Sign in to follow this  
tryinhard

Runny nose, Runny Rear and slight cough! Help!

[surrender] SOS!! My horse has yellowish yucky pouring out of his nose, watery yucky from his hinney and is ocassionaly coughing up mucous. I started him on antibiotic shots yesterday. Today his cough has lessened, the nose is less runny, he is eating alot better, but his hinney is still watery. [Me Cry]

I think this cold(?) started about a week ago, when I noticed his eyes were weeping some yellowish goo in the corners. That seemed to go away for a day or 2 when I noticed a runny nose. The very next day, he did not come up to eat and I found him in the lower pasture, under a shade tree, head lowered, nose runnin and body covered with mosquitos! I immediatley quarentend him, cleaned him up, sprayed him with bug stuff and shot him up with antibiotics. Does anyone have any idea what illness this horse has and if I am treating him properly? [Frown]

[surrender] SOS!! My horse has yellowish yucky pouring out of his nose, watery yucky from his hinney and is ocassionaly coughing up mucous. I started him on antibiotic shots yesterday. Today his cough has lessened, the nose is less runny, he is eating alot better, but his hinney is still watery. [Me Cry]

I think this cold(?) started about a week ago, when I noticed his eyes were weeping some yellowish goo in the corners. That seemed to go away for a day or 2 when I noticed a runny nose. The very next day, he did not come up to eat and I found him in the lower pasture, under a shade tree, head lowered, nose runnin and body covered with mosquitos! I immediatley quarentend him, cleaned him up, sprayed him with bug stuff and shot him up with antibiotics. Does anyone have any idea what illness this horse has and if I am treating him properly? [Frown]

Better to find out first, then medicate.

Antibiotics do nothing against viruses, unless a secondary bacterial infection gets going (not unknown) and at that point it is best to get a vet to prescribe the best antibiotics for the specific bacteria that is attacking your horse.

Qarentine and TLC is a great first step, though.

Better to find out first, then medicate.

Antibiotics do nothing against viruses, unless a secondary bacterial infection gets going (not unknown) and at that point it is best to get a vet to prescribe the best antibiotics for the specific bacteria that is attacking your horse.

Qarentine and TLC is a great first step, though.

If it was my horses I would have gotten the vet out a while ago, the diarrhea is rather serious, they can get rather dehydrated from it, and ditto Diana, antibiotics wont do anything, and do you know you gave him the right dosage? if he does have a bacterial infection that is.

[ 10-04-2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: audrey-mae ]

If it was my horses I would have gotten the vet out a while ago, the diarrhea is rather serious, they can get rather dehydrated from it, and ditto Diana, antibiotics wont do anything, and do you know you gave him the right dosage? if he does have a bacterial infection that is.

[ 10-04-2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: audrey-mae ]

I would call your vet immediately. Could it be choke? The symptoms are a cough and runny nose...not sure about diarrhea, but you best get your vet out. Is he drinking water?

I would call your vet immediately. Could it be choke? The symptoms are a cough and runny nose...not sure about diarrhea, but you best get your vet out. Is he drinking water?

Coco is a whole lot better today. Nose is dryng up and what does run out is white in color, now. His Dirreha has stopped and I am seeing normal poopy. Cough is still present but not as bad as a few days ago. He is eating very well and drinking as usual. I spoke with my trainer who says it is something going around in the area and no one is sure exactly what it is. But, a 3-5 day treatment of penicillian seems to nip it in the bud. This is his third day on the antibiotic and he is doing very nicely. I have been giving him 1 cc for every 100 LB's,(10cc for a 1000 lb horse) as the label indicates. I will keep you posted, as I will keep him on the antibiotics for 2 more days. [Jump]

Coco is a whole lot better today. Nose is dryng up and what does run out is white in color, now. His Dirreha has stopped and I am seeing normal poopy. Cough is still present but not as bad as a few days ago. He is eating very well and drinking as usual. I spoke with my trainer who says it is something going around in the area and no one is sure exactly what it is. But, a 3-5 day treatment of penicillian seems to nip it in the bud. This is his third day on the antibiotic and he is doing very nicely. I have been giving him 1 cc for every 100 LB's,(10cc for a 1000 lb horse) as the label indicates. I will keep you posted, as I will keep him on the antibiotics for 2 more days. [Jump]

Yep! [bat Eyelashes] He has current WNV shots. I did not get the influenza, rhino, etc. because I was told that I "did not need it, unless I traveled with the horse." That may have been bad advice! [Confused]

Coco is looking much much better. [Jump] Very little boogies and clear in color. No more dirreha....that cleared up by the 2nd day of antibiotics and cough is completely diminished. I did contact my vet, who did advise me to up the dosage from 10cc (as the bottle of antibiotics suggested) to 20cc. The bottle said to treat for no more than 3 days and the vet said I wanted to go 7 full days with these last 4 days of increased dosage. He also said what I actually should of done was 20-25cc for 5-7 days. But, since I had started with the lower dosage, it would not hurt to just up the dosage and go the full 7 days. I thought this was rather strange, since the horse is doing so much better, however, I am following his directions. [Not Worthy]

Yep! [bat Eyelashes] He has current WNV shots. I did not get the influenza, rhino, etc. because I was told that I "did not need it, unless I traveled with the horse." That may have been bad advice! [Confused]

Coco is looking much much better. [Jump] Very little boogies and clear in color. No more dirreha....that cleared up by the 2nd day of antibiotics and cough is completely diminished. I did contact my vet, who did advise me to up the dosage from 10cc (as the bottle of antibiotics suggested) to 20cc. The bottle said to treat for no more than 3 days and the vet said I wanted to go 7 full days with these last 4 days of increased dosage. He also said what I actually should of done was 20-25cc for 5-7 days. But, since I had started with the lower dosage, it would not hurt to just up the dosage and go the full 7 days. I thought this was rather strange, since the horse is doing so much better, however, I am following his directions. [Not Worthy]

Ditto with the above. And you should never give anitbiotics without the vet approval. They do nothing for a virus and sets you (and everyone) up for resistance. Not good.

My horse had a runny nose one day, thick yellow goo, so I didn't ride him for about a week but it went away in a few days. It was probably just a cold.

Ditto with the above. And you should never give anitbiotics without the vet approval. They do nothing for a virus and sets you (and everyone) up for resistance. Not good.

My horse had a runny nose one day, thick yellow goo, so I didn't ride him for about a week but it went away in a few days. It was probably just a cold.