Sign in to follow this  

Fly Allergies?? (Pics Inside) What works???

Why is it the horse with the darkest coat color at my place (5 other horses total, 2 sorrels, blood bay, grey, and palomino) has the biggest problems with flies! My yearling has what looks like fly allergies to me. He is super itchy and I don't know what else to try, currently I am using fly traps, regular fly spraying, fly mask (sheets won't help much do to where the flies are getting him), cleaning pens everyday, and a natural feed through supplement "Bug Check". I feel terrible for him and don't know what else to try. I live in Southern CA so the flies rarely go away. I put him out in the pasture today, which I usually don't because I don't like him to wear his fly mask out there, and can't spray him as well out there, and I went to check on him and I feel like all the work I've done to help him got trashed in one afternoon [bang Head] Will he grow out of it ever? I am going crazy tring to help him, please help! TIA

--

Why is it the horse with the darkest coat color at my place (5 other horses total, 2 sorrels, blood bay, grey, and palomino) has the biggest problems with flies! My yearling has what looks like fly allergies to me. He is super itchy and I don't know what else to try, currently I am using fly traps, regular fly spraying, fly mask (sheets won't help much do to where the flies are getting him), cleaning pens everyday, and a natural feed through supplement "Bug Check". I feel terrible for him and don't know what else to try. I live in Southern CA so the flies rarely go away. I put him out in the pasture today, which I usually don't because I don't like him to wear his fly mask out there, and can't spray him as well out there, and I went to check on him and I feel like all the work I've done to help him got trashed in one afternoon [bang Head] Will he grow out of it ever? I am going crazy tring to help him, please help! TIA

--

I'm not real sure but looks like it might be an allergy to the bites. I also wonder if it isn't turning into some kind of fungus as well. It appears to look a bit flakey sort of, but that might just be from scratching and the healing of the bites. Don't quote me on that. Young horses usually do out grow this, but it may be another year or two before that happens. Sometimes longer sometimes not that long. I don't know if spraying will actually help this horse for any length of time. Perhaps a fly sheet that covers the belly, along with the leg and neck covers and fly bonnet might help minimize exposure to the flies. What about the spot on fly stuff (kinda like they have for dogs, only this is for horses), don't know how well that works tho. Have you tried the fly predators? I've heard good things about them. However, you are suppose to start using them at the beginning of fly season. But if you always have flies it might be alright to use now...I don't know. Poor thing, it even looks itchy to me. It's hard for me to say, as you will have different kinds of flies than I do where I live, here in Canada. My biggest problem bug wise is horseflies, gnats and mosquito's, and the first two are almost done their cycle and are tapering off already. I think there are leg bands for flies too, might be worth a try. Wish I could help more.

I'm not real sure but looks like it might be an allergy to the bites. I also wonder if it isn't turning into some kind of fungus as well. It appears to look a bit flakey sort of, but that might just be from scratching and the healing of the bites. Don't quote me on that. Young horses usually do out grow this, but it may be another year or two before that happens. Sometimes longer sometimes not that long. I don't know if spraying will actually help this horse for any length of time. Perhaps a fly sheet that covers the belly, along with the leg and neck covers and fly bonnet might help minimize exposure to the flies. What about the spot on fly stuff (kinda like they have for dogs, only this is for horses), don't know how well that works tho. Have you tried the fly predators? I've heard good things about them. However, you are suppose to start using them at the beginning of fly season. But if you always have flies it might be alright to use now...I don't know. Poor thing, it even looks itchy to me. It's hard for me to say, as you will have different kinds of flies than I do where I live, here in Canada. My biggest problem bug wise is horseflies, gnats and mosquito's, and the first two are almost done their cycle and are tapering off already. I think there are leg bands for flies too, might be worth a try. Wish I could help more.

Petsmart's website has horsey stuff on it. Some sheets and some of the spot on topical stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but am planning on it for my gelding who is on pasture 24-7. If you have access to a barn/stall you might stall him during the day and turn out at night. You'll still need to spray and all that but it seems to me that around here the only thing you have to contend with is the mosquito population at night. If he has a stall you might also try to screen in the open areas so that the flies can't get in. It depends on your layout, though. But if the stall is screened so at least a minimum of flies can get in, he'll at least have a haven someplace.

Petsmart's website has horsey stuff on it. Some sheets and some of the spot on topical stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but am planning on it for my gelding who is on pasture 24-7. If you have access to a barn/stall you might stall him during the day and turn out at night. You'll still need to spray and all that but it seems to me that around here the only thing you have to contend with is the mosquito population at night. If he has a stall you might also try to screen in the open areas so that the flies can't get in. It depends on your layout, though. But if the stall is screened so at least a minimum of flies can get in, he'll at least have a haven someplace.

I have a 14 year old TB Gelding who breaks out in hives from too many/certain kind of fly bite. We asked our Vet and she said to give him Benegryl(sp?), I think we gave him like 6 of them, lol. It works!

I have a 14 year old TB Gelding who breaks out in hives from too many/certain kind of fly bite. We asked our Vet and she said to give him Benegryl(sp?), I think we gave him like 6 of them, lol. It works!

Diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl) helps with a histamine response. You can try that. It may also help to use a drug to block the histamine response in conjunction with a repellant product.

Diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl) helps with a histamine response. You can try that. It may also help to use a drug to block the histamine response in conjunction with a repellant product.

Are you sure that they are not having a reaction to the fly spray, or the feed through? Have you used the same brand of fly spray all along, or the same brand of feed through, if you have changed brands on those maybe that is the allergy source. Is it possible they were stung by bees or hornets?

Just some thoughts.

Are you sure that they are not having a reaction to the fly spray, or the feed through? Have you used the same brand of fly spray all along, or the same brand of feed through, if you have changed brands on those maybe that is the allergy source. Is it possible they were stung by bees or hornets?

Just some thoughts.

It looks like hives to me. MY horse went through this earlier in the year adn we thought it was rain rot, then fly bite allergy, then finally figured out that he got it a week after we cahnged foods and so we took him off the food, had a vet out ,adn determined that it was a food allergy and it was hives. After taking him off the food he recovered in like two weeks. No scars or anything! the vet suggested prednizone to get his immune system tarted, but we tried him without a steroid and he was fine all by himself. This had gone on for like 3 weeks and we still had no idea what it was and i'd spent almost $200 in various treatments. I'd get the vet out to take a look. It mgiht be an allergy to a hay, feed, insect, plant, or anything. You're right, black skinned horses generally do not have skin sensitivities as much (that's what FINALLY got me to discover Pitty had hives -- he's bay and had never had a fungus for more than a week). Try to write down when this happened and what, if any, changes occurred around the same time. This can be anything from new tack to feed or hay or supplements. Even fly control supplements such as Simplifly or Equitrol, and purge or daily dewormers. Horses can have reactions just like people! One main reason you need to know is that hives can cause a horse to go into respiratory arrest if it's severe enough!

It does kind of have a fungus like appearance, hence my suggestion of having the vet out. They can determine what it is. If it's hives, then you can go through diagnostics, or if they say it's fungus, you can get started on the appropriate treatment plan.

In the meantime try to listen to your horse adn figure out what's up! I would not reccomend any new treatments until you have a handle on what it is exactly. You don't want to go through all the money, wasted time, and pain like I did!

Good luck! Call the vet!

[smiley Wavey]

It looks like hives to me. MY horse went through this earlier in the year adn we thought it was rain rot, then fly bite allergy, then finally figured out that he got it a week after we cahnged foods and so we took him off the food, had a vet out ,adn determined that it was a food allergy and it was hives. After taking him off the food he recovered in like two weeks. No scars or anything! the vet suggested prednizone to get his immune system tarted, but we tried him without a steroid and he was fine all by himself. This had gone on for like 3 weeks and we still had no idea what it was and i'd spent almost $200 in various treatments. I'd get the vet out to take a look. It mgiht be an allergy to a hay, feed, insect, plant, or anything. You're right, black skinned horses generally do not have skin sensitivities as much (that's what FINALLY got me to discover Pitty had hives -- he's bay and had never had a fungus for more than a week). Try to write down when this happened and what, if any, changes occurred around the same time. This can be anything from new tack to feed or hay or supplements. Even fly control supplements such as Simplifly or Equitrol, and purge or daily dewormers. Horses can have reactions just like people! One main reason you need to know is that hives can cause a horse to go into respiratory arrest if it's severe enough!

It does kind of have a fungus like appearance, hence my suggestion of having the vet out. They can determine what it is. If it's hives, then you can go through diagnostics, or if they say it's fungus, you can get started on the appropriate treatment plan.

In the meantime try to listen to your horse adn figure out what's up! I would not reccomend any new treatments until you have a handle on what it is exactly. You don't want to go through all the money, wasted time, and pain like I did!

Good luck! Call the vet!

[smiley Wavey]

He has had this problem for about 3 months, and I can see the flies crawling all over him (worse than the other horses)so that is what made me think fly allergies. He normally is in a 24 x 36 corral with overhead, so no access to odd plants, but does go out to pasture occasionally, I just haven't had any problems with the horses who are on the pasture 24/7, and the problem still persists even when he stays in his corral for weeks. I am not riding him (obviously) so it couldn't be a tack reaction. There were no signs of it when I first got him in December and he is on the same feed, and now that his thick baby coat is gone the flies can bite him easier. The Feed through supplement was introduced after the sores hoping it would detour the flies and give him a chance to heal up. It's all "natural", no pesticides/drugs. But who knows. Thanks a lot for all the tips, I was wondering about giving him Benedryl, glad to know others have tried it. I'll give the vet a call as well. Thanks again,

I'm going to go [Crazy] dealing with this...

[Wink]

He has had this problem for about 3 months, and I can see the flies crawling all over him (worse than the other horses)so that is what made me think fly allergies. He normally is in a 24 x 36 corral with overhead, so no access to odd plants, but does go out to pasture occasionally, I just haven't had any problems with the horses who are on the pasture 24/7, and the problem still persists even when he stays in his corral for weeks. I am not riding him (obviously) so it couldn't be a tack reaction. There were no signs of it when I first got him in December and he is on the same feed, and now that his thick baby coat is gone the flies can bite him easier. The Feed through supplement was introduced after the sores hoping it would detour the flies and give him a chance to heal up. It's all "natural", no pesticides/drugs. But who knows. Thanks a lot for all the tips, I was wondering about giving him Benedryl, glad to know others have tried it. I'll give the vet a call as well. Thanks again,

I'm going to go [Crazy] dealing with this...

[Wink]

My friends bay QH is terribly allergic to flies. She gets welt 5 times the size of your horses, rubbs her mane out, the whole 9 yards. She has to put her in the barn during the day with big fans mounted with bungee cords to keep air movement in the barn so the flies can't land on her...ofcourse some still do. She had to call the vet so eversince last summer she has been under vet care and she give her shots of cortisone and it helps her not itch so bad. She does use Benadryl too, I think when she is bad but not THAT bad. Then she puts her in an outside stall at night once the flies have gone away.

Good luck...my horse got bad welts a week or so ago on her neck and chest. I bought her a Robin's Hood from Kv Vet and she does fine with it, it helps. Also, not sure if you saw my post a week or so ago. I found the BEST fly spray ever! It's called Pyranha Insecticide spray. You only use 2 oz per head as it is very strong. Spray lightly over softer areas with not as much hair (ie: chest, arm pits, etc) but I wouldn't recommend using it on the face as it could blister the skin. But it is the BEST stuff around and lasts all day! Makes horse silky too cause it has conditioners in it. I have a throne for my spray bottle and the GALLON jug I just bought. [big Grin] I have tried EVERYTHING in fly spray and this stuff WORKS!

Good luck! [Huggy]

Edited to add: Also a liquid called Basic H helps with everything! It organic and VERY MILD. You can get stains out of clothes with it, use on humans for bug bites, etc...even horses! It is VERY MILD but has just the right ingredients to always do the trick...here is the link, you have to order it as it is no an item that is in stores. My grandpa uses it for EVERYTHING. He reminds me of the dad in MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING who would put WINDEX on everything, LOL...that is how he is with his Basic H...and it works! Just a thought [smile]

Basic H

Scroll down on the site and it's there, there is also an Adobe doc that you can click on called "Product Info Sheet"..that tells alot of info too [smile]

[ 07-23-2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

My friends bay QH is terribly allergic to flies. She gets welt 5 times the size of your horses, rubbs her mane out, the whole 9 yards. She has to put her in the barn during the day with big fans mounted with bungee cords to keep air movement in the barn so the flies can't land on her...ofcourse some still do. She had to call the vet so eversince last summer she has been under vet care and she give her shots of cortisone and it helps her not itch so bad. She does use Benadryl too, I think when she is bad but not THAT bad. Then she puts her in an outside stall at night once the flies have gone away.

Good luck...my horse got bad welts a week or so ago on her neck and chest. I bought her a Robin's Hood from Kv Vet and she does fine with it, it helps. Also, not sure if you saw my post a week or so ago. I found the BEST fly spray ever! It's called Pyranha Insecticide spray. You only use 2 oz per head as it is very strong. Spray lightly over softer areas with not as much hair (ie: chest, arm pits, etc) but I wouldn't recommend using it on the face as it could blister the skin. But it is the BEST stuff around and lasts all day! Makes horse silky too cause it has conditioners in it. I have a throne for my spray bottle and the GALLON jug I just bought. [big Grin] I have tried EVERYTHING in fly spray and this stuff WORKS!

Good luck! [Huggy]

Edited to add: Also a liquid called Basic H helps with everything! It organic and VERY MILD. You can get stains out of clothes with it, use on humans for bug bites, etc...even horses! It is VERY MILD but has just the right ingredients to always do the trick...here is the link, you have to order it as it is no an item that is in stores. My grandpa uses it for EVERYTHING. He reminds me of the dad in MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING who would put WINDEX on everything, LOL...that is how he is with his Basic H...and it works! Just a thought [smile]

Basic H

Scroll down on the site and it's there, there is also an Adobe doc that you can click on called "Product Info Sheet"..that tells alot of info too [smile]

[ 07-23-2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

I know a lot of people who have used Benadryl as well and it seems to help their horses. If he's allergic to the flies maybe you could try that new Cashel brand "bug armor". I've never tried it and I don't know anyone who has, but it suppossedly covers every inch of the horse's body and it could be helpful. Good luck. I hope he gets better soon! [smiley Wavey]

I know a lot of people who have used Benadryl as well and it seems to help their horses. If he's allergic to the flies maybe you could try that new Cashel brand "bug armor". I've never tried it and I don't know anyone who has, but it suppossedly covers every inch of the horse's body and it could be helpful. Good luck. I hope he gets better soon! [smiley Wavey]

My mom and I looked at the pics and it looks just like what two of jour horses have. We call it summer itch and they get it quite a bit. Quincy one guy gets it on his chest and shoulders and our old guy Ed has it on his belly and sides. We use and are currently using MTG to regrow the hair and since it is oily it helps with the itch of the dry skin. We usually get this every summer on the boys in AZ so we have never called teh vet for it, but if you feel you are unsure do call the vet. Our guys also get huge welts if the flies bite him in one spot to much. We haven't found a way to stop them yet, just ways to help the aftermath. Hope that helps.

My mom and I looked at the pics and it looks just like what two of jour horses have. We call it summer itch and they get it quite a bit. Quincy one guy gets it on his chest and shoulders and our old guy Ed has it on his belly and sides. We use and are currently using MTG to regrow the hair and since it is oily it helps with the itch of the dry skin. We usually get this every summer on the boys in AZ so we have never called teh vet for it, but if you feel you are unsure do call the vet. Our guys also get huge welts if the flies bite him in one spot to much. We haven't found a way to stop them yet, just ways to help the aftermath. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone! You are great help. I have some MTG so I'll see if that will help. Thanks again so much!

[Cool]

Thanks everyone! You are great help. I have some MTG so I'll see if that will help. Thanks again so much!

[Cool]