Sign in to follow this  
Angel_star

pregnent mare eating Chicken eggs

Hi today as I put my Prego mare Sugar up for the night I thought I would watch her a bit because the other day my sister said she was licking dirt clumps. anyway I watched her fumbling around a chicken egg in her lips and thought she was moving it out of her way because a hen layed it in her hay. well to my suprise she craked it and ate the whole thing! shell and all! I have her on a purina mare care feed for the extra vitamins. what should I do? I know I'll pick up the eggs but what should I add into her feed? And is can this cause her or her unborn foal harm? Thanks! [smile]

Hi today as I put my Prego mare Sugar up for the night I thought I would watch her a bit because the other day my sister said she was licking dirt clumps. anyway I watched her fumbling around a chicken egg in her lips and thought she was moving it out of her way because a hen layed it in her hay. well to my suprise she craked it and ate the whole thing! shell and all! I have her on a purina mare care feed for the extra vitamins. what should I do? I know I'll pick up the eggs but what should I add into her feed? And is can this cause her or her unborn foal harm? Thanks! [smile]

No harm, no foul, just a little extra protein. Some horses develop strasnge tastes, but this one won't hurt her as long as the eggs are fresh.

No harm, no foul, just a little extra protein. Some horses develop strasnge tastes, but this one won't hurt her as long as the eggs are fresh.

oh thanks OZ! :)It's good to know it wont cause any damage. should i go ahead and buy a powderd supplement for her feed? which one has added protein in it?

oh thanks OZ! :)It's good to know it wont cause any damage. should i go ahead and buy a powderd supplement for her feed? which one has added protein in it?

don't forget the calcium-that's basicly what eggshells are. Check and make sure she is getting anough calcium and vitimin D3 in her diet, although the D3 probably isn't as important if she gets lots of turnout in sunny weather.

But Oz is probably right, you shouldn't be worried till she starts breaking into the house and eating pickles and ice cream and sardienes [big Grin]

don't forget the calcium-that's basicly what eggshells are. Check and make sure she is getting anough calcium and vitimin D3 in her diet, although the D3 probably isn't as important if she gets lots of turnout in sunny weather.

But Oz is probably right, you shouldn't be worried till she starts breaking into the house and eating pickles and ice cream and sardienes [big Grin]

My filly isnt pregnant, but when my hen laid her eggs in the pasture(I DID try to move them, but the hen just wouldnt follow. They had embryos in them), my filly just stomped on them all. [Frown] So now I wont have any chics running around [Frown] Ohwell.. I dont know anything about chickens. Ours just came w/ the property.

[Frown]

My filly isnt pregnant, but when my hen laid her eggs in the pasture(I DID try to move them, but the hen just wouldnt follow. They had embryos in them), my filly just stomped on them all. [Frown] So now I wont have any chics running around [Frown] Ohwell.. I dont know anything about chickens. Ours just came w/ the property.

[Frown]

well, I give all my horses salt blocks but I read that she shouldnt have one around the last days of her pregnancy. Am I wrong? this is the same thing as a miniral block right? oops! If im wrong I better buy her a new one! I gave hers to my goats [Crazy] goofy me! hehe Thanks Ppl!

well, I give all my horses salt blocks but I read that she shouldnt have one around the last days of her pregnancy. Am I wrong? this is the same thing as a miniral block right? oops! If im wrong I better buy her a new one! I gave hers to my goats [Crazy] goofy me! hehe Thanks Ppl!

Your horse needs salt EVERY day, don't take that away from her! And minerals is different. They make mineral blocks for horses, and that or loose minerals are what you want.

Your horse needs salt EVERY day, don't take that away from her! And minerals is different. They make mineral blocks for horses, and that or loose minerals are what you want.