Sign in to follow this  
barrel_hottie

Mares being in heat

I know how you feel, I have a girl that always seems to be in heat. Now it really is just that...seems to be. She has really hard cycles and because we have a stud on sight she has gotten into the habit of the behavior. We only found out because we decided to try to breed her during this last time and it turned out that she wasn't in heat, just acting!

However I have heard of very short cycles which will bring them into heat more often. And some of these same mares had false heats in between.

Just a note I also heard that having a stud or active gelding nearby can increase the chance of this.

We ended up using a supplement to help regulate some of this because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Sorry I didn't have more precise info.

I know how you feel, I have a girl that always seems to be in heat. Now it really is just that...seems to be. She has really hard cycles and because we have a stud on sight she has gotten into the habit of the behavior. We only found out because we decided to try to breed her during this last time and it turned out that she wasn't in heat, just acting!

However I have heard of very short cycles which will bring them into heat more often. And some of these same mares had false heats in between.

Just a note I also heard that having a stud or active gelding nearby can increase the chance of this.

We ended up using a supplement to help regulate some of this because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Sorry I didn't have more precise info.

I use Mare Magic which really helps with the cranky and seemed to slow down the frequency of her cycles.

I get it from Valley Vet (valleyvet.com).

Hope it helps.

I use Mare Magic which really helps with the cranky and seemed to slow down the frequency of her cycles.

I get it from Valley Vet (valleyvet.com).

Hope it helps.