Sign in to follow this  
njdrumrun

cryptociod(sp?)/proud cut/whatever question

i have a pony that has NEVER tried to mount my mare when she is in season. he has never taken a sexual interest in her at all(smelling, lip curled up high in the air).

he is VERY agressive towards my 3 y.o. gelding, is VERY protective of her and does not let the 3 y.o. near the mare.

yesterday at a horse show my husband said the pony pinned his ears at a stallion and tried to follow after him as if he might challenge him.

could this pony have some testosterone(sp?) in his body even though he doesn't show any other signs?? any thoughts?

i have a pony that has NEVER tried to mount my mare when she is in season. he has never taken a sexual interest in her at all(smelling, lip curled up high in the air).

he is VERY agressive towards my 3 y.o. gelding, is VERY protective of her and does not let the 3 y.o. near the mare.

yesterday at a horse show my husband said the pony pinned his ears at a stallion and tried to follow after him as if he might challenge him.

could this pony have some testosterone(sp?) in his body even though he doesn't show any other signs?? any thoughts?

He could just be a dominant pony. One of my friends has Andalusian stallions they stand for breeding. However, it's her old gelding that dominates all of the stallions.

He could just be a dominant pony. One of my friends has Andalusian stallions they stand for breeding. However, it's her old gelding that dominates all of the stallions.

I've seen quite a few ponies like that. They just seem to have more moxie than their lil bodies need. It has less to do with hormones than plain attitude. I have a small Hackney pony now that would tear holes in my stallion if he could get to him, as well as any gelding on the place. He's fine when turned out with mares. And he's clean gelded.

I've seen quite a few ponies like that. They just seem to have more moxie than their lil bodies need. It has less to do with hormones than plain attitude. I have a small Hackney pony now that would tear holes in my stallion if he could get to him, as well as any gelding on the place. He's fine when turned out with mares. And he's clean gelded.

Have his testosterone checked. It's not expensive. Just a simple blood test. That is the behavior I was seeing in my horse (as well as some discomfort). He is having surgery this week because he did have quite a bit more testosterone than suitable for a gelding.

Have his testosterone checked. It's not expensive. Just a simple blood test. That is the behavior I was seeing in my horse (as well as some discomfort). He is having surgery this week because he did have quite a bit more testosterone than suitable for a gelding.

i agree 100% with everything everyone has stated so far , i myself have a stud , but hes very well mannered no problems like yours. the part that makes me want to say something is when you said he was at a show , was he in his stall / confined etc. or was he out on lead / bridle , under saddle , because if he was then you need to correct that behavior very quickly before it escalates into him attempting to fight another horse while out. this could result in him turning on the handler if not corrected , wether stud or not , agression shown around people should not be allowed wether its aimed at the person or not...

i agree 100% with everything everyone has stated so far , i myself have a stud , but hes very well mannered no problems like yours. the part that makes me want to say something is when you said he was at a show , was he in his stall / confined etc. or was he out on lead / bridle , under saddle , because if he was then you need to correct that behavior very quickly before it escalates into him attempting to fight another horse while out. this could result in him turning on the handler if not corrected , wether stud or not , agression shown around people should not be allowed wether its aimed at the person or not...

thanks guys..i was going to get the vet to check the next time she is out anyway but was curious if anyone else had this. i've only ever seen them ACT like studs.

he was/is scared of adults(someone has really done a job on him), almost impossible to catch without a halter even in a confined space(30 x 30 pen). hard to catch with a halter(if you aren't a kid), a coward on the ground(will run an adult over to get away from the scary thing, but will stand his ground next to a kid). if there is no testosterone, then i think he has Nepoleon syndrome and is compensating the only way he knows how.

it's a shame because someone has put some good training into this pony. he's got a extended trot to die for. the only reason he isn't GONE is because he does everything my kid asks. much braver when someone is on his back...a very different pony.

i wasn't around when he started to follow the stallion so i am not sure how bad/extreme it was. it wasn't the talk of the show so i am guessing it wasn't noticed or barely noticed by others. he has never done anything like that before but then there aren't many stallions around.

[ 07-25-2005, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: njdrumrun ]

thanks guys..i was going to get the vet to check the next time she is out anyway but was curious if anyone else had this. i've only ever seen them ACT like studs.

he was/is scared of adults(someone has really done a job on him), almost impossible to catch without a halter even in a confined space(30 x 30 pen). hard to catch with a halter(if you aren't a kid), a coward on the ground(will run an adult over to get away from the scary thing, but will stand his ground next to a kid). if there is no testosterone, then i think he has Nepoleon syndrome and is compensating the only way he knows how.

it's a shame because someone has put some good training into this pony. he's got a extended trot to die for. the only reason he isn't GONE is because he does everything my kid asks. much braver when someone is on his back...a very different pony.

i wasn't around when he started to follow the stallion so i am not sure how bad/extreme it was. it wasn't the talk of the show so i am guessing it wasn't noticed or barely noticed by others. he has never done anything like that before but then there aren't many stallions around.

[ 07-25-2005, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: njdrumrun ]