Sign in to follow this  
happyhairdryerphone

Sarcoid Treatments

Hey all. My horse has several sarcoids that I'm currently treating, including a good sized one on her cheek. I used Xterra and am now using corona ointment to soften the scabs and get them to fall off. Most have fallen off and everything is looking nice so far.

But I was wondering, just in case we didn't get the sarcoid this time (in which case I will be SO p.o.ed....) what are some other treatment options? Because it's fairly large and on her face, we're somewhat limited as far as surgical removal or freezing it off. This stuff I used is supposed to have like an 80 or 90% success rate, but I guess I'm paranoid. It's been an ongoing battle with this thing for a few weeks and it's reeeally gross looking to say the least.

Anyway please tell me anything you know and thanks!

p.s. I have had my vet look at it and he recomended my treatment, and we know it's not infected and all that. And as far as fly repelant, she wears a fly mask every day and I use swatt.

thanks again! [big Grin]

Hey all. My horse has several sarcoids that I'm currently treating, including a good sized one on her cheek. I used Xterra and am now using corona ointment to soften the scabs and get them to fall off. Most have fallen off and everything is looking nice so far.

But I was wondering, just in case we didn't get the sarcoid this time (in which case I will be SO p.o.ed....) what are some other treatment options? Because it's fairly large and on her face, we're somewhat limited as far as surgical removal or freezing it off. This stuff I used is supposed to have like an 80 or 90% success rate, but I guess I'm paranoid. It's been an ongoing battle with this thing for a few weeks and it's reeeally gross looking to say the least.

Anyway please tell me anything you know and thanks!

p.s. I have had my vet look at it and he recomended my treatment, and we know it's not infected and all that. And as far as fly repelant, she wears a fly mask every day and I use swatt.

thanks again! [big Grin]

Hi there~ The Xterra usually works really well, it just looks really bad while you're treating it and takes a while to heal. [smile] However, if it doesn't work, the most common treatment is cryotherapy(freezing it off)or in extreme cases, surgical removal...unforunately, that's all I've ever heard of actually working, of course there are many 'herbals' and things out there, but I've never heard of any having any studies behind them nor even antedotal evidence that they work...Have faith in the Xterra, I've used it many times on some very nasty sarcoids with a lot of success

Hi there~ The Xterra usually works really well, it just looks really bad while you're treating it and takes a while to heal. [smile] However, if it doesn't work, the most common treatment is cryotherapy(freezing it off)or in extreme cases, surgical removal...unforunately, that's all I've ever heard of actually working, of course there are many 'herbals' and things out there, but I've never heard of any having any studies behind them nor even antedotal evidence that they work...Have faith in the Xterra, I've used it many times on some very nasty sarcoids with a lot of success

quote:

Originally posted by java19bean:

Hi there~ The Xterra usually works really well, it just looks really bad while you're treating it and takes a while to heal.
[smile]
However, if it doesn't work, the most common treatment is cryotherapy(freezing it off)or in extreme cases, surgical removal...unforunately, that's all I've ever heard of actually working, of course there are many 'herbals' and things out there, but I've never heard of any having any studies behind them nor even antedotal evidence that they work...Have faith in the Xterra, I've used it many times on some very nasty sarcoids with a lot of success

[smile] Thanks that made me feel a lot better. I think I'm just paranoid. I think I should take a pic of it.

See, it looks like pink healthy skin around one part of it, and then another part seems a little, raised i guess and looks like, raw. Its nasty. yeah....well hopefully it works!

quote:

Originally posted by java19bean:

Hi there~ The Xterra usually works really well, it just looks really bad while you're treating it and takes a while to heal.
[smile]
However, if it doesn't work, the most common treatment is cryotherapy(freezing it off)or in extreme cases, surgical removal...unforunately, that's all I've ever heard of actually working, of course there are many 'herbals' and things out there, but I've never heard of any having any studies behind them nor even antedotal evidence that they work...Have faith in the Xterra, I've used it many times on some very nasty sarcoids with a lot of success

[smile] Thanks that made me feel a lot better. I think I'm just paranoid. I think I should take a pic of it.

See, it looks like pink healthy skin around one part of it, and then another part seems a little, raised i guess and looks like, raw. Its nasty. yeah....well hopefully it works!

There is another way to treat them - they inject something (not sure what) into the area that is suppose to boost the immune system. When I had my geldings sarcoid treated it wasn't recommended by my vet as it didn't always work very well and could take multiple treatments. This spring I asked him again about different treatments and he said that they have come out with a new injection that is suppose to be more effective but he hadn't tried it yet.

There is another way to treat them - they inject something (not sure what) into the area that is suppose to boost the immune system. When I had my geldings sarcoid treated it wasn't recommended by my vet as it didn't always work very well and could take multiple treatments. This spring I asked him again about different treatments and he said that they have come out with a new injection that is suppose to be more effective but he hadn't tried it yet.