Sign in to follow this  
r_beau

So skinny! Is there anything I can do?

I have a 7 year old, 16.1 hh, breeding stock paint horse that just really seems to have trouble keeping weight on him this year. I've never really had a problem with him. He's never been a total easy keeper, but he usualy held his weight. He is out on pasture pretty much 24/7 and gets some grain after I ride him (as a treat). I hate to actually be graining him as food b/c his dropping are runny the way it is. I don't think feed would help that any. He gets ridden about every other day or more and usually for about 4 miles each time with about 2 miles walking a mile of trotting and a mile of galloping.

He's up to date with his deworming but I;ve just been wondering if I should give him another one anyway? We usually only deworm the horses in the spring and fall b/c worms really aren't a problem for us.

So does anything come to mind that I can do to help him put on weight?

Also, he recently (on the 14th) got a very very small puncture wound on his left cannon bone that made his entire leg swell up. I gave him a shot of penecilen a few days after the fact (I had to leave for a rodeo so I couldn't be home to take care of him. He was supposed to come with me but the whole swollen leg thing doesn't work to carry flags!!) His knee and ankle are still slightly swollen and the area directly around the small puncture is still swollen. And it's not a squishy-type swollen. It's a hard swollen. The actual wound is not deep and I tried to see if there was anything still stuck in it and it looked clean. LIke I said, it's very small, maybe about a centimeter long and 1/2 a centemeter wide. Is there anything in particular I should be doing with that to help the swelling??

Thanks in advance [smiley Wavey]

I have a 7 year old, 16.1 hh, breeding stock paint horse that just really seems to have trouble keeping weight on him this year. I've never really had a problem with him. He's never been a total easy keeper, but he usualy held his weight. He is out on pasture pretty much 24/7 and gets some grain after I ride him (as a treat). I hate to actually be graining him as food b/c his dropping are runny the way it is. I don't think feed would help that any. He gets ridden about every other day or more and usually for about 4 miles each time with about 2 miles walking a mile of trotting and a mile of galloping.

He's up to date with his deworming but I;ve just been wondering if I should give him another one anyway? We usually only deworm the horses in the spring and fall b/c worms really aren't a problem for us.

So does anything come to mind that I can do to help him put on weight?

Also, he recently (on the 14th) got a very very small puncture wound on his left cannon bone that made his entire leg swell up. I gave him a shot of penecilen a few days after the fact (I had to leave for a rodeo so I couldn't be home to take care of him. He was supposed to come with me but the whole swollen leg thing doesn't work to carry flags!!) His knee and ankle are still slightly swollen and the area directly around the small puncture is still swollen. And it's not a squishy-type swollen. It's a hard swollen. The actual wound is not deep and I tried to see if there was anything still stuck in it and it looked clean. LIke I said, it's very small, maybe about a centimeter long and 1/2 a centemeter wide. Is there anything in particular I should be doing with that to help the swelling??

Thanks in advance [smiley Wavey]

When was the last time you wormed for tapeworms?

Also when was the last time he had his teeth worked on? HOw long has he had the runs? Could be some stomach problems. I would get the vet out, sounds like it could be something kind of serious.

When was the last time you wormed for tapeworms?

Also when was the last time he had his teeth worked on? HOw long has he had the runs? Could be some stomach problems. I would get the vet out, sounds like it could be something kind of serious.

I'll have to check the label exactly of the dewormer we used to find out what exactly it covered.

I've never had his teeth worked on. Like I said, he's never had a weight problem until these last couple of months.

I thought his runs were just from the green grass when it first greeend up in like June. It gets worse and better off and on. The grass isn't so green anymore but it's still somewhat runny.

I'll have to check the label exactly of the dewormer we used to find out what exactly it covered.

I've never had his teeth worked on. Like I said, he's never had a weight problem until these last couple of months.

I thought his runs were just from the green grass when it first greeend up in like June. It gets worse and better off and on. The grass isn't so green anymore but it's still somewhat runny.

How long have you had this horse?

Has a veterinarian been out to assess his other injury?

They're two separate issues...and I'm not trying to be rude here...but I'm AM going to be blunt and honest.

1) Your horse's teeth should be checked at least once per year by your veterinarian or an equine dentist. Sometimes, no action is required, but oftentimes, adjustments DO need to be made. If a horse is unable to chew properly, he may go off his feed, or he may be unable to digest the food he DOES ingest because it hasn't been ground up. The digestive process starts in their mouth...if that step is missing, it's much more difficult to get adequate nutrition.

2) Also regarding the loose stools/weight...I would do 2 things; A) have your veterinarian out to do a blood profile and B) have them check a fecal sample. (and while the veterinarian is there, have him/her look at that leg.)

3) Until you handle 1 and 2 above, I wouldn't ride him, period.

Now, about the leg injury:

Firstly, giving one shot of penicillin is A) not terribly helpful and B) not the proper use of an antibiotic--it can create resistant strains.

With a puncture wound, you want to make sure that it heals from the inside out. If there is excessive swelling, it makes that process more difficult.

Here's what I would do...daily...

1) thoroughly wash the area with something like Nolvasan or HibiClens.

2) cold hose for 20 min 3 times a day.

3) pat dry, apply an insect repellant. Do not wrap/cover.

It usually takes a week to 10 days for this kind of thing to heal up. Normally, I would have my horse on an antibiotic as well during that time.

How long have you had this horse?

Has a veterinarian been out to assess his other injury?

They're two separate issues...and I'm not trying to be rude here...but I'm AM going to be blunt and honest.

1) Your horse's teeth should be checked at least once per year by your veterinarian or an equine dentist. Sometimes, no action is required, but oftentimes, adjustments DO need to be made. If a horse is unable to chew properly, he may go off his feed, or he may be unable to digest the food he DOES ingest because it hasn't been ground up. The digestive process starts in their mouth...if that step is missing, it's much more difficult to get adequate nutrition.

2) Also regarding the loose stools/weight...I would do 2 things; A) have your veterinarian out to do a blood profile and B) have them check a fecal sample. (and while the veterinarian is there, have him/her look at that leg.)

3) Until you handle 1 and 2 above, I wouldn't ride him, period.

Now, about the leg injury:

Firstly, giving one shot of penicillin is A) not terribly helpful and B) not the proper use of an antibiotic--it can create resistant strains.

With a puncture wound, you want to make sure that it heals from the inside out. If there is excessive swelling, it makes that process more difficult.

Here's what I would do...daily...

1) thoroughly wash the area with something like Nolvasan or HibiClens.

2) cold hose for 20 min 3 times a day.

3) pat dry, apply an insect repellant. Do not wrap/cover.

It usually takes a week to 10 days for this kind of thing to heal up. Normally, I would have my horse on an antibiotic as well during that time.

I would bet that your horse has gastric ulcers. That could be one of the reasons that he is staying thin. I would have the vet look at the wound, but in the mean time I would clean it and then flush it out The put some antibiotics in it such as gentamicin. You might also want to get some Probiotics which will help with the loose stools.

I would bet that your horse has gastric ulcers. That could be one of the reasons that he is staying thin. I would have the vet look at the wound, but in the mean time I would clean it and then flush it out The put some antibiotics in it such as gentamicin. You might also want to get some Probiotics which will help with the loose stools.

Has your horse had his tetanus vaccination? I would talk to a vet if he hasn't.

Then, get his teeth checked. If you've never had them worked on, he's going to need it.

Then, have your vet do a fecal and make sure he's not wormy.

I would also check for ulcers - and then, I would look at giving him grain. If he's not able to maintain his weight on pasture alone, you are going to -have- to grain him.

Has your horse had his tetanus vaccination? I would talk to a vet if he hasn't.

Then, get his teeth checked. If you've never had them worked on, he's going to need it.

Then, have your vet do a fecal and make sure he's not wormy.

I would also check for ulcers - and then, I would look at giving him grain. If he's not able to maintain his weight on pasture alone, you are going to -have- to grain him.

As someone else stated with puncture wounds it is VERY important to keep it open and heal from the inside out. Your horse could still have an abcess but because the top has healed over the infection has nowhere to go but deep. Have the vet come out and see if they can aspirate any fluid. Is there a scab over the puncture wound? If so see if you can soak the area and get the scab off to see if any pus comes out. Using antibiotics randomly is useless and as some also stated it can cause the organism to become resistant. If there is any drainage they may need to do a culture. Your horse may be getting septic from an infection.

[ 07-22-2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Bess ]

As someone else stated with puncture wounds it is VERY important to keep it open and heal from the inside out. Your horse could still have an abcess but because the top has healed over the infection has nowhere to go but deep. Have the vet come out and see if they can aspirate any fluid. Is there a scab over the puncture wound? If so see if you can soak the area and get the scab off to see if any pus comes out. Using antibiotics randomly is useless and as some also stated it can cause the organism to become resistant. If there is any drainage they may need to do a culture. Your horse may be getting septic from an infection.

[ 07-22-2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Bess ]

I whole heartedly agree with BuddyRoo.

I suggest you take him in for a thorough physical - a blood panel, a fecal, a dental check, looking at the leg, etc.

His "droppings" should not be runny (assuming it IS from grass) anymore.

AND - you ARE riding a decent amount. If his teeth turn out to be fine and the fecal comes back good, he may just need more groceries.

I whole heartedly agree with BuddyRoo.

I suggest you take him in for a thorough physical - a blood panel, a fecal, a dental check, looking at the leg, etc.

His "droppings" should not be runny (assuming it IS from grass) anymore.

AND - you ARE riding a decent amount. If his teeth turn out to be fine and the fecal comes back good, he may just need more groceries.

audrey: He was dewormed for tapeworms this spring, around March.

BuddyRoo: We've had him since he was 6 months old. I'm looking around for a good equine dentist to work on him ... and for the best price. [Roll Eyes] money always seems to get in the way ...

The wound is doing good. The swelling in his knee and ankle is completely gone. It's still only slightly swollen directly around the wound. It hsn't oozed for the last 5 days and I've been letting the cold water from the hose run on it for about 10 minutes whenever I bring him home from the pasture. I can press on the wound as hard as I want and he shows no sign as pain like he did before.

I rode him lightly on Saturday. It's the first time I rode him since I discovered his wound on the 14th. It was hot, so we mostly walked.

As far as the weight issue, he's looking a little better. From observation the last fews days, his stool is no longer runny so that's good. He's still underweight but i've been giving him some grain and I'm ging to start giving him some hay along with his pasture grazing, once I get a bale put in the corral.

audrey: He was dewormed for tapeworms this spring, around March.

BuddyRoo: We've had him since he was 6 months old. I'm looking around for a good equine dentist to work on him ... and for the best price. [Roll Eyes] money always seems to get in the way ...

The wound is doing good. The swelling in his knee and ankle is completely gone. It's still only slightly swollen directly around the wound. It hsn't oozed for the last 5 days and I've been letting the cold water from the hose run on it for about 10 minutes whenever I bring him home from the pasture. I can press on the wound as hard as I want and he shows no sign as pain like he did before.

I rode him lightly on Saturday. It's the first time I rode him since I discovered his wound on the 14th. It was hot, so we mostly walked.

As far as the weight issue, he's looking a little better. From observation the last fews days, his stool is no longer runny so that's good. He's still underweight but i've been giving him some grain and I'm ging to start giving him some hay along with his pasture grazing, once I get a bale put in the corral.

Hey Brit!

Dr. Greg at Southwood in Jamestown does teeth. He did Jake's some time ago. And, it didn't break the bank. I can't remember how much it was, but the amount didn't kill my husband so it must not have been too big a deal! [big Grin]

Hey Brit!

Dr. Greg at Southwood in Jamestown does teeth. He did Jake's some time ago. And, it didn't break the bank. I can't remember how much it was, but the amount didn't kill my husband so it must not have been too big a deal! [big Grin]