Sign in to follow this  
echick1014

Old Feed when is it to old?

Well I was wondering how old is to old for feed? It is a pelleted supplement that we have fed before but we found a bag in the barn. . Anyone know affects of old feed or anything about it? I tried searching on the internet but didnt find anything.

Well I was wondering how old is to old for feed? It is a pelleted supplement that we have fed before but we found a bag in the barn. . Anyone know affects of old feed or anything about it? I tried searching on the internet but didnt find anything.

Well, if stored properly (ie out of the heat, moisture, etc) I would say up to a year or so.

However, for some feeds that have oil in them, they go rancid.

Usually, if you've fed the stuff before, or if you have a newer bag lying around, you can tell if it's still okay visually and by the sniff test. Does it look/smell like the new stuff? If not, I'd throw it out.

Also, regarding supplements...the active ingredients do have a shelf life...just like human vitamins and such. It may not HURT your horse to feed them, but it may not help much either.

Well, if stored properly (ie out of the heat, moisture, etc) I would say up to a year or so.

However, for some feeds that have oil in them, they go rancid.

Usually, if you've fed the stuff before, or if you have a newer bag lying around, you can tell if it's still okay visually and by the sniff test. Does it look/smell like the new stuff? If not, I'd throw it out.

Also, regarding supplements...the active ingredients do have a shelf life...just like human vitamins and such. It may not HURT your horse to feed them, but it may not help much either.

ok well its show bloom but I will be feeding it to my cattle. But I think I am just going to throw it out like i originally wanted to! My mom and brother are sayings its ok but I dont think it will give me any purpose to feed it to my show heifers b/c the fact that the active ingrediants probably wont be as potent... SO THANKS!

ok well its show bloom but I will be feeding it to my cattle. But I think I am just going to throw it out like i originally wanted to! My mom and brother are sayings its ok but I dont think it will give me any purpose to feed it to my show heifers b/c the fact that the active ingrediants probably wont be as potent... SO THANKS!