Sign in to follow this  
bluehorse_198

Weight Issue!!

I have a 3 1/2 yr old gelding that was a rescue horse. he was really really skinny when we got him, and he has been slowly put on some weight. He is on 4-6 flakes of hay each day, and is in the pasture for most of the day. I ride/work him only about 2-3 times a week and mainly walking with some trotting. He was wormed recently too.

currently he is on

4-6 flakes of hay each day

Grain:

1-1 1/2 pounds of higher fat/protein grain

1/2 c. Rice bran

3 c. of soaked alfalfa cubes

1/2 c. canola oil

1/2 c. Dr. Reeds vitamin and minerals.

Fresh water is also ALWAYS available to him and a salt block.

:S My question, i dont want him to be skinny during the winter, so what can else can i give him or do for him to help him gain weight. Im thinking about only riding him once a week and lungeing him only 1 or 2 times. Thanx for you help [big Grin]

I have a 3 1/2 yr old gelding that was a rescue horse. he was really really skinny when we got him, and he has been slowly put on some weight. He is on 4-6 flakes of hay each day, and is in the pasture for most of the day. I ride/work him only about 2-3 times a week and mainly walking with some trotting. He was wormed recently too.

currently he is on

4-6 flakes of hay each day

Grain:

1-1 1/2 pounds of higher fat/protein grain

1/2 c. Rice bran

3 c. of soaked alfalfa cubes

1/2 c. canola oil

1/2 c. Dr. Reeds vitamin and minerals.

Fresh water is also ALWAYS available to him and a salt block.

:S My question, i dont want him to be skinny during the winter, so what can else can i give him or do for him to help him gain weight. Im thinking about only riding him once a week and lungeing him only 1 or 2 times. Thanx for you help [big Grin]

i wouldnt feed him all that, and not ride him much. to much fat and things could make him WAY to obese.

what you have him on now, is a bit overboard.

but, if you feel you NEED him to gain more weight, feed LOTS of hay, and beet pulp.

i wouldnt feed him all that, and not ride him much. to much fat and things could make him WAY to obese.

what you have him on now, is a bit overboard.

but, if you feel you NEED him to gain more weight, feed LOTS of hay, and beet pulp.

Increase his feed.

He should be at 3% of his body weight a day in hay/pasture. A 1000 pound horse would be getting 30 pounds of hay a day. What does the six flakes of hay weigh?(total)Weigh it on a bathroom scale and figure 30 pounds a day. Hay/pasture is the most important part of a horses diet because it is fiber.

Increase the fat oils to 1 cup a day. Fats can be up to 10% of the horses daily diet. Since it is a 100% fat, you can feed less of this then the rice bran. Rice bran is only 22% fat. Incease the rice bran too.

Rice bran, grain should be fed at 1 pound per 100 pounds of horse weight. 1000 pound horse would be getting 10 pounds of grain a day- 5 in the am and 5 in the pm. Keep in mind, research shows grains to cause colic, founder, diarrhea, tying up and other health problems. If you can use a different type of wieght gaining feed you should. Rice bran, fat oils, and beet pulp. Beet pulp is safe to feed as much as you want since it is a fiber and not a grain. Beet pulp is also great for hard keepers and underweight horses. Here is a site for feeding beet pulp:

www.thehorse.com/printarticle.aspx?ID=314

So, increase everything but the vitamins/minerals and grains. Follow the directions on the vitamin bag/container. Increase the rice bran to a cup twice a day and deffentaley increase the hay/pasture. *As long as he is already adjusted to all this feed, then increase slowly.

Have his teeth checked too. Points and hooks interfer with food digestion and will make putting weight on harder.

Have a salt/mineral block avl at all times too.

Increase his feed.

He should be at 3% of his body weight a day in hay/pasture. A 1000 pound horse would be getting 30 pounds of hay a day. What does the six flakes of hay weigh?(total)Weigh it on a bathroom scale and figure 30 pounds a day. Hay/pasture is the most important part of a horses diet because it is fiber.

Increase the fat oils to 1 cup a day. Fats can be up to 10% of the horses daily diet. Since it is a 100% fat, you can feed less of this then the rice bran. Rice bran is only 22% fat. Incease the rice bran too.

Rice bran, grain should be fed at 1 pound per 100 pounds of horse weight. 1000 pound horse would be getting 10 pounds of grain a day- 5 in the am and 5 in the pm. Keep in mind, research shows grains to cause colic, founder, diarrhea, tying up and other health problems. If you can use a different type of wieght gaining feed you should. Rice bran, fat oils, and beet pulp. Beet pulp is safe to feed as much as you want since it is a fiber and not a grain. Beet pulp is also great for hard keepers and underweight horses. Here is a site for feeding beet pulp:

www.thehorse.com/printarticle.aspx?ID=314

So, increase everything but the vitamins/minerals and grains. Follow the directions on the vitamin bag/container. Increase the rice bran to a cup twice a day and deffentaley increase the hay/pasture. *As long as he is already adjusted to all this feed, then increase slowly.

Have his teeth checked too. Points and hooks interfer with food digestion and will make putting weight on harder.

Have a salt/mineral block avl at all times too.