Sign in to follow this  
At1Dressage

Nu Image Futurity Pellets-Pros/Cons?

I'm not an advocate for feeding a ton of supplements. My motto is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." However, I've got a new colt here and I was wondering what everyone's experience is with Nu Image Futurity Pellets. Do they have any significant effect on healthy growth and development of bone and joints? Are there any studies out there? I don't want to throw good money out, but think this guy needs something to help him along.

Let me tell you a little bit about him. He just arrived yesterday. He is a yearling, and already 16.1hh at the hip. He's got LONG legs, large bone, and HUGE knees. He's going to be 17+hh. He's a bit clumsy his legs are so long.

He is about 200 lbs. underweight & wormy. I'm getting him on a good worming program and am treating it aggressively (don't want to be feeding the worms, I want to feed the horse!). He has never had grain or hay, just grass (hello, this is Florida, and a growing yearling that large NEEDS supplementation..our soil has no nutrients in it thus the grass has very little nutritional value as well).

Anyways, I'm going to eventually have him on 12% pellets, T&A (I'm starting him on it very slowly so as not to make him sick). Supplement-wise he gets electrolytes daily, and I'm going to put on Farnam Weight Builder. He has access to a TM Mineral/Salt Block (which he has been ravishing since he showed up here-he needed it!). That's all.

But, I'm wondering if since he's already a big guy, and is going to be SUCH a big guy, would it be reasonable to put him on some sort of young horse joint supplements?

And if you don't like Nu Image's brand..is there anything else you'd suggest, or would you just let him be?

Elizabeth

I'm not an advocate for feeding a ton of supplements. My motto is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." However, I've got a new colt here and I was wondering what everyone's experience is with Nu Image Futurity Pellets. Do they have any significant effect on healthy growth and development of bone and joints? Are there any studies out there? I don't want to throw good money out, but think this guy needs something to help him along.

Let me tell you a little bit about him. He just arrived yesterday. He is a yearling, and already 16.1hh at the hip. He's got LONG legs, large bone, and HUGE knees. He's going to be 17+hh. He's a bit clumsy his legs are so long.

He is about 200 lbs. underweight & wormy. I'm getting him on a good worming program and am treating it aggressively (don't want to be feeding the worms, I want to feed the horse!). He has never had grain or hay, just grass (hello, this is Florida, and a growing yearling that large NEEDS supplementation..our soil has no nutrients in it thus the grass has very little nutritional value as well).

Anyways, I'm going to eventually have him on 12% pellets, T&A (I'm starting him on it very slowly so as not to make him sick). Supplement-wise he gets electrolytes daily, and I'm going to put on Farnam Weight Builder. He has access to a TM Mineral/Salt Block (which he has been ravishing since he showed up here-he needed it!). That's all.

But, I'm wondering if since he's already a big guy, and is going to be SUCH a big guy, would it be reasonable to put him on some sort of young horse joint supplements?

And if you don't like Nu Image's brand..is there anything else you'd suggest, or would you just let him be?

Elizabeth