was hot. Should I wear rubber gloves in the future to prevent this uncomfortable feeling? I think I have a couple more questions, but I can't remember them right now. (probably good for you [Wink] ) So anywya, thanks in advance [Not Worthy]

I have 2 geldings that I ride quite often. (or I try to anyway) #1 has a high ringbone in his rear leg. #2 has a deeeeep scar on his front leg. other than that, they are both normal. my question is: when, where, why, how, etc. do I use the linament? should I put it on their whole legs, just the joints, just the places of concern, or what? should I put it on every time I ride after I ride? or does it make any difference since they just go roll after I let em loose [Mad] Also, after putting linament on them last night, My hand was nearly numb and felt like it was frozen though it was hot. Should I wear rubber gloves in the future to prevent this uncomfortable feeling? I think I have a couple more questions, but I can't remember them right now. (probably good for you [Wink] ) So anywya, thanks in advance [Not Worthy]

After a really hard ride, or when it's super hot in the summer, I give my horse at Vetrolin bath. You can buy the Vetrolin Liniment in a gallon container for about $20-25 bucks. It's AWESOME. You just pour in enough to cover the bottom of the bucket (and a little more if they worked super hard ) and fill it with water. Then you just dip in a sponge, and squeeze it all over them, getting their legs really good as well.

Liniment is a muscle relaxer for horses, it relieves aching joints, tendons, ankles etc. It just makes em feel good. It's kind of like Ben-Gay for people. I'm not sure about the other kinds, but I know the Vetrolin liniment makes their coat shiny as well. And I also know that you can NOT put it under a wrap b/c it will blister.

There's a few others that I've used that have worked well, Bigeol(sp), and the Absorbine Liniment, but after putting it on my horse, he went crazy! Started running in circles and pawing cuz...well, I guess he felt so super good and tingly! lol.

[ 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Imagine That ]

After a really hard ride, or when it's super hot in the summer, I give my horse at Vetrolin bath. You can buy the Vetrolin Liniment in a gallon container for about $20-25 bucks. It's AWESOME. You just pour in enough to cover the bottom of the bucket (and a little more if they worked super hard ) and fill it with water. Then you just dip in a sponge, and squeeze it all over them, getting their legs really good as well.

Liniment is a muscle relaxer for horses, it relieves aching joints, tendons, ankles etc. It just makes em feel good. It's kind of like Ben-Gay for people. I'm not sure about the other kinds, but I know the Vetrolin liniment makes their coat shiny as well. And I also know that you can NOT put it under a wrap b/c it will blister.

There's a few others that I've used that have worked well, Bigeol(sp), and the Absorbine Liniment, but after putting it on my horse, he went crazy! Started running in circles and pawing cuz...well, I guess he felt so super good and tingly! lol.

[ 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Imagine That ]

I've always known to put the linament on all over their legs with a sponge after a work out and being washed down/ walked out... or just cooled off in anyway. I guess you really don't have to cool them even if they need it before putting the linament on. Like imagine that said linament is like a muscle relaxer... Wearing rubber gloves wouldn't hurt. [smile]

I've always known to put the linament on all over their legs with a sponge after a work out and being washed down/ walked out... or just cooled off in anyway. I guess you really don't have to cool them even if they need it before putting the linament on. Like imagine that said linament is like a muscle relaxer... Wearing rubber gloves wouldn't hurt. [smile]

I like Blue Heat or Blue Lotion. My chiro lady got me started using those. It smells kinda like A535 and she uses it on whatever area she's worked on. It's warm at first then it goes cold. My Brute loves it, and Shorty hates it. I just slather it on and rub it in somewhat.

I like Blue Heat or Blue Lotion. My chiro lady got me started using those. It smells kinda like A535 and she uses it on whatever area she's worked on. It's warm at first then it goes cold. My Brute loves it, and Shorty hates it. I just slather it on and rub it in somewhat.

I use Sore No More. I place it on the back before I saddle and on the legs under my boots before riding. It is the only one that I know of that is safe to use before work under things without causing irritation.

After work I give them a rinse with Sore No More Massage Shampoo and a mild massage. Then afer they are rinsed I apply the regular Sore No More Liniment to any problem areas that need extra attention (hocks, stifles, ect).

Every horse I have used this on has LOVED it! I gave some for my dad to use while he was here a few weeks ago (he has bad knees and has undergone many sugeries on them but they still caue him pain when they are stiff). He was really pleased with the way Sore No More worked on his knees he just ordered a Gallon of it just for him!

I buy mine by the gallon from KV Vet and with daily use it lasts me about a year or more (approx $70 for a gallon). I also check out the website for Sore No More as they often have web specials. That is how I get the shampoo (buy one get one free offers).

Sore No More is also safe to use under PHT Magnets as well. My mare gets really nervous and she tends to go out quite a bit at the poll. She really likes it when I put some Sore No More on her poll and then put on her halter with her PHT poll pac. She stays a lot more relaxed and it has helped her poll stay in better (that's what my chiro tells me).

If you have not used it I highley suggest trying it. I've used many of the other liniments out there on the market but needed something I could use before working my horse to help keep them from getting sore and this is the only product I've found so far.

I use Sore No More. I place it on the back before I saddle and on the legs under my boots before riding. It is the only one that I know of that is safe to use before work under things without causing irritation.

After work I give them a rinse with Sore No More Massage Shampoo and a mild massage. Then afer they are rinsed I apply the regular Sore No More Liniment to any problem areas that need extra attention (hocks, stifles, ect).

Every horse I have used this on has LOVED it! I gave some for my dad to use while he was here a few weeks ago (he has bad knees and has undergone many sugeries on them but they still caue him pain when they are stiff). He was really pleased with the way Sore No More worked on his knees he just ordered a Gallon of it just for him!

I buy mine by the gallon from KV Vet and with daily use it lasts me about a year or more (approx $70 for a gallon). I also check out the website for Sore No More as they often have web specials. That is how I get the shampoo (buy one get one free offers).

Sore No More is also safe to use under PHT Magnets as well. My mare gets really nervous and she tends to go out quite a bit at the poll. She really likes it when I put some Sore No More on her poll and then put on her halter with her PHT poll pac. She stays a lot more relaxed and it has helped her poll stay in better (that's what my chiro tells me).

If you have not used it I highley suggest trying it. I've used many of the other liniments out there on the market but needed something I could use before working my horse to help keep them from getting sore and this is the only product I've found so far.

I've used the absorbine stuff and rather like it... It does go fast, and its too expensive to use all over, but it works well... If my mares stiff (which she was for awhile when I first got her... overworked her a tad right then) I can put it on her joints and main tendons and come back an hour later, she'll be fine and ready to run.

Something I didn't like about it was that it's hard to use with rubber gloves because it's so slimy-like and falls off the gloves... so I always use it barehanded, which meant about 5 minutes after first contact, my hands were going numb and ice cold to anyone elses touch but felt hot to me... not uncomfortable, but annoying. Sometimes it made my hands twitch, which was really weird.

I've used the absorbine stuff and rather like it... It does go fast, and its too expensive to use all over, but it works well... If my mares stiff (which she was for awhile when I first got her... overworked her a tad right then) I can put it on her joints and main tendons and come back an hour later, she'll be fine and ready to run.

Something I didn't like about it was that it's hard to use with rubber gloves because it's so slimy-like and falls off the gloves... so I always use it barehanded, which meant about 5 minutes after first contact, my hands were going numb and ice cold to anyone elses touch but felt hot to me... not uncomfortable, but annoying. Sometimes it made my hands twitch, which was really weird.

The bath is awesome but if you want a rub you just go to WalMart and get a huge tub of BLUE ICE for like $5-$10 bucks (in the human section [Wink] ), works the same as all those fancy ones for horses. No wraps with linament, please!!! And the rubber gloves are a god send when rubbin' your horses down, too. The yhave those at WalMart as well: medical section.

Good Luck [big Grin]

[ 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

The bath is awesome but if you want a rub you just go to WalMart and get a huge tub of BLUE ICE for like $5-$10 bucks (in the human section [Wink] ), works the same as all those fancy ones for horses. No wraps with linament, please!!! And the rubber gloves are a god send when rubbin' your horses down, too. The yhave those at WalMart as well: medical section.

Good Luck [big Grin]

[ 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

I used to have Tendonoil? (I can't remember what it was, lol) But it came in a plastic squishy bottle with the lid on the bottom. It was green and white..

I have a nerve disorder that causes chronic pain, but I put that stuff on wherever it hurts, and it feels great! My horse loves it, too. And the best thing about it to me, is that it doesn't burn your hands and has no nasty smells.

I used to have Tendonoil? (I can't remember what it was, lol) But it came in a plastic squishy bottle with the lid on the bottom. It was green and white..

I have a nerve disorder that causes chronic pain, but I put that stuff on wherever it hurts, and it feels great! My horse loves it, too. And the best thing about it to me, is that it doesn't burn your hands and has no nasty smells.

K thanks every1 [Not Worthy] And don't worry, I KNOW not to wrap it with linament! (read too many horror stories about it [Eek!] )

fhchik06: that's weird. my hands were just the opposite. They felt icy to me, but hot to everyone else. [Eek!]

K thanks every1 [Not Worthy] And don't worry, I KNOW not to wrap it with linament! (read too many horror stories about it [Eek!] )

fhchik06: that's weird. my hands were just the opposite. They felt icy to me, but hot to everyone else. [Eek!]