Sign in to follow this  
Cowgirl03

HURT COLT !!

Hey everyone.. I had a little colt born last thursday.. when i found him he was hung in barbed wire and his hind leg was stretched out.. He is now walking but sliding his leg (he isn't picking it up.. he is only sliding it) The vet came to look and him and said he had pulled muscles in his hind leg and his hind quarters.. he told me to just keep doing physical thearpy ( stretching it and making him move it) would help and that he is going to just fine in a couple days to a week.. He said NOTHING was broken and everything was in place.. Will making him move it help him? Do you have any suggestions? How can I help him start using it? Is he ever going to walk on that leg agian and how can I help??? I need some advice! Thank you! I know the vet said it is going to be fine.. but I am concerned.. OH and he is getting up on his own and drinking lots of milk! I don't have to help him up.. he can walk but he slides that hind leg... [Me Cry]

Hey everyone.. I had a little colt born last thursday.. when i found him he was hung in barbed wire and his hind leg was stretched out.. He is now walking but sliding his leg (he isn't picking it up.. he is only sliding it) The vet came to look and him and said he had pulled muscles in his hind leg and his hind quarters.. he told me to just keep doing physical thearpy ( stretching it and making him move it) would help and that he is going to just fine in a couple days to a week.. He said NOTHING was broken and everything was in place.. Will making him move it help him? Do you have any suggestions? How can I help him start using it? Is he ever going to walk on that leg agian and how can I help??? I need some advice! Thank you! I know the vet said it is going to be fine.. but I am concerned.. OH and he is getting up on his own and drinking lots of milk! I don't have to help him up.. he can walk but he slides that hind leg... [Me Cry]

Don't worry! If the vet thinks he'll be fine then I'm sure he will be! I know how scary it is though when your horse is hurt! Just do what the vet said and he'll get better! Good luck! [Huggy]

[ 07-23-2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: j'adore mon cheval ]

Don't worry! If the vet thinks he'll be fine then I'm sure he will be! I know how scary it is though when your horse is hurt! Just do what the vet said and he'll get better! Good luck! [Huggy]

[ 07-23-2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: j'adore mon cheval ]

Did the vet do x-rays? If not, he cant be 100% certian that something isnt broken up in the hip.

From my MILs past experience. She had a filly that fractured her stifle somehow. It did get better but during her rehab time she managed to fracture it again, this time completely. First trip to the vet, he missed it, said she had torn/pulled something. She was dragging the leg and not even bearing weight. After a week, I saw no improvement had her take the filly back for x-rays. The fracture was found and she was euthanized.

I hope the best for your colt and hope its just a lot of muscle strain. Keep us posted.

Did the vet do x-rays? If not, he cant be 100% certian that something isnt broken up in the hip.

From my MILs past experience. She had a filly that fractured her stifle somehow. It did get better but during her rehab time she managed to fracture it again, this time completely. First trip to the vet, he missed it, said she had torn/pulled something. She was dragging the leg and not even bearing weight. After a week, I saw no improvement had her take the filly back for x-rays. The fracture was found and she was euthanized.

I hope the best for your colt and hope its just a lot of muscle strain. Keep us posted.