Sign in to follow this  
kaytree

Movement fault? Or shoeing issue?

I have an 8 year old QH gelding. I've owned him for 5 months. When I got him he was barefoot, and no one noticed any major movement issues. In the last few weeks, I've been finding cuts on his legs where he has been striking himself on his lower hind fetlock. I realize his conformation leaves something to be desired, but it seems odd that this is a new issue. Our farrier insisted that he have on 4 shoes (he neglected to give us a finite reason, just that "he needs them"), he just got a new trim and set 2 weeks ago (around the time the striking started). Could this new fault be related to shoeing? I don't really know much about feet, but I'm concerned that this farrier is doing more harm than good. What is your take on the situation?

I have an 8 year old QH gelding. I've owned him for 5 months. When I got him he was barefoot, and no one noticed any major movement issues. In the last few weeks, I've been finding cuts on his legs where he has been striking himself on his lower hind fetlock. I realize his conformation leaves something to be desired, but it seems odd that this is a new issue. Our farrier insisted that he have on 4 shoes (he neglected to give us a finite reason, just that "he needs them"), he just got a new trim and set 2 weeks ago (around the time the striking started). Could this new fault be related to shoeing? I don't really know much about feet, but I'm concerned that this farrier is doing more harm than good. What is your take on the situation?

A couple of questions for you...

1) You've owned him for 5 months. Would you say that over the course of that 5 months, his activity has been the same? (ie: have you been riding about the same amount doing the same things or have you recently started doing something different?)

2) "Striking himself on his lower hind fetlock" Do you mean on the inside? As if his rear hoof is knocking into his rear leg?

You will hear all sorts of pros and cons for shoeing or barefoot. All those opinions aside, it sounds to me like you may have a poor farrier. Reasons: 1) A good farrier will explain to you WHY something is necessary and 2) will do as little as possible to interfere with the horses natural movement.

IMHO, I think I'd shop around for another farrier. Normally, I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda gal.

A couple of questions for you...

1) You've owned him for 5 months. Would you say that over the course of that 5 months, his activity has been the same? (ie: have you been riding about the same amount doing the same things or have you recently started doing something different?)

2) "Striking himself on his lower hind fetlock" Do you mean on the inside? As if his rear hoof is knocking into his rear leg?

You will hear all sorts of pros and cons for shoeing or barefoot. All those opinions aside, it sounds to me like you may have a poor farrier. Reasons: 1) A good farrier will explain to you WHY something is necessary and 2) will do as little as possible to interfere with the horses natural movement.

IMHO, I think I'd shop around for another farrier. Normally, I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda gal.

I, too, would demand an explanation for why your horse needs four shoes. Don't get me wrong, some horses do, but I am an advocate of barefoot or only front shoes, if possible. Your farrier should explain to you WHY your horse needs four shoes, and let YOU make the decision!

Also, is he striking himself on the hind inside with his other rear? Are you sure he's not just getting rowdy or silly in the pasture with the others? I would rule that out first before I deduced that he was striking himself.

I, too, would demand an explanation for why your horse needs four shoes. Don't get me wrong, some horses do, but I am an advocate of barefoot or only front shoes, if possible. Your farrier should explain to you WHY your horse needs four shoes, and let YOU make the decision!

Also, is he striking himself on the hind inside with his other rear? Are you sure he's not just getting rowdy or silly in the pasture with the others? I would rule that out first before I deduced that he was striking himself.

His activity level has remained the same. He is striking himself with the opposite hind hoof. I've found the cuts after coming in from a ride, so its not from the pasture.

I will be getting another farrier to look at him in a few weeks, once I move to my new barn (we can only use this farrie at my current barn)

His activity level has remained the same. He is striking himself with the opposite hind hoof. I've found the cuts after coming in from a ride, so its not from the pasture.

I will be getting another farrier to look at him in a few weeks, once I move to my new barn (we can only use this farrie at my current barn)