Sign in to follow this  
mandi more27

Ok all you horse experts! (Controversial) Bareback-safe for horses?

quote:

Originally posted by haute_ecole:

It all depends - I have bruised my bottom riding bareback on a couple of occasions (my OTTB tripped and dropped out from under me - we reconnected with an audible thump - I can only assume that his back was as affronted as my nether parts - and I sat down rather gingerly for a few days). This has never happened to me riding in a saddle. One of my andalusians is so sensitive in his back that he hates to be ridden without a saddle - his back twitches non-stop whenever I try. My OTTB's have always seemed to enjoyed it. Horses (as well as people) have different opinions, likes, dislikes and preferences. So, it all depends...

I so agree with that. If you are riding bareback and your butt starts to heut, the horses back is probably starting to hurt.

Same goes with hands, if your hands hurt after riding your horse, then your horses mouth probably hurts too.

quote:

Originally posted by haute_ecole:

It all depends - I have bruised my bottom riding bareback on a couple of occasions (my OTTB tripped and dropped out from under me - we reconnected with an audible thump - I can only assume that his back was as affronted as my nether parts - and I sat down rather gingerly for a few days). This has never happened to me riding in a saddle. One of my andalusians is so sensitive in his back that he hates to be ridden without a saddle - his back twitches non-stop whenever I try. My OTTB's have always seemed to enjoyed it. Horses (as well as people) have different opinions, likes, dislikes and preferences. So, it all depends...

I so agree with that. If you are riding bareback and your butt starts to heut, the horses back is probably starting to hurt.

Same goes with hands, if your hands hurt after riding your horse, then your horses mouth probably hurts too.

LOL i'm sorry but...people think this is important? That riding bareback is harmful so we must refrain? I'm right beside that cowboy Merry was talking about, scratchin my head and wondering what the fuss is about. Mountain outta a molehill folks. You all are living in a different world than me. I leave my horses outside when it's below zero, i don't own winter blankets, i let my horses eat snow, i haul them saddled, and i ride them on ROCKS! [Eek!] But i sure as hel...heck don't worry about riding them bareback.

HTTY and GBTUSA

Bumper

LOL i'm sorry but...people think this is important? That riding bareback is harmful so we must refrain? I'm right beside that cowboy Merry was talking about, scratchin my head and wondering what the fuss is about. Mountain outta a molehill folks. You all are living in a different world than me. I leave my horses outside when it's below zero, i don't own winter blankets, i let my horses eat snow, i haul them saddled, and i ride them on ROCKS! [Eek!] But i sure as hel...heck don't worry about riding them bareback.

HTTY and GBTUSA

Bumper

Tuper I really think that flames aren't productive and I personally don't appreciate non productive info.

but thanks anyway.

Tuper I really think that flames aren't productive and I personally don't appreciate non productive info.

but thanks anyway.

I have nothing better to talk about...I've just heard it slung around so much-the "bareback is good", no "bareback is bad"-that I started to wonder what the heck was right and what was wrong...sorry for being curious [Roll Eyes][Yay]

I have nothing better to talk about...I've just heard it slung around so much-the "bareback is good", no "bareback is bad"-that I started to wonder what the heck was right and what was wrong...sorry for being curious [Roll Eyes][Yay]

quote:

just think back for a while the indians rode horses bareback for years and none of their horses where sore in the back

Just curious if you could quote your "source" for THAT bit of fact.

Actually, I agree, a well-balanced rider riding bareback is probably not a problem, and the Indians' horses probably did just fine . . . .but you've stated your assumption that "NONE of their horses were sore in the back" (CAPS mine) as a statement of fact, and that bugs me.

Snuggle

quote:

just think back for a while the indians rode horses bareback for years and none of their horses where sore in the back

Just curious if you could quote your "source" for THAT bit of fact.

Actually, I agree, a well-balanced rider riding bareback is probably not a problem, and the Indians' horses probably did just fine . . . .but you've stated your assumption that "NONE of their horses were sore in the back" (CAPS mine) as a statement of fact, and that bugs me.

Snuggle

It all depends on the horse.

The horse will tell you if it hurts or if they dont like it!

My mare we cant ride bareback because she is way to sensitive, but then there is Cody who LOVES to be ridden bareback... so it depends on the horse!

It all depends on the horse.

The horse will tell you if it hurts or if they dont like it!

My mare we cant ride bareback because she is way to sensitive, but then there is Cody who LOVES to be ridden bareback... so it depends on the horse!

Really you need to research on when and why people started using saddles. Case in point during the middle ages it was found that you could not wield a weapon very effectively without a saddle. Original saddles did not have stirrups. The knights found that they couldn't use a lance without them (or at least is was very ineffective without them). If you look at how a horses back is formed then you are correct in that they were not built for riding but more for pulling. Along that line a back that was build to carring is the bovine (cow). It's ironic that we have historically used a horse for riding and a cow (ox) for pulling. Go figure.

Really you need to research on when and why people started using saddles. Case in point during the middle ages it was found that you could not wield a weapon very effectively without a saddle. Original saddles did not have stirrups. The knights found that they couldn't use a lance without them (or at least is was very ineffective without them). If you look at how a horses back is formed then you are correct in that they were not built for riding but more for pulling. Along that line a back that was build to carring is the bovine (cow). It's ironic that we have historically used a horse for riding and a cow (ox) for pulling. Go figure.

I think it depends on the rider. The two biggest factors are weight and balance.

An overweight rider on a horse bareback is not fun or safe for either. A VERY well fitted saddle will even out the weight and make the rider easier to carry. On the flipside, a poorly fitted saddle with an overweight rider would be even worse than bareback because it would concentrate the pressure even more! A horse should not carry more than 20% of his own bodyweight, so riders should be considerate and buy/lease/ride a horse well suited to their size and weight.

On the other side is the unbalanced rider. This type of rider will be uncomfortable regardless of saddle or lack thereof! A rider who does not sit squarely, evenly, relaxed, and move WITh the horse is terribly uncomfrtable and cumbersome to carry. With a well-fitted saddle even, this won't help much. It might even make it wrose because it will give the rider a false sense of balance and make the horse's job harder. If an unbalanced rider is bareback they will most likely fall off lol.

I think a well balanced rider who is on a horse proportionate to his or her weight should ride however they prefer to. The most important thing is that if a saddle is ridden in, it must fit perfectly. Otherwise you're better off bareback. Saddles are not ALWAYs better than bareback. Ill-fitted saddles are 100 times worse.

I think it also depends on the horse. Some horses are more fluid and repsonsive without a saddle, while others tend to feel unbalanced or insecure without a saddle. I ride bareback on my horse al lthe time. MY saddle did not fit him well, and so I switched over. After a year of riding mostly bareback, and realizing how poorly my saddle fit, I did develope a medical condition called fibromyalgia that causes me great pain when I ride in a saddle. It hits all my pressure points and tender spots making every step the horse takes hard to bear. Only certain types of synthetic saddles are doable. Instead of searching out a saddle that was soft and okay for me to use, I decided to go all bareback. My horse does very poorly with any saddle. He gets wired, antsy, hyper-sensitive, and harder to communicate with. He really thrives on the least amount of tack possible. He doesn't even prefer a bridle on his face. Therefore it's best for us to go bareback. I am an appropriate size and weight for him, despite his small stature and weight. I have also been riding him a long time and learning about balance for years. He definitely lets me know if I'm off-center in the slightest degree!

I went to a Liz Graves clinic with Pitty last year and she made a good suggestion for those of us who ride bareback long term. She said riding bareback is wonderful, but if you plan on doing it for years, it's good to look into finding a way to distribute your weight more evenly. She suggested getting a bareback pad (which we already have. it's a nice leather one with a nylon girth and wool underside, etc..) and putting like a 4-inch wide strip (more or less, depending on the horse and pad) of non-porous foam on either side of where the pad touches the spine, just like the panelling of an English saddle. You can even use duct tape or velcro to put them on. This will distribute your weight and make it more comfy for the horse. Cashel also makes a softsaddle that is like a very spongy bareback pad. You can have them custom made as well. Either of these are alternatives for people who don't like saddles (for whatever reason) but want to save their horses backs.

[Jump]

I think it depends on the rider. The two biggest factors are weight and balance.

An overweight rider on a horse bareback is not fun or safe for either. A VERY well fitted saddle will even out the weight and make the rider easier to carry. On the flipside, a poorly fitted saddle with an overweight rider would be even worse than bareback because it would concentrate the pressure even more! A horse should not carry more than 20% of his own bodyweight, so riders should be considerate and buy/lease/ride a horse well suited to their size and weight.

On the other side is the unbalanced rider. This type of rider will be uncomfortable regardless of saddle or lack thereof! A rider who does not sit squarely, evenly, relaxed, and move WITh the horse is terribly uncomfrtable and cumbersome to carry. With a well-fitted saddle even, this won't help much. It might even make it wrose because it will give the rider a false sense of balance and make the horse's job harder. If an unbalanced rider is bareback they will most likely fall off lol.

I think a well balanced rider who is on a horse proportionate to his or her weight should ride however they prefer to. The most important thing is that if a saddle is ridden in, it must fit perfectly. Otherwise you're better off bareback. Saddles are not ALWAYs better than bareback. Ill-fitted saddles are 100 times worse.

I think it also depends on the horse. Some horses are more fluid and repsonsive without a saddle, while others tend to feel unbalanced or insecure without a saddle. I ride bareback on my horse al lthe time. MY saddle did not fit him well, and so I switched over. After a year of riding mostly bareback, and realizing how poorly my saddle fit, I did develope a medical condition called fibromyalgia that causes me great pain when I ride in a saddle. It hits all my pressure points and tender spots making every step the horse takes hard to bear. Only certain types of synthetic saddles are doable. Instead of searching out a saddle that was soft and okay for me to use, I decided to go all bareback. My horse does very poorly with any saddle. He gets wired, antsy, hyper-sensitive, and harder to communicate with. He really thrives on the least amount of tack possible. He doesn't even prefer a bridle on his face. Therefore it's best for us to go bareback. I am an appropriate size and weight for him, despite his small stature and weight. I have also been riding him a long time and learning about balance for years. He definitely lets me know if I'm off-center in the slightest degree!

I went to a Liz Graves clinic with Pitty last year and she made a good suggestion for those of us who ride bareback long term. She said riding bareback is wonderful, but if you plan on doing it for years, it's good to look into finding a way to distribute your weight more evenly. She suggested getting a bareback pad (which we already have. it's a nice leather one with a nylon girth and wool underside, etc..) and putting like a 4-inch wide strip (more or less, depending on the horse and pad) of non-porous foam on either side of where the pad touches the spine, just like the panelling of an English saddle. You can even use duct tape or velcro to put them on. This will distribute your weight and make it more comfy for the horse. Cashel also makes a softsaddle that is like a very spongy bareback pad. You can have them custom made as well. Either of these are alternatives for people who don't like saddles (for whatever reason) but want to save their horses backs.

[Jump]

I love barback, and it has put me to the test of my riding ability.

Halter...no saddle hehe thought i would take him on a little hack right after he was back from stall rest for a month [Roll Eyes] (NOT THE FIRST TIME I RODE HIM lol), basicly my horse took of in the feild, crowhoped bucked reared spun all the way arcross the feild! (big big feild) everything imanganable. but i held on, i was balanced and secure. If i had never ridden barback i could NOT have stayed on that, and riding barback has helped my balance in jumping as well as dressage. I cannot think of anything beter for muscle building/ balance. pluse my horsey likes it, although you really have to be carful on his back, somtimes he is to sensitive.

so i think its perfect, have never had my horse come up with a sore back from it. and i think its a great bonding experiance!

-Red [smiley Wavey]

I love barback, and it has put me to the test of my riding ability.

Halter...no saddle hehe thought i would take him on a little hack right after he was back from stall rest for a month [Roll Eyes] (NOT THE FIRST TIME I RODE HIM lol), basicly my horse took of in the feild, crowhoped bucked reared spun all the way arcross the feild! (big big feild) everything imanganable. but i held on, i was balanced and secure. If i had never ridden barback i could NOT have stayed on that, and riding barback has helped my balance in jumping as well as dressage. I cannot think of anything beter for muscle building/ balance. pluse my horsey likes it, although you really have to be carful on his back, somtimes he is to sensitive.

so i think its perfect, have never had my horse come up with a sore back from it. and i think its a great bonding experiance!

-Red [smiley Wavey]

I personally don't think bareback is a big issue, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

With bareback, you don't have to worry about the fitting, pinching, and placement of a saddle, or if the saddle moves, moves the skin along with it, and hurts the horse. If you're flopping around on the horse, then it's not safe for you, and it's probably hurting the horse's back. Then again, flopping around in the saddle isn't good either. So it goes both ways for me.

Even though bareback is dangerous, riding in the saddle is dangerous, as well. If you think about it, (IMO) bareback is safer because you have less of a chance of being dragged due to your foot being caught in the stirrup, the saddle slipping underneath your horse--or anywhere it's not supposed to be--so riding bareback ensures a safer fall because there's nothing to get caught on. You just. Fall. [Razz]

I don't really understand how bareback could be harmful to a horse's back besides bouncing tremendously, but I'm pretty neutral about this. [smile] Either way, I still ride Windie bareback. [big Grin]

I personally don't think bareback is a big issue, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

With bareback, you don't have to worry about the fitting, pinching, and placement of a saddle, or if the saddle moves, moves the skin along with it, and hurts the horse. If you're flopping around on the horse, then it's not safe for you, and it's probably hurting the horse's back. Then again, flopping around in the saddle isn't good either. So it goes both ways for me.

Even though bareback is dangerous, riding in the saddle is dangerous, as well. If you think about it, (IMO) bareback is safer because you have less of a chance of being dragged due to your foot being caught in the stirrup, the saddle slipping underneath your horse--or anywhere it's not supposed to be--so riding bareback ensures a safer fall because there's nothing to get caught on. You just. Fall. [Razz]

I don't really understand how bareback could be harmful to a horse's back besides bouncing tremendously, but I'm pretty neutral about this. [smile] Either way, I still ride Windie bareback. [big Grin]

Bumper Quote:

LOL i'm sorry but...people think this is important? That riding bareback is harmful so we must refrain? I'm right beside that cowboy Merry was talking about, scratchin my head and wondering what the fuss is about. Mountain outta a molehill folks. You all are living in a different world than me. I leave my horses outside when it's below zero, i don't own winter blankets, i let my horses eat snow, i haul them saddled, and i ride them on ROCKS! But i sure as hel...heck don't worry about riding them bareback.

ROFL!! [ROTFL] Bumper You are sooooo mean to your horses!!!! LOL! [big Grin]

I would like to know where I could ride "without" all those problems, and blankets, my horses hate them. I enjoy riding bareback at times... [Question]

Bumper Quote:

LOL i'm sorry but...people think this is important? That riding bareback is harmful so we must refrain? I'm right beside that cowboy Merry was talking about, scratchin my head and wondering what the fuss is about. Mountain outta a molehill folks. You all are living in a different world than me. I leave my horses outside when it's below zero, i don't own winter blankets, i let my horses eat snow, i haul them saddled, and i ride them on ROCKS! But i sure as hel...heck don't worry about riding them bareback.

ROFL!! [ROTFL] Bumper You are sooooo mean to your horses!!!! LOL! [big Grin]

I would like to know where I could ride "without" all those problems, and blankets, my horses hate them. I enjoy riding bareback at times... [Question]

Riding a horse bareback does not hurt them!!

My horses saddles fit them perfectly and I have been riding them bareback for as long as I have had them I learned to ride bareback!! [Mad] Why does everyone all the sudden think that it hurts horses?!?!?! It probobly does for alll you city people that don't know how to ride without a saddle! This is just stupid!!! But it is funny that you people think it hurts them!! LOL!

My horses saddles fit them perfectly and I have been riding them bareback for as long as I have had them I learned to ride bareback!! [Mad] Why does everyone all the sudden think that it hurts horses?!?!?! It probobly does for alll you city people that don't know how to ride without a saddle! This is just stupid!!! But it is funny that you people think it hurts them!! LOL!

quote:

Originally posted by MaGiC ApPy:

My horses saddles fit them perfectly and I have been riding them bareback for as long as I have had them I learned to ride bareback!!
[Mad]
Why does everyone all the sudden think that it hurts horses?!?!?! It probobly does for alll you city people that don't know how to ride without a saddle! This is just stupid!!! But it is funny that you people think it hurts them!! LOL!

lol That was state-ist. lol. Or. Uh. Country vs. city-ist. [Razz] I'm from the city, but now I live in the middle of no where down hurr in FLA. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by MaGiC ApPy:

My horses saddles fit them perfectly and I have been riding them bareback for as long as I have had them I learned to ride bareback!!
[Mad]
Why does everyone all the sudden think that it hurts horses?!?!?! It probobly does for alll you city people that don't know how to ride without a saddle! This is just stupid!!! But it is funny that you people think it hurts them!! LOL!

lol That was state-ist. lol. Or. Uh. Country vs. city-ist. [Razz] I'm from the city, but now I live in the middle of no where down hurr in FLA. [big Grin]