Sign in to follow this  
mstevegrrl

Embryo Transfer... anyone have any experience?

I'm considering doing embryo transfer on my 24 year old mare.

I was told that she tore her cervix during her last delivery (which was in '99)

Of course I will have a vet out to have the final word (and find out if her previous owner was just blowing hot air when she told me about that last delivery. For some reason she was very rude)

Anyway, I would like to hear about anyone's experience in this area, how it went, would you do it again? Just tell me about it. I can't seem to find much info on it online.

Thanks!

I'm considering doing embryo transfer on my 24 year old mare.

I was told that she tore her cervix during her last delivery (which was in '99)

Of course I will have a vet out to have the final word (and find out if her previous owner was just blowing hot air when she told me about that last delivery. For some reason she was very rude)

Anyway, I would like to hear about anyone's experience in this area, how it went, would you do it again? Just tell me about it. I can't seem to find much info on it online.

Thanks!

If you have specific questions, I can certainly help.

Its not a decision to be made lightly. Even though prices ARE coming down, you should expect to pay a minimum of about $3500 PER CYCLE.

If you have specific questions, I can certainly help.

Its not a decision to be made lightly. Even though prices ARE coming down, you should expect to pay a minimum of about $3500 PER CYCLE.

My parents just had a transfer done. They had to flush the mare 3 times before they got a viable flush. It cost them around $7,000 for all the flushes, the reciepent mare and ultrasounds. This was not including the board. They can recoup about $1,000 when they take the reciepent mare back to the farm.

You really need to have a awful impressive mare to do a transfer. It is by no means cheap! The mare my parents did was a mutliple stakes producer and there will be a market for the foal. Plus, it can be hard to get a viable flush out of an older mare. The vets that did it for my folks told them that a lot of the flushes from older mares look pretty bad. They were surprised that folks old mare had a fairly good one. They said hers was one of the best they'd seen from a mare her age (23).

Oh, they are still paying board on the recep mare as she needed to stay longer than the old mare to make sure she was safe in foal before they took her home too. So, they are still paying out. I'll have to find out all the costs excluding the stud fee and let you know.

My parents just had a transfer done. They had to flush the mare 3 times before they got a viable flush. It cost them around $7,000 for all the flushes, the reciepent mare and ultrasounds. This was not including the board. They can recoup about $1,000 when they take the reciepent mare back to the farm.

You really need to have a awful impressive mare to do a transfer. It is by no means cheap! The mare my parents did was a mutliple stakes producer and there will be a market for the foal. Plus, it can be hard to get a viable flush out of an older mare. The vets that did it for my folks told them that a lot of the flushes from older mares look pretty bad. They were surprised that folks old mare had a fairly good one. They said hers was one of the best they'd seen from a mare her age (23).

Oh, they are still paying board on the recep mare as she needed to stay longer than the old mare to make sure she was safe in foal before they took her home too. So, they are still paying out. I'll have to find out all the costs excluding the stud fee and let you know.

Okay, I was a little off on my first post. I got the basic fees, not including the stud fees.

$1,000 Booking Fee

$2,500 Just to enroll and do it

$1,000 Mare Fee (recep)

$ 500 Per Flush

This does not include any thing like board, meds (such as Regumate), board on the recep mare, etc. My mom made the comment that by the time it was all done, it would be a very expensive baby! They won't be doing it on this mare in the future but they might on another one, maybe.

These prices were from a big breeding facility. It was actually one of the cheapest and they have a huge band of recep mares to choose from. There were 4 that were on the exact same cycle as my parents mare so they had plenty to choose from.

Okay, I was a little off on my first post. I got the basic fees, not including the stud fees.

$1,000 Booking Fee

$2,500 Just to enroll and do it

$1,000 Mare Fee (recep)

$ 500 Per Flush

This does not include any thing like board, meds (such as Regumate), board on the recep mare, etc. My mom made the comment that by the time it was all done, it would be a very expensive baby! They won't be doing it on this mare in the future but they might on another one, maybe.

These prices were from a big breeding facility. It was actually one of the cheapest and they have a huge band of recep mares to choose from. There were 4 that were on the exact same cycle as my parents mare so they had plenty to choose from.

Ouch. I do understand that its very spendy (I heard between $3500 and $5000). I am just wondering if I'm completely off my rocker, because I want to KEEP the foal. The mare is VERY well bred, I would have never been able to afford anything of her caliber had not she been a rescue. (I got her papers and all) I have had a few preservation breeders (Because of her bloodlines) suggest I try embryo transfer.

I'm also looking into doing a breeding lease on a nice mare, but I haven't been able to find any of the bloodlines I want in my area.

Ouch. I do understand that its very spendy (I heard between $3500 and $5000). I am just wondering if I'm completely off my rocker, because I want to KEEP the foal. The mare is VERY well bred, I would have never been able to afford anything of her caliber had not she been a rescue. (I got her papers and all) I have had a few preservation breeders (Because of her bloodlines) suggest I try embryo transfer.

I'm also looking into doing a breeding lease on a nice mare, but I haven't been able to find any of the bloodlines I want in my area.