Sign in to follow this  
EventingRed

Sand Collic??

Ok, have a couple of questions about sand collic. First off, it is by eating sand or dirt right?? what causes them to collic if they eat off the ground? are all ground fed horses at risk for sand collic? also, i think i have seen like a supplement for feed for sand collic, anyone herd of it?

THANKS

-Red [smiley Wavey]

Ok, have a couple of questions about sand collic. First off, it is by eating sand or dirt right?? what causes them to collic if they eat off the ground? are all ground fed horses at risk for sand collic? also, i think i have seen like a supplement for feed for sand collic, anyone herd of it?

THANKS

-Red [smiley Wavey]

Sand colic is by eating dirt or sand, and what causes them to colic is that they have consumed too much sand or dirt, and that causes an impaction which leads to colic. All ground-fed horses consume SOME sand or dirt, but not enough to cause an impaction. I've never heard nor seen a supplement or feed to prevent sand impaction, but I know bran mashes are very good since they wash virtually everything out of the system. Hope I helped. [smile]

Sand colic is by eating dirt or sand, and what causes them to colic is that they have consumed too much sand or dirt, and that causes an impaction which leads to colic. All ground-fed horses consume SOME sand or dirt, but not enough to cause an impaction. I've never heard nor seen a supplement or feed to prevent sand impaction, but I know bran mashes are very good since they wash virtually everything out of the system. Hope I helped. [smile]

Ground fed horses may be at risk for sand colic. If you have a horse that is prone to sand colic you would be wise to feed it off the ground. Psyllium, found in supplements like Sandclear, is used for at-risk horses

Ground fed horses may be at risk for sand colic. If you have a horse that is prone to sand colic you would be wise to feed it off the ground. Psyllium, found in supplements like Sandclear, is used for at-risk horses

quote:

I've never heard nor seen a supplement or feed to prevent sand impaction, but I know bran mashes are very good since they wash virtually everything out of the system

Actually, bran does not prevent colic or flush the system of sand. It's an old myth that is false. The only way to prevent sand colic is to keep their feed off of the ground and/or supplement with phsyllium (spelling?) for 7 days once a month. This supplement does prevent sand impaction.

Good luck!

[ 07-24-2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Dawndi ]

quote:

I've never heard nor seen a supplement or feed to prevent sand impaction, but I know bran mashes are very good since they wash virtually everything out of the system

Actually, bran does not prevent colic or flush the system of sand. It's an old myth that is false. The only way to prevent sand colic is to keep their feed off of the ground and/or supplement with phsyllium (spelling?) for 7 days once a month. This supplement does prevent sand impaction.

Good luck!

[ 07-24-2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Dawndi ]

This is what we do through out the spring & summer.We get people medimucal "the orange flavor, they love it" & give a small dixie cup full in their grain for 7 days straight.This has worked great for us for years.We do it monthly.The human stuff works just as well as the equine products.Also if you want to check to see if your horse is comsuming sand,get a little of his/her poop, put it in a GLASS jar 1/2 full of water. If there is sand,it will sift from the poop & be on the bottom of the jar.

This is what we do through out the spring & summer.We get people medimucal "the orange flavor, they love it" & give a small dixie cup full in their grain for 7 days straight.This has worked great for us for years.We do it monthly.The human stuff works just as well as the equine products.Also if you want to check to see if your horse is comsuming sand,get a little of his/her poop, put it in a GLASS jar 1/2 full of water. If there is sand,it will sift from the poop & be on the bottom of the jar.

Bran is the WORST thing you can give a horse w/ sand in its gut! The bran causes more problems because it balls up w/ the sand in the gut. The bran/sand ball just gets bigger and bigger. A vet I know use to go and do necrospsies for insurance companies. He has found balls the size of a basketball in the gut. Sandclear or metimucal is a much better option than bran!

Bran is the WORST thing you can give a horse w/ sand in its gut! The bran causes more problems because it balls up w/ the sand in the gut. The bran/sand ball just gets bigger and bigger. A vet I know use to go and do necrospsies for insurance companies. He has found balls the size of a basketball in the gut. Sandclear or metimucal is a much better option than bran!

Hi there~ Bran mashes with or without mineral oil aren't dangerous at all, if the horse doesn't have a problem with sand colic. Don't worry about it, if you're in an area/situation where it's a concern, just use the metamucil one week a month, it's very easy and works extremely well. keep in mind, you may not have heard to much about it if you live in an area where it's not really a concern...

Hi there~ Bran mashes with or without mineral oil aren't dangerous at all, if the horse doesn't have a problem with sand colic. Don't worry about it, if you're in an area/situation where it's a concern, just use the metamucil one week a month, it's very easy and works extremely well. keep in mind, you may not have heard to much about it if you live in an area where it's not really a concern...

we live in sand city and we don't feed off the ground... but horses will dribble and vaccumn so... we also don't remove manure. We water and drag the yard to mix in the poo with the dirt/sand.

I've been dealing with sand for years. I was told Sand is bad because it's so heavy. It tends to end up on the bottom of the colon and it's hard for horses to move sand thru the loops in the intestines. (if it does move it can act like sand paper and irritate the linning.) So it is in your best intrest to do what you can to keep as much sand out of their feed as possible, and off the ground.

You can use A Mat or old carpet..

A feed box or old bathtub instead of an up feeder..

A tractor tire with wood under it. (also helps to cut the bottom ring out of it so it sits flat.)

Do the sand test as previously suggested.. you'll be able to see the sand when you swish/dissolve some in a glass of water.

There are different types of Psyllium. Symphony wouldn't eat the beet pulp one, so I got an Apple flavored one and she likes it (but won't eat [Confused] apples??)

[ 07-25-2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: tockita ]

we live in sand city and we don't feed off the ground... but horses will dribble and vaccumn so... we also don't remove manure. We water and drag the yard to mix in the poo with the dirt/sand.

I've been dealing with sand for years. I was told Sand is bad because it's so heavy. It tends to end up on the bottom of the colon and it's hard for horses to move sand thru the loops in the intestines. (if it does move it can act like sand paper and irritate the linning.) So it is in your best intrest to do what you can to keep as much sand out of their feed as possible, and off the ground.

You can use A Mat or old carpet..

A feed box or old bathtub instead of an up feeder..

A tractor tire with wood under it. (also helps to cut the bottom ring out of it so it sits flat.)

Do the sand test as previously suggested.. you'll be able to see the sand when you swish/dissolve some in a glass of water.

There are different types of Psyllium. Symphony wouldn't eat the beet pulp one, so I got an Apple flavored one and she likes it (but won't eat [Confused] apples??)

[ 07-25-2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: tockita ]

Once a month I supplement my horses with Sandblast in their feed for 7 days. Never had a sand colic yet. Bran mashes are messy and I've heard they don't help nearly as much as the psyllium supplement.

Once a month I supplement my horses with Sandblast in their feed for 7 days. Never had a sand colic yet. Bran mashes are messy and I've heard they don't help nearly as much as the psyllium supplement.