Sign in to follow this  
sam_brennick21

Mare's Teeny Butt Blues...any suggestions?

Hello! I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on weight gain, particularly in the hindquarters? My 13 year old Lactating appaloosa mare (toting new foal) has always had a teeny butt...and i mean SMALL! her hips jut out and her topline is terrible. She's always been a hardkeeper (we put atleast 10 pounds of oat-corn feed in her a day) but since she had her colt, her condition has started to scare me. Her ribs are slightly visible, and she's lost a lot of weight. She's skinny, but has a hay belly also -- weird huh? The foal is about to be weaned (within a week or two) so I'm not too worried...but any tips on the butt thing are HIGHLY APPRECIATED! Thanks a ton!

Hello! I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on weight gain, particularly in the hindquarters? My 13 year old Lactating appaloosa mare (toting new foal) has always had a teeny butt...and i mean SMALL! her hips jut out and her topline is terrible. She's always been a hardkeeper (we put atleast 10 pounds of oat-corn feed in her a day) but since she had her colt, her condition has started to scare me. Her ribs are slightly visible, and she's lost a lot of weight. She's skinny, but has a hay belly also -- weird huh? The foal is about to be weaned (within a week or two) so I'm not too worried...but any tips on the butt thing are HIGHLY APPRECIATED! Thanks a ton!

calf mana was what my mom used on her appy mare after she foaled. It put wieght on her. We also have used sweet feed. We now have the geriatric ward (30,22 and 16) so we feed equine senior and it keeps the weight now. but calf mana will also give her the nutrients she needs now.

calf mana was what my mom used on her appy mare after she foaled. It put wieght on her. We also have used sweet feed. We now have the geriatric ward (30,22 and 16) so we feed equine senior and it keeps the weight now. but calf mana will also give her the nutrients she needs now.

What is your worming schedual? How often do you rotate kinds? What about teeth? When was the last time they were floated. You could start giving her cornoil with her grain, start with a cup once a day.

This is a little farfetched, but is she a little stiff when ridden? Majorly one sided? resists collection, does she stand slightly camped out in the back? if so try doing a google search for lubluxcation. If not then never mind [Razz]

What is your worming schedual? How often do you rotate kinds? What about teeth? When was the last time they were floated. You could start giving her cornoil with her grain, start with a cup once a day.

This is a little farfetched, but is she a little stiff when ridden? Majorly one sided? resists collection, does she stand slightly camped out in the back? if so try doing a google search for lubluxcation. If not then never mind [Razz]

You'll find a fair few mares after having foals never lose that belly of gain muscle on their rumps or topline. It's because of the muscles they use to hold their foals.

This is probably also a way of her body telling you no more foals from her. Don't forget all her goodies in her are now going to the colt (if he hasn't been weaned)

You'll find a fair few mares after having foals never lose that belly of gain muscle on their rumps or topline. It's because of the muscles they use to hold their foals.

This is probably also a way of her body telling you no more foals from her. Don't forget all her goodies in her are now going to the colt (if he hasn't been weaned)

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! My horse is wormed monthly, and it has been about 2 weeks. Also, thanks for warning me about future breedings -- this has made me second thought breeding her again, because i would like to work on training. thank you again everyone!

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! My horse is wormed monthly, and it has been about 2 weeks. Also, thanks for warning me about future breedings -- this has made me second thought breeding her again, because i would like to work on training. thank you again everyone!

Hi there~ What's her feeding schedule look like? she should be on good quality pasture with hay optional if it's doesn't have enough legumes in it. If she's not pastured with good quality pasture 24-7, she should have high quality hay free choice 24-7(there should ALWAYS be some still there for her to choose to eat, if it's gone by the AM or PM up what you're giving her). There are a lot of nutritional needs that also increase, and the easiest way to be sure she's getting what she needs is to buy a "mare and foal" feed and use that. They do need more when they're lactating, so it may seem like she's requiring 'too much' but it's not. Have you ever had a child or nursed? Just wondering LOL, I have and i'm sure others have and I can certainly vouch that your needs go WAY up! I'm a small woman and I ate ALL THE TIME while I was pregnant, but when I was nursing I ate double what I did during pregnancy and didn't gain a pound...that foal requires a lot and that needs to be added to her diet. Rice bran it also good for keeping weight on...My best advice it to call your vet. They can help you come up with a good feeding schedule for her if you're not familiar with nutritional needs and ratios...

Hi there~ What's her feeding schedule look like? she should be on good quality pasture with hay optional if it's doesn't have enough legumes in it. If she's not pastured with good quality pasture 24-7, she should have high quality hay free choice 24-7(there should ALWAYS be some still there for her to choose to eat, if it's gone by the AM or PM up what you're giving her). There are a lot of nutritional needs that also increase, and the easiest way to be sure she's getting what she needs is to buy a "mare and foal" feed and use that. They do need more when they're lactating, so it may seem like she's requiring 'too much' but it's not. Have you ever had a child or nursed? Just wondering LOL, I have and i'm sure others have and I can certainly vouch that your needs go WAY up! I'm a small woman and I ate ALL THE TIME while I was pregnant, but when I was nursing I ate double what I did during pregnancy and didn't gain a pound...that foal requires a lot and that needs to be added to her diet. Rice bran it also good for keeping weight on...My best advice it to call your vet. They can help you come up with a good feeding schedule for her if you're not familiar with nutritional needs and ratios...