Sign in to follow this  
horses89

Preventing Proud Flesh?

My older mare recently put my weanling filly in her *place* and was chasing her around the paddock. In the process, my weanling hit her leg against the fence, causing quite the cut. She bled for a while and I hosed it off and put some ointment on it. It's swollen right now but she'll put weight on it. I've been walking her several times a day to promote circulation and cold hosing it twice a day, after which I apply antibiotic spray. Is there anything I can do to promote healing and to prevent the formation of proud flesh?

My older mare recently put my weanling filly in her *place* and was chasing her around the paddock. In the process, my weanling hit her leg against the fence, causing quite the cut. She bled for a while and I hosed it off and put some ointment on it. It's swollen right now but she'll put weight on it. I've been walking her several times a day to promote circulation and cold hosing it twice a day, after which I apply antibiotic spray. Is there anything I can do to promote healing and to prevent the formation of proud flesh?

You want to be careful about closing up wounds. My friend's foal ran through a fence during weaning and got a nasty cut on his chest. The vet stitched it togther, with a comment like "this will keep any dirt from getting in the wound." Well, he got a really nasty infection that took forever to heal.

You want to be careful about closing up wounds. My friend's foal ran through a fence during weaning and got a nasty cut on his chest. The vet stitched it togther, with a comment like "this will keep any dirt from getting in the wound." Well, he got a really nasty infection that took forever to heal.

I've used Wonder Dust, and even on a joint (back of the pastern), it prevented proud flesh from forming. Just apply it after each time you hose the leg with cold water.

If the swelling doesn't go down soon, though, I would call your vet just to see if you should be giving her antibiotics of some type.

Edited to add: If the leg feels hot to the touch, you should probably get some antibiotics to stop/prevent infection.

[ 07-25-2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: ShariH ]

I've used Wonder Dust, and even on a joint (back of the pastern), it prevented proud flesh from forming. Just apply it after each time you hose the leg with cold water.

If the swelling doesn't go down soon, though, I would call your vet just to see if you should be giving her antibiotics of some type.

Edited to add: If the leg feels hot to the touch, you should probably get some antibiotics to stop/prevent infection.

[ 07-25-2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: ShariH ]

To answer your question re: what to use to prevent proud flesh....there are two things I know of. One is a spray that can be found in catalogs (can't remember the name because my friend gave it to me to use once on my horse). It sprays out a yellow powder. The second thing I have used is - believe it or not - meat tenderizer. But, when my horse got a bad cut years ago on her hind ankle just above the front of the coronary band, I remember cleaning it out well (you can use povidine), putting furicin on it, covering it with a large gauze pad and wrapping it with vet wrap for the first several days. Then as it began to heal, I used the furicin and sprinkled on the meat tenderizer - then rebandaged it as above. It healed nicely and no proud flesh. [Huggy]

To answer your question re: what to use to prevent proud flesh....there are two things I know of. One is a spray that can be found in catalogs (can't remember the name because my friend gave it to me to use once on my horse). It sprays out a yellow powder. The second thing I have used is - believe it or not - meat tenderizer. But, when my horse got a bad cut years ago on her hind ankle just above the front of the coronary band, I remember cleaning it out well (you can use povidine), putting furicin on it, covering it with a large gauze pad and wrapping it with vet wrap for the first several days. Then as it began to heal, I used the furicin and sprinkled on the meat tenderizer - then rebandaged it as above. It healed nicely and no proud flesh. [Huggy]

I also have herd of meat tenderizer that it works well, but I have never used it myself.

Marc

quote:

Originally posted by Willy ShoMaker:

To answer your question re: what to use to prevent proud flesh....there are two things I know of. One is a spray that can be found in catalogs (can't remember the name because my friend gave it to me to use once on my horse). It sprays out a yellow powder. The second thing I have used is - believe it or not - meat tenderizer. But, when my horse got a bad cut years ago on her hind ankle just above the front of the coronary band, I remember cleaning it out well (you can use povidine), putting furicin on it, covering it with a large gauze pad and wrapping it with vet wrap for the first several days. Then as it began to heal, I used the furicin and sprinkled on the meat tenderizer - then rebandaged it as above. It healed nicely and no proud flesh.
[Huggy]

I also have herd of meat tenderizer that it works well, but I have never used it myself.

Marc

quote:

Originally posted by Willy ShoMaker:

To answer your question re: what to use to prevent proud flesh....there are two things I know of. One is a spray that can be found in catalogs (can't remember the name because my friend gave it to me to use once on my horse). It sprays out a yellow powder. The second thing I have used is - believe it or not - meat tenderizer. But, when my horse got a bad cut years ago on her hind ankle just above the front of the coronary band, I remember cleaning it out well (you can use povidine), putting furicin on it, covering it with a large gauze pad and wrapping it with vet wrap for the first several days. Then as it began to heal, I used the furicin and sprinkled on the meat tenderizer - then rebandaged it as above. It healed nicely and no proud flesh.
[Huggy]