Sign in to follow this  
brookemarc

Not for the faint at heart: sale barn rescue? A note from Brooke PAGE 16

This is the most disturbing horse that I have come across in a sale barn. Yes, I frequent them. Yes, I even buy from them. And last night, I felt I had no other choice than to rescue this poor thing. I am writing to hear suggestions on handling and getting this horse up to proper weight. He is somewhere between 11 and who knows. He is not smooth mouthed and can eat quite well from what I can tell. I picked him up this morning and have him put up in my round pen. I have started feeding him twice a day:

1.5 lbs. of 14% creep pellet

1 cup Black Oil sunflower seeds

1 cup of calf manna

free choice hay and water all day

I also put a trace mineral block out there for him. His feet seem to be in pretty good shape, and he has a nice disposition (This could be because he has NO energy, though [Wink] ).

Any other suggestions or comments? Am I totally stupid for doing this? I felt so sorry for him and very angry at people who could ever do this to a horse. Now I just want him to be okay.

Edited to add: cost of the following horse $10.00

No, that is not a typo.

and here are the pics:

-

-

-

-

-

[ 11-16-2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: brookemarc ]

This is the most disturbing horse that I have come across in a sale barn. Yes, I frequent them. Yes, I even buy from them. And last night, I felt I had no other choice than to rescue this poor thing. I am writing to hear suggestions on handling and getting this horse up to proper weight. He is somewhere between 11 and who knows. He is not smooth mouthed and can eat quite well from what I can tell. I picked him up this morning and have him put up in my round pen. I have started feeding him twice a day:

1.5 lbs. of 14% creep pellet

1 cup Black Oil sunflower seeds

1 cup of calf manna

free choice hay and water all day

I also put a trace mineral block out there for him. His feet seem to be in pretty good shape, and he has a nice disposition (This could be because he has NO energy, though [Wink] ).

Any other suggestions or comments? Am I totally stupid for doing this? I felt so sorry for him and very angry at people who could ever do this to a horse. Now I just want him to be okay.

Edited to add: cost of the following horse $10.00

No, that is not a typo.

and here are the pics:

-

-

-

-

-

[ 11-16-2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: brookemarc ]

I've rarely seen worse still standing, much less walking. Be careful with too much feed at once, or he may colic on you. Small amounts several times a day. And I would invest in some beet pulp, he's going to need all the help you can give him to make it through the winter. Worm him with a half dose of something mild, like safeguard, in about 2 weeks, followed by a full dose 3 weeks later, then in another 3 weeks, use a full dose of ivermectin. Too much worm die-off all at once could kill him as bad as he is.

I've rarely seen worse still standing, much less walking. Be careful with too much feed at once, or he may colic on you. Small amounts several times a day. And I would invest in some beet pulp, he's going to need all the help you can give him to make it through the winter. Worm him with a half dose of something mild, like safeguard, in about 2 weeks, followed by a full dose 3 weeks later, then in another 3 weeks, use a full dose of ivermectin. Too much worm die-off all at once could kill him as bad as he is.

I have never seen a horse that bad still standing... [Mad] Makes me so angry!

I don't know much about getting ones this skinny up to weight, but when my friends OTTB needed to gain weight my trainer said to giver her as much hay as she will eat, but smaller amounts of grain; and to slowly work up from there.

I have never seen a horse that bad still standing... [Mad] Makes me so angry!

I don't know much about getting ones this skinny up to weight, but when my friends OTTB needed to gain weight my trainer said to giver her as much hay as she will eat, but smaller amounts of grain; and to slowly work up from there.

Oh my gosh...that's just too sad [Frown] Poor guy [Frown]

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I do know what Oz has already said about starting him off slowly on the feed.

Good luck, I hope he is going to be okay.

BTW, what is the huge lump on his left hip?

[ 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Sabes's girl ]

Oh my gosh...that's just too sad [Frown] Poor guy [Frown]

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I do know what Oz has already said about starting him off slowly on the feed.

Good luck, I hope he is going to be okay.

BTW, what is the huge lump on his left hip?

[ 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Sabes's girl ]

Bless you for caring, that is so sad. I would like to personally punch the person in the face who let this happen to him. There is just no excuse.............no excuse at all. [Mad]

Bless you for caring, that is so sad. I would like to personally punch the person in the face who let this happen to him. There is just no excuse.............no excuse at all. [Mad]

Oh kodos too you for saving this guy.

It sounds as if your doing good on the feed. MY vet told me they can pretty much has as much creep feed that they want but i never felt easy about that statement. So i always eased it on them several times a day even if only a very little each time.

The beet pulp is a great idea too but soaked to aid in rehydration.

Of course i would suggest getting a tetnanus shot for him.

I agree with do not worm him right now. Like my vet told me, a couple more weeks wont hurt at this point but worming right now could send him into shock. I usually wait for my vet to give me the ok to worm them when i bring one in like him.

The last one i brought in like that was in foal too and she is and the colt are doing wonderfully.

you can see before and after pics at http://www.windwalkerstable.com and click on lady and LB.

You know i am suprised they even let this guy run through the auction. Our local auction will not. You can alley trade them but not run them through like this.

Whomever let him get this way, i would love to give a good tongue lashing too. Even if it ends up being medical for his condition there is still no excuse for letting him go on like this.

Oh kodos too you for saving this guy.

It sounds as if your doing good on the feed. MY vet told me they can pretty much has as much creep feed that they want but i never felt easy about that statement. So i always eased it on them several times a day even if only a very little each time.

The beet pulp is a great idea too but soaked to aid in rehydration.

Of course i would suggest getting a tetnanus shot for him.

I agree with do not worm him right now. Like my vet told me, a couple more weeks wont hurt at this point but worming right now could send him into shock. I usually wait for my vet to give me the ok to worm them when i bring one in like him.

The last one i brought in like that was in foal too and she is and the colt are doing wonderfully.

you can see before and after pics at http://www.windwalkerstable.com and click on lady and LB.

You know i am suprised they even let this guy run through the auction. Our local auction will not. You can alley trade them but not run them through like this.

Whomever let him get this way, i would love to give a good tongue lashing too. Even if it ends up being medical for his condition there is still no excuse for letting him go on like this.

I would get some blood work done on him, so you can really see how much damage is done. The tricky part will be finding a vein with all those bones!! [Wink]

I am sure this guy appreciats all you have done/are doing for him

I would get some blood work done on him, so you can really see how much damage is done. The tricky part will be finding a vein with all those bones!! [Wink]

I am sure this guy appreciats all you have done/are doing for him

[Not Worthy] First off I would like to Thank You for even trying to save this horse.He truely is pitiful. I can't imagine how the past months of his life must have been. Again,Thank You!!!! [Not Worthy]

[Not Worthy] First off I would like to Thank You for even trying to save this horse.He truely is pitiful. I can't imagine how the past months of his life must have been. Again,Thank You!!!! [Not Worthy]

[Not Worthy] Poor guy, I can't believe people would do that. I think he'll be quite pretty with some weight on him as well. Good luck with him, keep us updated.

[shocked][Frown][Me Cry][Eek!] How can some one do this to a living creature? There are horses pastured next to the barn where my guy is pastured at and they look like your new guy, although I don't think there that bad. I told my dad who's seen them also, and told him someone needs to call animal control and help these poor horses, he said yeah they do and nothing else so I don't know if he will. He also said that he doesn't think she'll live much longer in her condition,and some of the others look bad too, I don't think he got my hint, but I'm gonna show my mom tuesday and tell someone should call A.C.

Thank you for saving this horse!!! [Angel]

[Not Worthy] Poor guy, I can't believe people would do that. I think he'll be quite pretty with some weight on him as well. Good luck with him, keep us updated.

[shocked][Frown][Me Cry][Eek!] How can some one do this to a living creature? There are horses pastured next to the barn where my guy is pastured at and they look like your new guy, although I don't think there that bad. I told my dad who's seen them also, and told him someone needs to call animal control and help these poor horses, he said yeah they do and nothing else so I don't know if he will. He also said that he doesn't think she'll live much longer in her condition,and some of the others look bad too, I don't think he got my hint, but I'm gonna show my mom tuesday and tell someone should call A.C.

Thank you for saving this horse!!! [Angel]

[Frown] that poor guy that is very sad, you are a great person to have saved him from certin death,

you have a long road ahead, the previous owners

should have given him up long ago, he is in very

bad shape I have seen horses like him before pull

through, with a lot of food and TLC under them

pile of bones is a very beautiful looking horse:hug: prayers sent to that poor boy. [Angel]

[Frown] that poor guy that is very sad, you are a great person to have saved him from certin death,

you have a long road ahead, the previous owners

should have given him up long ago, he is in very

bad shape I have seen horses like him before pull

through, with a lot of food and TLC under them

pile of bones is a very beautiful looking horse:hug: prayers sent to that poor boy. [Angel]

thank you so much for posting that! When ever I get my own property I am not going to by horses from a sales barn but from a shelter or a equine rescue. I already have a horse that I truly love so I want to help out to those who are unfortunate. I would love to help out with horses in this situation I HATE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS!! Good luck with this horse I wish you the best of luck with her please keep us posted!

thank you so much for posting that! When ever I get my own property I am not going to by horses from a sales barn but from a shelter or a equine rescue. I already have a horse that I truly love so I want to help out to those who are unfortunate. I would love to help out with horses in this situation I HATE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS!! Good luck with this horse I wish you the best of luck with her please keep us posted!

You are one of God`s Horse Angles for sure...Good thing for him you was at the barn that day...This is one of the reasons I dont go to sale barns, I saw that picture of your guy and tears came to my eyes...I would like to save them all but just don`t have the room....

PLEASE keep us updated on him....God Bless you!!

You are one of God`s Horse Angles for sure...Good thing for him you was at the barn that day...This is one of the reasons I dont go to sale barns, I saw that picture of your guy and tears came to my eyes...I would like to save them all but just don`t have the room....

PLEASE keep us updated on him....God Bless you!!